Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #21
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
297977[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>How do I set up SVGA in Win3.11, While using that virtual 8 MB crap card? (I'm stuck]And sound support. VPC gives you a SoundBlaster 16bit. How to set that in Win3.11?[/b]
The famous Control Panel has existed in Windows from the beginning, so go there for any hardware and general configuration needs. I can't help you further, but Windows has its own help.

Quote:
Side question: Is it allowed to compress the Virtual HD and offer that as a pre set and booting disk for people who just want to experience Windows3.11 (again). Or does this count as offering Windows 3.11 itself and therefor not being allowed.

Cause, I have to say. It's a lot easier to set something up IF the Hard disk ITSELF can boot up.

Or maybe having only dos 7.1 on it, since it's installed under a GNU/GPL Freeware licence .[/b]
That would clearly amount to distributing protected software. Also it's the first time I hear that DOS 7.1 is GPL, I think you might be speaking about FreeDOS. Distributing a virtual hard drive with FreeDOS installed, I'd bet it's fine, but to be sure read FreeDOS's licence.
Old 13-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #22
jg007
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTX2GvO @ Jul 5 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]297977[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Quote:
And sound support. VPC gives you a SoundBlaster 16bit. How to set that in Win3.11?[/b]
The famous Control Panel has existed in Windows from the beginning, so go there for any hardware and general configuration needs. I can't help you further, but Windows has its own help.

[/b]
Try -

Creative website

I'm not sure if this will work as is for SB proper but I don't have Win 3.11 to try on if not try googling the soundcard that is emulated in Virtual machine and trying the manufacturers website
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 14-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #23
Japo
Autonomous human

By the way if you're having hardware problems in VPC try using DOSBox instead to run Win3, you'll have compatible graphic and sound cards.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #24
strider2

Virtual pc 2004 works with all editions of windows. I've tested and upgraded all of the operating systems. The only setback was the trouble I went through upgrade from windows 3.x to 98. All of the cds were "upgrade" based, and required the previous operating system to be present before the newer one could be installed. After messing with floppy images, and cd images. I finally managed to get virtual pc working with 98 only to find that rayman still did not play music.
strider2 is offline                         Send a private message to strider2
Old 09-08-2007, 02:16 AM   #25
STFM
Abandonia nerd

An alternative is VMWare. Download the workstation 30 day trial, create a set of images, use the free VMware player to mount the images.
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #26
dosraider
Dismembered.

After installing W98(SE) in VPC you must go install the additions.
Run W98 in VPC, go to menu above ACTION, select install or update VM additions, an ISO will be mounted, run the setup, the SB support and some better vidcard drivers will install automatically. Also you will be able to use your 'shared folders'.

VPC2007 doesn't has the MSDOS SB additions, but the VPC2004 MSDOS additions work. The MSDOS additions are a floppy image, you must mount that manually and run the install. If you install those BEFORE installing W3.11, W3.11 will recognise the SB and install its support automatically.

But the easiest way to get W3.11 running on a modern PC is using dosbox 0.70/0.71 , in 800X600 or even 1024X768.
There is a howto on VOGONs.
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #27
strider2

I remember installing vm additions and receiving multiple issues, I could not go into full screen mode and always received an exclamation message.
strider2 is offline                         Send a private message to strider2
Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #28
dosraider
Dismembered.

Had that problem also, but only in WIN95, never in W98(SE).
Maybe you had it in W98 because you used an upgrade version?
I use the full versions.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 13-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #29
airsoftsnake

The only problem I think with virtual pc and/or vmware is that you really need a multi-processor PC to actually enjoy it.

If you are running it in a single CPU pc, it's slow like molasses... Actually, on hyperthreaded PCs it's a little less slow, but really with a multi, it's the best!

I've been doing programming with a 4way dual CPU machine, and it kicks behind with 5 virtual machines running!
airsoftsnake is offline                         Send a private message to airsoftsnake
Old 13-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #30
dosraider
Dismembered.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airsoftsnake @ Aug 13 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]304443[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The only problem I think with virtual pc and/or vmware is that you really need a multi-processor PC to actually enjoy it.
If you are running it in a single CPU pc, it's slow like molasses... Actually, on hyperthreaded PCs it's a little less slow, but really with a multi, it's the best!
[/b]
Now, let talk seriously, shall we?
My PC:
AMD athlon64-3500+/1Gig -(As far as I know that's a single core, yes?)-

Runs Quake in 800x600 in VPC-dos6.22 smoothly.(Was pre DB 0.70 - now I use dosbox 0.71 for that).
Runs A-10 Cuba in VPC-W95 smoothly.(Was needed to take screenies for another site, the screenies in XP were complete crap.)
Runs Quake II in 800x600 in VPC-W98 smoothly.( Did some server Q2 tests in VPC, safier than on my XP.)
Runs Vista reasonable in VPC. (But that one runs better in VirtualBox).

So: No, you don't need a dual/quad core to run things in VPC.
Basicly it's the same thing as for Dosbox:
If your Windows crawls your emus / VMs will crawl.
How more crap and eye candy you have running on the background in Windows, the more all those emus / VMs will lag.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*