Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
red_avatar
Administrator

Default VERSUS articles

In every magazine, I'd like a VERSUS article. Basically, you take an oldie and compare it to a more recent game. A few examples:

- Heroes of Might & Magic 1 vs 5
- Quake vs Quake IV
- Broken Sword 1 vs Broken Sword 4
- Alone in the Dark vs Alone in the Dark (5)

The idea is not to examine every aspect of the game but rather to compare the games on the whole. It's supposed to be a one-page thing so it doesn't need to be very long. For example, mention how Alone in the Dark used to be about crazy angles to give the idea you were being watched, devious puzzles, etc. while the new one is really a Tomb Raider type of game etc. etc.

Heck, you don't need to pick a sequel - you can pick a game that is obvious closely related. For example Heroes of M&M versus King's Bounty.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 20-04-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
red_avatar
Administrator

My own first try:

Doom 1&2 vs Doom 3

The Doom trilogy must be the best known series on PC. Heck, they even made a Doom movie! Yet, despite that, there's only ever been three games made that carry its name, and the second was arguably more of an expansion pack than a whole new game. It took 10 years for a sequel to Doom II to arrive, and it was one of the most anticipated releases in gaming history. Yet, a few weeks after release, the fever had already passed because Doom III, while a technological marvel, just couldn't stand up to the expectations of Doom fans all over the world

There's been endless discussions about the current value of Doom 1 & 2 and whether they still are fun to play despite their age. Speaking as someone who has completed both games more times than I can count, I'd say the answer is a resounding "Yes they are!". While Doom may have first wowed people with its excellent graphics, it's the flesh on its bones that kept people playing and playing. The brilliantly designed maps, the haunting sounds, the thrilling music and don't get me started on the excellent weapons! But what made Doom stand out, was the way it combined all these things so perfectly. A healthy variation in weapons, a mix of open areas and claustrophobic corridors, a ton of weak zombies mixed with tougher ones and so many more quality aspects all mix into one of the best First Person Shooters the PC has ever seen.

Doom 3, on the other hand, tried to be something Doom 1/2 never was. Instead of giving us the pleasure of mowing down horde after horde of zombies, they went for a cheap horror movie approach. You're always in some dark corridor where each room seems to trigger a script that sends a zombie or monster your way. It's scary the first 5 times until you realise it happens over and over again. Oh, the weapons are far from bad and the monsters are very well made but why did they make the terrible decision of making everything so damn DARK? Yes, it does add to the atmosphere but the decision to only let you either use a gun or a flash light was a very bad one.

It's also no fun when you need to pump a monster full of lead. Nothing satisfies more than taking down an imp (the brown guys in Doom 1 that throw fire balls) with a blast to the head but for some reason, it took several shots in Doom 3 with the same shotgun! The many MANY scripted sequences make you feel you're not so much playing a game as you are just jumping through hoops id Software set up. It's meant to be cinematic but instead it feels tired after a while. Enter room, wait for monster to spawn or creep up on you, shoot. Rince and repeat.

I do need to tip my hat to the graphics in Doom 3, however. At the time, they really stood out. Sadly enough, it only goes to prove the point I made earlier: graphics alone won't save a game.

Let's hope a proper Doom 4 will be made some day yet. And let's also hope they learn from their mistakes and take a look at what made Doom 1 & 2 so popular. Lots of monsters, powerful weapons, beautiful open areas and great locations. id Software, make us proud of you again!

Last edited by red_avatar; 20-04-2009 at 04:44 AM.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 20-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I could write one between Mechwarrior 1 and Mechwarrior 3 (which is IMHO by far the best part of the series)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
red_avatar
Administrator

Sure go ahead. You can even include MW2 into your article. It was a major game at the time, after all.

Old 20-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

I could do a Unreal versus UT article, but I won't, they -(most members here)-
would kill me, as I love Unreal -(still playing it multiplay COOP)- and find that UT is utterly crap.

BTW, to end with something constructive, you forgot to mention something important in your Doom3 rant.
They (the devs) didn't included COOP in the original game, it was added as fan mod, and I have to say that even if the odds weren't good for COOP in those dark narrow corridors, it's an outstanding COOP gameplay.
That COOP mod on its own makes it worth to buy Doom3.

And maybe you could also add a word about the Doom3 classic mod, Doom gameplay experience with the Doom3 graphics....

Just some thoughts.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 20-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
red_avatar
Administrator

Unreal and UT are too different to compare though unless you throw out the single player experience. Unreal 2 would be a more fitting comparison.

Old 20-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here we go again ....
Unreal COOP compared to UT with the COOP mod.
Etcetera etcetera ...

For good understanding and before this go out of hand:
UT, the first one that is, I repeat: UT.

Unreal2 has nothing to compare it with Unreal, meaning: Unreal2 is total crap, even doesn't have COOP.
Only good thing in Unreal2 were the lovely Skaarj.

Did I respond? Did I really respond? I don't believe it, I really don't believe it.
*sigh*
I did respond.

[Edit]
*Runs away screaming and will NOT return here. Period.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 20-04-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Grumpffffffffffffffffffffffff
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 20-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
red_avatar
Administrator

The problem, if you start counting mods, is that it's a street of no end. I agree how certain mods turn a game around but for the sake of the Versus article, it's more about the direction the developers took the games which makes the article interesting. Mods tend to try and marry the new game with the old ideas which is why Doom 3 Classic for example.

Maybe a different article would be more suited where we talk about interesting mods that overhaul a game.

Old 20-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Maybe a different article would be more suited where we talk about interesting mods that overhaul a game.
That's an idea.
With the number of interesting mods, fan-patches and total conversions out there there would be no shortage of subjects.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Kugar asked me to make a Fallout vs. Fallout 3 comparison....so...im working on it

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb