Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-06-2005, 04:05 PM   #21
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

Makes sense. But see>> the formula explains how much energy is IN the atoms of the molecules that make up matter. It doesnt say that energy IS matter.
I'm not sure what youre trying to get across :blink:
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 21-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #22
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quantum phisycs say that matter behave both like matter than like energy wave...
I think that an energy wave that exceed a limit of energy become trapped in a "bubble of space" becoming "matter"... the limit is obviosly E=MC^2...
Old 21-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #23
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The two are equivalent in some sense, and can be turned from one form to the other (nuclear reactions, mainly) - there are 4 states of matter, but matter and energy are two states.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 22-06-2005, 05:20 AM   #24
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Can't anyone speak in SI units?

Speed of light is measured in m/s.

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@Jun 21 2005, 10:38 AM
Erm, they both travel at 300 km/s, so the light emitted by the headlights doesn't go in front of the car like normal.
If we are talking special relativity well then the light would come out of the headlights at the speed of light to any observer outside of the car. I believe this was one of Einsteins thought experiments. And then if that were the case then the car would have no length, mass or weight, therefore no car with no headlights and no light source.

But if the car were travelling at half the speed of light, then the light emitted from the headlights would come out at the speed of light, but the car would then have a different length due to some formula that I couldn't be bothered writing here. And it's time relative to ours outside of the cars inertial frame of reference but still in our own inertial frame, would be different due a similar formula which I could be bothered writing here.

It's been a while since I did this and I probably got something wrong.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 22-06-2005, 07:07 AM   #25
Evad
Game freak

This is all very interesting.
I hope you all keep going on this subject.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 22-06-2005, 08:04 AM   #26
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Scarecrow has a point - that's why I started talking about a "theoretical massless light source" before. The Lorentz contraction and time dilation are some of the most fun bits of SR. The factor which shortens lengths and extends times is usually represented by gamma and is 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)

Where c is the peed of light in a vacuum and v is the object in question's velocity relative to the observer (it's the observed mass, time and dimensions which change - we introduce rest mass and proper time to avoid confusion, the former being the mass in a frame in which the object is at rest, the latter being the time as measured by a clock moving with the object).
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 22-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #27
Evad
Game freak

I don't suppose anyone wants to calculate a formular for us using hypothetical values. I know this would help me a bit.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 22-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #28
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

How do you mean? A formula for what?
Old 22-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #29
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@Jun 21 2005, 08:24 PM
The two are equivalent in some sense, and can be turned from one form to the other (nuclear reactions, mainly) - there are 4 states of matter, but matter and energy are two states.
What i'm saing is that we cuold eliminate the concept of matter using the equivalent energy and all remain the same, but we can't do the contrary!
For example an electromagnetic field in the vacuum doesn't have an "equivalent matter", but there is only like potential energy... (i hope i writed an understanding english )

So matter doesn't exist! :Brain:
Old 22-06-2005, 08:35 PM   #30
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

A field has no energy of itself, it just generates potential energy in things affected by it, like metal things in a magnetic field, electrons in an electric field etc etc