Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
Evad
Game freak

About Bruce Lee, and the nucleus...I have to say I agree. Bruce lee probably rolled over in his grave when they set his style in stone. No offense but the only thing you need to study JKD is a few of bruce's books and an open mind.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Evad@Jun 11 2005, 09:32 PM
About Bruce Lee, and the nucleus...I have to say I agree. Bruce lee probably rolled over in his grave when they set his style in stone. No offense but the only thing you need to study JKD is a few of bruce's books and an open mind.
yeah i totally agree
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 PM   #13
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well I took Shotokan Karate classes (but that's almost 20 years now). I never really commited, so I'm no :karate: . I did take up wrestling later (the real stuff on the matt - not what you might see in games we have on the site).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 11-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #14
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Isn't the entire point of Bruce Lee's style that there is no style so the enemy doesn't know what you are about to do? That's what I gleamed by watching Enter the Dragon about 5 times.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 12-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #15
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Jun 11 2005, 09:46 PM
Isn't the entire point of Bruce Lee's style that there is no style so the enemy doesn't know what you are about to do?
That's right!

The point is that bruce Lee art is a "do" which menas "way", and not a "jitsu" which means "art, hard work"
JKD is is a way of live and think and therefore combat!
Old 12-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #16
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

I'm not training any MA, but i am fencing for 5 years now.
I think JKD and Kung Fu and so on is cool, but i stick with fencing.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #17
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm a master in N'unsujtshart and I'majintshion. Seriously it has become some kind of boring hype to brag about what martial arts you're studying. I remember 3 years ago a friend of mine was learning a martial art and constantly bragging about how he was first of his class. I got tired of his bragging and told him with all his techniques he wouldn't even be able to make a weakling like me drop to the floor. So he suddenly lashes out in his greatest martial art style, grabs hold of my shoulder, pushes his leg against mine, applies pressure and... stands there looking like a fool.
he stood like that for 3 minutes trying to push me down until I finally said "I appreciate the gesture but you could atleast take me to a movie and buy me dinner"

This amusing little story shows that the martial art styles that are taught either:
1) aren't taught well
2) are laughably ineffective

Here is what I've got to say: Just because it's oriental (and thus 'mysterious') and it has a fancy name, doesn't mean it works. You can achieve fitness, health and strength by doing regular exercises (the usual ground-exercises), eating and living healthy.

Or: you can learn more by buying my fantastic book on the subject:
Old 12-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #18
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy@Jun 12 2005, 04:09 PM
Seriously it has become some kind of boring hype to brag about what martial arts you're studying.
You're not so kind this time... have you read well the posts?
I haven't said not even what martial art i'm practicing... :blink:

If someone practice only to go to his friends and say "hey guys! Look how much i'm strong!", well, you shouldn't take him seriously

Like in every aspect of our life there are good martial artist that know what they are doing and exibitionists....

Anyway i'm not practicing to become a superman, but only cause i like it!
So, please, read my previous posts better and you'll find what really are the martial arts!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #19
omg
Games Master

Quote:
I remember 3 years ago a friend of mine was learning a martial art and constantly bragging about how he was first of his class. I got tired of his bragging and told him with all his techniques he wouldn't even be able to make a weakling like me drop to the floor. So he suddenly lashes out in his greatest martial art style, grabs hold of my shoulder, pushes his leg against mine, applies pressure and... stands there looking like a fool.
clearly your freind was lieing about learning. i know some people who actually learnt. you would not have still been standing there.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 12-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #20
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
I'm a master in N'unsujtshart and I'majintshion. Seriously it has become some kind of boring hype to brag about what martial arts you're studying. I remember 3 years ago a friend of mine was learning a martial art and constantly bragging about how he was first of his class. I got tired of his bragging and told him with all his techniques he wouldn't even be able to make a weakling like me drop to the floor. So he suddenly lashes out in his greatest martial art style, grabs hold of my shoulder, pushes his leg against mine, applies pressure and... stands there looking like a fool.
he stood like that for 3 minutes trying to push me down until I finally said "I appreciate the gesture but you could atleast take me to a movie and buy me dinner"

This amusing little story shows that the martial art styles that are taught either:
1) aren't taught well
2) are laughably ineffective

Here is what I've got to say: Just because it's oriental (and thus 'mysterious') and it has a fancy name, doesn't mean it works. You can achieve fitness, health and strength by doing regular exercises (the usual ground-exercises), eating and living healthy.

Or: you can learn more by buying my fantastic book on the subject:
+10 flame points for you

i dont think one guy trying and failing with a crappy move proves anything.
there are old guys in japan who could drop you with a poked finger like they were mr spock
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx