Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

I still need to finish this game. I'm disappointed by the PC speaker sounds. I wish someone could hack the game to add in better sounds. It's frustrating when the Commodore 64 version has better sounds, but this version has better graphics. I stopped playing when I got mad that there was a door I couldn't pick and apparently I was just a tiny bit under the skill limit and I couldn't find a cheat program to raise my lockpicking or whatever skill that game uses. If anyone knows of one, let me know.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 05-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
Gargantou

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone here would happen to have an archive of the original install disk for this game?

Might sound a bit nutty but I'm collecting the original release(disk copies) of all the Gold Box games, and am lacking the two Buck Rogers ones.

Once again, it's an archive(RAR or ZIP) of the original INSTALL disk that I am looking for, not the pre-installed game available here on Abandonia!

Thanks for any help!
Gargantou is offline                         Send a private message to Gargantou
Old 07-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
CatherineMcClarey

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxor127 View Post
I still need to finish this game. I'm disappointed by the PC speaker sounds. I wish someone could hack the game to add in better sounds. It's frustrating when the Commodore 64 version has better sounds, but this version has better graphics. I stopped playing when I got mad that there was a door I couldn't pick and apparently I was just a tiny bit under the skill limit and I couldn't find a cheat program to raise my lockpicking or whatever skill that game uses. If anyone knows of one, let me know.
An earlier poster suggested removing the MATRIX.CFG file from the installed game before playing it for the first time. This not only allows one to load a saved game from Coundown to Doomsday, but also allows you to specify graphics and sound options. I did this (mainly because I wanted to import my characters from the earlier game), and I've been able to play Matrix Cubed with VGA graphics and SoundBlaster music and sound effects, just like the YouTube videos of this game show.

I know I got through the ratwurst den in Losangelorg (to save the children, of course!) when I originally played this from the floppy disk version decades ago, but it's been a long time since then. When the whole party can attack them, it's not really a problem, but to actually rescue the kids, 1 character has to go through a tunnel and tackle about 5 or 6 of them single-handed. My Desert Runner warrior has plenty of grenades and a grenade launcher, but after that first grenade has been switching to her lighter weapons -- and getting killed by the rats before she can finish them off. Since she's got the highest STR score of anyone in the party, perhaps I should also give her a rocket launcher or plasma thrower temporarily, so she can give the rats a dose of that, then a grenade, and then switch to the lighter weapons? Which of the lighter weapons are most effective against unarmored but nimble animals like ratwurst? They seem to dodge a lot of needle gun shots (and probably would bolt gun shots, too, since they work the same way), so I've been trying laser pistols & rocket pistols instead (for the high rate of fire). Another character has a microwave gun, which only seems to be useful against unarmored animals, so perhaps I could give that to my warrior, too.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 07-02-2010 at 10:51 AM.
CatherineMcClarey is offline                         Send a private message to CatherineMcClarey
Old 09-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
CatherineMcClarey

Unhappy Aargh! The data sharks are eating Scott.dos alive!

One of the last things your character party needs to do before leaving the RAM prison on Mars is to rescue Scott.dos (the digital personality that's been advising your party throughout both Buck Rogers games) from the digital sharks hunting him down in the prison's computer. In order to do this, a character has to make:
A) A successful Programming roll to access the computer;
B) Up to 5 successful Programming rolls to shut down the data cells; and
C) Up to another 5 successful Programming rolls to find the one where Scott.dos is.
If multiple characters in the party have Programming skill, you are given the option to have a second character attempt to complete all this; however, a second failed Programming roll in a row means that Scott.dos is "dead."
My problem is that I only had 1 character develop Programming skill, and it's only at a pretty mediocre level (33%); thus, it's extremely difficult (maybe impossible) for her to succeed at that many Programming rolls in a row.
If anyone is just starting one or the other of SSI's Buck Rogers games, a word of advice: It's possible to "muddle through" a lot in these games (especially in Countdown to Doomsday) with minimal to mediocre skills, but not here in the Mars Prison area. Be more long-term-thinking in your party's skills development than I was, and develop at least 1 character with the highest possible Programming skill (2 if you can manage it!).
If anyone's already completed this game not too long ago -- is it possible to complete the game if Scott.dos does get eaten by the digital sharks?
CatherineMcClarey is offline                         Send a private message to CatherineMcClarey
Old 10-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
CatherineMcClarey

Lightbulb Still trying to save Scott.dos from digital sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineMcClarey View Post
One of the last things your character party needs to do before leaving the RAM prison on Mars is to rescue Scott.dos (the digital personality that's been advising your party throughout both Buck Rogers games) from the digital sharks hunting him down in the prison's computer. In order to do this, a character has to make:
A) A successful Programming roll to access the computer;
B) Up to 5 successful Programming rolls to shut down the data cells; and
C) Up to another 5 successful Programming rolls to find the one where Scott.dos is.
If multiple characters in the party have Programming skill, you are given the option to have a second character attempt to complete all this; however, a second failed Programming roll in a row means that Scott.dos is "dead."
My problem is that I only had 1 character develop Programming skill, and it's only at a pretty mediocre level (33%); thus, it's extremely difficult (maybe impossible) for her to succeed at that many Programming rolls in a row.
If anyone is just starting one or the other of SSI's Buck Rogers games, a word of advice: It's possible to "muddle through" a lot in these games (especially in Countdown to Doomsday) with minimal to mediocre skills, but not here in the Mars Prison area. Be more long-term-thinking in your party's skills development than I was, and develop at least 1 character with the highest possible Programming skill (2 if you can manage it!).
If anyone's already completed this game not too long ago -- is it possible to complete the game if Scott.dos does get eaten by the digital sharks?
It looks like your PCs can try again to complete the job of shutting down all of the data cells in the RAM prison's computer (at least once at each of the 4 terminals in the room), so it may be possible to get part of the job done, save that much (at a different save position than the one just before you started the process), and repeat at each terminal until the job's done. There seems to be a maximum of 6 attempts allowed, though, before you get the dreaded message that "Scott.dos is dead." Thus, this room may be merely insanely difficult to complete successfully (rather than impossible), if you only have 1 PC with Programming skill, and only at a mediocre level like mine.
(That thumping noise you may be hearing is me banging my head against the wall over this silly thing!)
Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
CatherineMcClarey

Lightbulb A drastic solution to underdeveloped PC skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineMcClarey View Post
It looks like your PCs can try again to complete the job of shutting down all of the data cells in the RAM prison's computer (at least once at each of the 4 terminals in the room), so it may be possible to get part of the job done, save that much (at a different save position than the one just before you started the process), and repeat at each terminal until the job's done. There seems to be a maximum of 6 attempts allowed, though, before you get the dreaded message that "Scott.dos is dead." Thus, this room may be merely insanely difficult to complete successfully (rather than impossible), if you only have 1 PC with Programming skill, and only at a mediocre level like mine.
(That thumping noise you may be hearing is me banging my head against the wall over this silly thing!)
If I get frustrated enough, I could just reload my saved character party from Countdown to Doomsday and restart Matrix Cubed from scratch. I was thinking how nice it would be to have a skills list table one could mark up offline with which PC has what skill, and at what level. Printing out or copying the section on Skills from the Matrix Cubed logbook (p. 9-13 of the original book/p. 7-9 of the ReplacementDocs scanned PDF version) accomplishes a lot of that, although setting that list up as a chart (database?/handdrawn on graph paper?) with columns for each PC to mark their levels in each skill, would be even better. Having the "big picture" in front of you like that would certainly help in building a balanced and successful character party.
Old 14-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Saccade
[BANNED]

I have a solution for this, but it involves a hex editor and messing with your game files to change stats and stuff.

Not sure if that is that's what yr after.

biddybiddybiddy.

NB - this photo was taken *before* Megan's law came into effect.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 21-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #18
CatherineMcClarey

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
I have a solution for this, but it involves a hex editor and messing with your game files to change stats and stuff.

Not sure if that is that's what yr after.

biddybiddybiddy.

NB - this photo was taken *before* Megan's law came into effect.
I reloaded my last saved game from Countdown to Doomsday, and made sure I put lots more skill development points into Climb, Acrobatics, and especially Programming for those characters who already had those skills open. I also had the Rocketjock open Programming & put the max. 15 points into that skill with each level-up (he already had the Maths prerequisite skill opened, since it's also required for Astrogation & Navigation). Still made sure I saved before attempting to save Scott.dos from the data sharks -- but at least I succeeded this time.
Did a lot of the Jupiter flying-rig sequence dumbed-down to Novice level. As it turned out, it was no big deal that my characters weren't earning as many XPs in that area -- because once your party gets the Matrix Device deployed and finally defeats Sid Refuge once & for all, you get 3 cheers from Buck, Wilma & the rest of the NEO troops who arrive at the rig -- and then get dumped back to the DOS prompt in DOSBox!
BTW, I found my old floppy-disk copies of both Buck Rogers games in the basement (just can't play them without a floppy drive on any of the computers at home) -- so watch my eBay auctions next month, because I'll be selling them there, complete with the original boxes, manuals, and even the SSI cluebooks!
Old 19-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #19
Kaje
Lurker

Hi guys and gals,

I downloaded this game today and I'm thoroughly stuck - hoping somebody can help.

I'm on the first mission, I've saved the Sun King from the assassination attempt and I've spoken to De Sade or whatever his name is (decided NOT to tell him about Romney) and currently fighting off his goons every few steps (very annoying...) and I have no idea what to do now.

I went into the security room and got the message from Buck about finding more info on Romney, but I've been to every bloody room I have access to and I can't seem to progress the plot. Going back to my ship results in Scot.dos telling me the mission hasn't finished and to go back.

Any help?
Kaje is offline                         Send a private message to Kaje
Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #20
andytj
Cool saved scot doc with 133 programming skill with hex editor

saved scot doc with 133 programming skill with hex editor. It is possible lol.. I thought it wasn't with 101 programming maxed at level 13. He basically congrats you that's all.