Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 AM   #11
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by taikara@Jul 6 2005, 08:23 PM
You know, spam in and of itself isn't that bad, and neither is sarcasm.

The trick is to use it in careful moderation.

Spam can be fun and humorous, and revealing of a person's personality. Too much from too many people, and it's just disruptive.

Sarcasm can be fun and humorous... as long as it's very obvious the person means no harm. Use it all the time, and you just seem like a big nasty troll.

The worst possible thing is sarcastic spam. Spam by its very nature is brief, and not extremely informative. Therefore, there's not really any context to show the person posting means their sarcasm harmlessly or harmfully. If you mean it harmlessly, and people are taking it badly, it's probably because you're assuming people know you well enough to understand you.

Guess what? Nobody here knows you, especially if you're newer. I don't hang out with any of you, and even those of you I do talk to regularly, I don't always know well enough to know when you're just joking around. Stop assuming that because you're a part of a community, you can just let it all hang out like you would among your bestest closest friends IRL.

Just because you're tight with a couple people on the board doesn't mean you don't need to show the rest of the people here a little respect and common courtesy.

Private conversations between a couple individuals should be private. That's what we have a PM system for. If it's just you and some other guy posting back and forth in a topic for several pages, there's something wrong. That's not a forum, that's a dialogue.

If you don't feel like taking the time to add some semblance of a disclaimer to let people know you're just joking around when you use sarcasm, maybe you should reconsider using it.

If you don't have something nice to say, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all. There's no need to jump down someone's throat just because they have a different opinion than you. We're all different people, with different experiences, and different beliefs. There's bound to be different perspectives, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with someone thinking differently than you. Differences between individuals are exactly what makes life interesting.

Common sense, common courtesy, and common respect. It is always good to remember these things when dealing with people.
Tai, I could kiss you I love you so much right now. :wub:

Obviously, common sense, common courtesy, and common respect are not so common these days...and that is tragic. I remember, I was on a date once and I opened doors for my date, held her chair for her, etc. You know, basic things that a guy should do, and at the end of the night I went to give her a kiss and she started crying on my shoulder saying she had never had a guy do any of these things for her before.

<sigh> Chivalry is dead, and it is so tragic.

Please everyone...let us all be friends. <starts singing Smash Mouth song>
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 07-07-2005, 04:06 AM   #12
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by taikara@Jul 7 2005, 03:23 AM
Patronizing and overly long message.
You do not know what you're talking about, Taikara.

My topics were closed because people complained about the topic. Some others deliberately made a few spamming posts which the mods took as an excuse to shut down my second topic.

After having two topics shut down in such quick succession, you too would start becoming sarcastic. My third thread was shut down for that sarcasm. I am not tired yet of keeping explaining it to people who haven't seen my previous threads yet who think they can tell me how to behave when I have not acted against any common courtesy or rules in those previous threads.

For example, watch my posts in the Pentagon Plane thread. The only reason they gave for shutting that one down was because there allegedly were too many conspiracy threads when the other two so-called conspiracy threads were created to mock my original thread. Those other two couldn't be called conspiracy threads - they were attempts at humor.

A good day to you too.
Microprose Veteran is offline                         Send a private message to Microprose Veteran
Old 07-07-2005, 04:18 AM   #13
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by ReamusLQ+Jul 7 2005, 03:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ReamusLQ @ Jul 7 2005, 03:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Tai, I could kiss you I love you so much right now. :wub: [/b]

*blush*

<!--QuoteBegin-ReamusLQ
@Jul 7 2005, 03:52 AM
<sigh> Chivalry is dead, and it is so tragic.[/quote]
I absolutely concur. I love chivalry. It would be great if everyone could just be nice to each other. It seems most people can't refrain from making themselves out to be rather large jerks. :tai:

*ahem*
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 07-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #14
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

Tell you what, ask Omg what he thinks of me.
Microprose Veteran is offline                         Send a private message to Microprose Veteran
Old 07-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #15
omg
Games Master

LOL im not exactly like the member with the most respect here m.v. (tai probably is) but just in the hopes it will make you smile and chill out, i think you are cool. however, you do need to chill out a tinsy bit. admins make decisions you disagree with then pm them and/or debate it publicly. dont make the mistake of thinking that this is a democracy, but they clearly are quite tolerent and cool otherwise you and i would have been banned ages ago. and kosta has showen enthusiasm for the debate about how this site is run, and when we had our goes tom actually explained himself (wether we except the explanation is up to us) but at least he bothered rather than just using admin power.
btw i have 40 percent warn. yours only got boosted becuse you literally asked for it.
hopefully at some point we are going to be able to debate again without the threads gettin closed all the time.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 07-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #16
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

Naw, Omg, it is not I (Leclerq) who needs to be told whether he's cool or not.

I just figured that since Taikara does not know me and may think me a crackpot, you at least could inform her that according to you, I am not a crackpot.

Regarding my warn level: the day after my complaint thread, my warn level was reduced to zero again. Ah well.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #17
omg
Games Master

unfortuantly the second you start on about conspiracy theories there are some people who will imidiatly see you as being a crackpipe. then there are people like me who enjoy discussion. i dont see conspiracy evrywhere, but im not so foolish to think that the rich have only best intentions at heart.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #18
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

Presenting my DIY conspiracy program!

Pss, Omg... Can you keep a secret?

Yes?

OMG! We got ourselves a bonafide conspiracy going. Okay, it is rather small but in time, we will take over the world!

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 07-07-2005, 07:25 PM   #19
omg
Games Master

shhh. world domination must be planned quietly lest we get turned in to the c.i.a. as they probably think world domination is there gig.
muhahahahhaha
Old 08-07-2005, 12:13 AM   #20
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

I think I'm not the newest nor the oldest member here. Though some of you guys doen't even know me. Those who do, they know, that I don't throw words just like that. I use to make loooong posts, and include my every opinon in that topic. I know, some of you don't even read them.
The thing is I never had a real flaming war here, since I joined. If I disagree with somebody, I always give reasons, and if I agree or have more to say, I back it up with clearing.

I don't know what you think about me in the first place, but I don't think this flaming and spamming over flaming and spamming gets us anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type of self justice or, egostaticism, but.... uh.... never mind...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh