Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
mkrco

Default Millennia: Altered Destinies [2010]

I played this game quite a few years ago but I can't for the life of me seem to remember. I literally went through the whole abandonia, HOTU, and even dosbox game lists in the hope that it might jog my memory, but I can't. In the game you play the part of a time traveller. You have a spaceship/time machine. And there are 3 or 4 different species which you can seed throughout the galaxy. Your task then is to guide each of the species to intelligence, industrialism, and eventually space conquest. The way this is done is that, as a time traveller you can scan the whole timeline for each species (from beginning to end) and you can locate the critical events in their history and try to change them by giving instructions to your little minions. Often times they'll also ask you for help with natural disasters,etc. I remember the game being very hard, but a lot of fun because you could change particular events and watch the whole future of the species change. Then if you don't like it, just go back and try changing it again. But I think there was also something about not being able to meet yourself. Does anyone have any idea what game I'm talking about?? I also remember that you had to get your species to develop fast enough in order to defeat this other species (bad guys) who were hellbent on conquering the galaxy. And you had to balance it in such a way that in the end your species would defeat the bad guys and then each had to control roughly an equal number of star systems in the galaxy. So does anyone else remember this game?? It's beeen driving me crazy the past two days trying to figure it out..

thanks
mkrco is offline                         Send a private message to mkrco
Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Sound interesting, but there are several games that come to mind... none of them would directly fit the description.

Can you give some more info?

Aproximate time frame (when you saw/played it), info about graphics, OS needed (DOS/Windows game - or possible a non-PC game), input device (mouse, keyboard)...

Anyway, here are some games that I could think of that might be simular to what you said:
Utopia
Supremacy
Ascendancy

Zardula Incursion (can't find any refrences for the game, but do own the disc - just a lot of stats, but can't really see the minions you control)
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 02-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
mkrco

You know, this game just randomly popped into my head a couple of days ago, and it was just driving me nuts that I couldn't remember what it was called. So after I wrote that post I went to bed, and when I woke up in the morning I remembered the name all of a sudden. It's called Millennia: Altered Destinies. It's a 1995 game from Take 2 Interactive. I even managed to find a place that still had it.. [removed link] - sold game ~Luchsen

And it seems to run very well in XP under dosbox. This is truly one of the most original games out there. And it is pretty obscure too, I remember it wasn't a big hit at all when it came out, and I just found it randomly floating around a BBS. This game's a real brainteaser, and it's got quite a twist with the time travel bit. Much of the dialogue is pretty funny. And there is a perverse sense of pleasure you get from guiding a race of people, living on an cold icy world for thousands of years. Guiding them all the way up to the brink of space travel, only to then go back in time and erase the invention of fire from their history and watch them disappear real quick. It's not as easy game, but once you start thinking in 4 dimensions you get the hang of it eventually. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.
mkrco is offline                         Send a private message to mkrco
Old 15-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
cackfog

Default [RRS] Millennia: Altered Destinies

hi, looking for an old game, mid 90's i think, i have this realy vivid memory of it but cant remember the title, here goes

your character was taken aboard a spaceship (i forget why, but i remember u weren't there by choice), your only companion was this wierd little alien head hologram thing that gave you advice, there where various screens (rooms) within the ship for differnt purposes. The main objective was to seed four (i think four) different species throughout the galaxy and guide there development in such a way that the balance of power is always even ( i seem to recall the manual saying this was nearly impossible, i certainly couldnt do it but i was only a kid ). Your ship could travel forward and backwards in time aswell as to any star system in the galaxy, allowing you to alter the historys of each species to aid them (or to stop them becoming too powerful).

A few detials i remember very well;

The rooms in the ship where the main control room, galaxy/time line viewing room, some sort of fuel room, and a landing pod that could be used to fly down to the planets you'd seeded(although i could never work the damn thing).

when the ship was low on fuel you would have to go into orbit of a gas giant, it was quite a cool little animation (for its day) from the fuel room, if you stayed in orbit too long the ship would start to take damage, the window would crack etc..

I remember there was an underwater race, they went extinct early on in their development so i traveled back in time to the piont they all died out and comunicated with them, their leader told me they were bieng eaten by giant crabs (or something), he said there warriors spears weren't enough as they would have to stab the crabs three times to kill them, by choosing the right options in the conversation you 'invent' the trident, saving the underwater people from the giant crabs, you could also then take the trident and travel further back in time and give it to them earlier in their history, making them more powerful in the future.

anyway, sorry for the realy long description, i've been looking for this game for nearly a year and i'm starting to think i dreamt it!! but if anybody can help me it'll be you guys, thanks in advance, good gaming!

Cackfog
cackfog is offline                         Send a private message to cackfog
Old 16-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Millennia: Altered Destinies?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/mi...ered-destinies
http://www.hotud.org/component/conte...strategy/20413

Can I get myself a cookie now?
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 16-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
Saccade
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Most definitely.

Now this is a good game
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 16-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
cackfog

you can have all the cookies you want my friend, i will build u a cookie factory with my bare hands, you are litrely my hero!! think thats my plans for 2010 sorted now then, goodbye outside world!

thanks again
cackfog is offline                         Send a private message to cackfog