Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
captain38

Default I'm new and I need HELP!!!

Thanks for stopping by. As of yesterday I started in on the whole dos box and dos gaming stuff. I really enjoy getting the chance to play games that had become just a blip in my memory. With that said, I need some help from y'all.
Oil's Well is the second game I ever remember playing. (Castles was first) I downloaded Oil's Well (1990 Sierra) and got it to work just fine. The problem that I am having is that I don't want to control it with the mouse. I'm horrible with the mouse. I would like to control it with the arrow pads (currently mouse movement), space bar(currently left mouse click), and any other button (right mouse click) however, I cannot figure out how to do this. The website says that it can be controlled either way. Can it?
I have messed around in keymapper and I think I know what I am doing, however, I am new. Was the original (1990) version controlled with a mouse? I remember it with keyboard functions.
Please help!
THANKS!!!
captain38 is offline                         Send a private message to captain38
Old 25-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

IIRC, it can be controlled both ways, but it doesn't have anything to do with the keymapper.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't know about the game itself.

The DOSBox mapper handles the keyboard and joystick, not the mouse, so it can't help you.

However you can use the Windows accessibility functions (in the Control Panel) to enable controlling the mouse with the numerical pad of the keyboard. There may be third-party that does this same thing if you don't like Windows accessibility.
Old 25-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

RTM

Page fourteen states that during the install process, you have the option of choosing between the mouse, keyboard or joystick. The suggested device, according to the manual and default choice for game setup (also suggested by the Abandonia review) is the mouse. This is probably the default.

Try running INSTALL.EXE first instead of launching the application. This should allow you to choose the keyboard.

I would also suggest downloading the Manual since it contains information regarding the default keyboard control functions and how to redefine them, if you so choose.

Ohne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	install_000.png
Views:	101
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	1429  
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid
Old 25-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
captain38

Absolute life savers!!! Got it figured out thanks to y'all!
paul
captain38 is offline                         Send a private message to captain38