Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-06-2007, 04:14 AM   #1
Windy

i downloaded the windows version... when i unzipped and had a look, the first 2 .exe were UFO and UFO Defense.

When i double click on UFO Defense it goes into the game, but whenever text is around its all skewed and in unreadable lines...

so i went into UFO and everything went normal, i could start a game and everything, but occasionally when i start a fight at a UFO crash landing/terrorizing thing, i get a error message and the game closes, its really annoying... is there a patch or something that will make those error messages go away?
Windy is offline                         Send a private message to Windy
Old 27-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

AFAIK: no.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-06-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
Windy

:wallbash: what a spazo game, does the dos version work any better :wallbash:
Old 28-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Ufo: Ennemy unknown was known back in the days to crash randomly like that. I don't know why, might have something to do with pc configuration or simply bugs hidden deep into the code...

Anyways, there is a very easy way to solve your problem: save often and save early. Use multiple save spots, one for each important action you do (like, save everytime you begin a mission, save everytime your Skyranger return to base from a mission, and save them separatly on their own save spot). Once I learned to always save before beginning a mission and always save after the mission was done, there wasn't much grief about a few hours gamewise spent on superfast waiting for the next UFO to appear and get shot down...

Also, I clearly remember a bug which made your game crash in the Geoscape mode. It happens when you have chasing intercepting aircrafts minimized and waiting for orders and you get your skyranger to the mission site before the interceptors end their encounter. This is very easy to do without realizing it if you send a Skyranger to a mission then spot an UFO and decide to intercept it. If it's a big model, you'll usually want to have as many Interceptors on the target at the same time to maximize your chance of downing it while minimizing the risks of losing a plane in the fight, which can easily result in having one or two Interceptors waiting behind the UFO for the third/fourth Interceptor to catch back to them. The danger is there: if the Skyranger land, there is a big chance that your game will crash before or after the mission.

Since that in UFO: Ennemy Unknown you have full control over all your aircrafts... It's pretty easy to avoid once you know about it. Just put your Skyranger on hold next to the mission site and wait for the Interceptors to do their job.
Old 29-06-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
Windy

thanks alot, i looked thro about 20 of the pages and found something that sorta helps, but saving alot is more practical

now all i have to do is keep my men alive during the mission

i guess it would help if i saved during missions, is TFTD any good, i should download that as well and try it