Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #11
Striderzin

oh, just to warn anyone who will try to play Time Commando..It's not only the image that solve the problem, you can't skip the cutscenes too, it's boring but it's just 3 minutes lost =) oh, and you need to run it at Win98 / Win ME compatibility!
Striderzin is offline                         Send a private message to Striderzin
Old 05-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
lwc
Abandonia nerd

Virtual PC? Running the DOS version in DOSBox? Messing with DirectX? No way...all you have to do is right click the EXE, choose "Properties" and:
1) Choose "Compatibility"=>"Windows 98".
2) Choose "Compatibility"=>"Disable visual themes".

Now it runs as if it was designed for XP.

Wow, I don't even want to think how much time some of you invested in installing Win 9X inside Virtual PC, etc. instead of these 2 less than 10 seconds steps...
lwc is offline                         Send a private message to lwc
Old 06-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #13
Quiller

QUOTE(lwc @ Dec 5 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]270392[/snapback]
Quote:
Virtual PC? Running the DOS version in DOSBox? Messing with DirectX? No way...all you have to do is right click the EXE, choose "Properties" and:
1) Choose "Compatibility"=>"Windows 98".
2) Choose "Compatibility"=>"Disable visual themes".

Now it runs as if it was designed for XP.

Wow, I don't even want to think how much time some of you invested in installing Win 9X inside Virtual PC, etc. instead of these 2 less than 10 seconds steps...
[/b]
Just discovered this and tried this last solution. TC plays but the game hesitates every few seconds. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #14

Just discovered this and tried this last solution. TC plays but the game hesitates every few seconds. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #15
lwc
Abandonia nerd

Are you sure you installed the game, then located its main EXE and did what I said?

If so, what can I tell you, it worked perfectly for me. I guess you can resort to the other solutions (start with decreasing your video acceleration).
Old 06-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #16
Striderzin

if you disable the virtual themes you can skip the cutscenes without errors?
Striderzin is offline                         Send a private message to Striderzin
Old 06-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #17
lwc
Abandonia nerd

Just installed it, did what I said earlier and the answer is....no.

It's weird I just forgot it's needed to see the long intro and the levels' intros. I wonder if I used to have a solution for this or my memory just tricks me that I did.

While at it, I also found out I must click on TIMEWIN.EXE (the main EXE I talked about) directly instead of starting the game via the CD-ROM.

I read in one forum PE Explorer can fix this file. If anyone has it, feel free to share the fixed file...although I wonder how that guy fixed it when it's on the CD-ROM and if you copy the files to a new disk without a full "diskcopy" the soundtrack would be lost.

P.S.
Each time I cut the scenes and the game exited, the CD-ROM's music started so I know it by heart now. Is it the greatest music for a game ever or what?

BTW, here the errors XP records when you cut the scenes and the game exits:
Error #1:
Quote:
Windows cannot access the file D:\TIMEWIN.EXE for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program TIMEWIN.EXE because of this error.
Additional Data
Error value: 80000011
Disk type: 5
[/b]
That's a bunch of you know what, of course...it is then proceeded by...
Error #2:
Quote:
Faulting application TIMEWIN.EXE, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module TIMEWIN.EXE, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000306f0.
[/b]
Old 06-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #18
Striderzin

Quote:
I read in one forum PE Explorer can fix this file. If anyone has it, feel free to share the fixed file...although I wonder how that guy fixed it when it's on the CD-ROM and if you copy the files to a new disk without a full "diskcopy" the soundtrack would be lost.[/b]
What fix do you mean? I have opened TIMEWIN.EXE at PE Explorer and this appears :

Old 06-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #19
lwc
Abandonia nerd

I have no way to know.

That forum post just said:
So I say just copy over the original CD-ROM to your hard drive, do the test fix, then try to install the game from your hard drive (if it demands to be installed from a disk, copy the files to another disk) - you'd lose the soundtrack but gain the ability to cut scenes.
Well, if it works, which is the first priority, we can always then think of a way to add the soundtrack to a new disk.

Anyway, if you think this is the fix that guy meant (judging from his quote), you can also send me the fixed file and I'll do the testing I described above. It's just a small file, but it's all up to it.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #20
Striderzin

Well, the game is already working..just want to fix the cutscene problem
I have copied the entire disk, used PE Explorer to fix the exe and now I'm making an iso with the files..let's see if it will work
Closed Thread