Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #141
Moonrider

I have exactly the same problem. It doesn't matter whether I skip the cutscene or not - The Dosbox crashes.

I'd rather not skip the level. Cheating is something that pollutes my gameplay satisfaction.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdeba @ Aug 19 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]305494[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(confused @ Aug 19 2007, 05:38 AM) [snapback]305401[/snapback]
Quote:
I got a problem. When I picked up fathers sword the cutscene starting playing and I didn't want to wait so I tried to skip it by pressing ESC but the game crashed when I did that. WHat's goin' on???

Help please
[/b]
worked fine for me the other day. what version of the game/dosbox are you using?

Did you try retrying the level and not skipping the cutscene?

You could always just use a cheat to skip that particular level. not much after that IIRC.
[/b][/quote]

Old 06-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #142
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Quote:
Hi everybody
I have arrived to the blue flame and when i got close to it i die, someone could tell me what the hell should i do? THANKS[/b]
"Who steal the blue flame must die"...die and wait
Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #143
Gary_Oak

The games runs to fast at 3000 cycles in DOSbox (at least to me), any recomendations?
Gary_Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Gary_Oak
Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #144
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It's obvious. Decrease the cycles.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #145

To all the people who have problem that I quoted in the previous post, I've got a solution:

1. Run the game using DosBox until you arrive to a point where the game would crash.
2. Save the game (Alt + G) and quit it. Colse the DosBox
3. Run the game using VDMSound
4. Load the previously saved game (Alt + L). Pass safely through the "crashing point" (the game shouldn't crash, at least it didn't in my case)
5. Arrive at the next level and save again.
6. Close the game and run it again using DosBox.
7. Run for it !

By the way [little spoiler]

The Blue flame riddle was, IMO, too unclear. And during the final level I activated the blue flame power only by luck. There should be better guidance there. Nevertheless after all these years I finally rescued the princess again

Old 26-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #146
Moonrider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 26 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]313294[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
To all the people who have problem that I quoted in the previous post, I've got a solution:
[/b]
[I quoted = Moonrider quoted]

Old 13-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #147
KING

IN THE 4TH GAME IM FIGHTING AN UNBEATBLE SKALETON ON THE BRIGDE HOW I CAN GO TO THE DOOR BEFORE THE SKALETON

Old 13-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #148
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Unknown Hero @ Mar 4 2005, 09:44 PM) [snapback]74890[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You must fight skeleton and switch sides with him (you must be left). Don't go far left, because the ugly skeleton will shut the door. When the bridge opens press left and shift.
[/b]
The answer was in this topic.
Old 14-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #149
Daan

Hi guys,

First off I want to say thank you for this site I love it! It brings back memories, and especially this game. I played it all the time when I was young. It was too hard for me back then and I never got passed the skeleton on the bridge. Well today I made it and I'm determinned(?) to beat this game. Only problem is it runs a bit slow. Since this game is all about timing it's very important to get a smooth framerate. I'm now batteling the flying heads, and it's pretty hard when the game is lagging all the time.
I don't know what could be the problem. I just updated dosbox and I know my pc can match the sytem requirements obviously. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Regards Daan

Old 15-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #150
Hiking Viking

Raise the CPU cycles to 5000-6000 (CTRL+12 increases, CTRL+11 decreases). Last week I played the game through with those cycles, and the game had just some minor lag on the last levels.

I had also the problem where the game crashes when I take father's sword. However, the crash didn't always occur. I think the crash probability was something like 50%. If I remember right, when you grab the sword, sometimes you take some damage and sometimes not. Maybe the game crashes always when you get killed at that point or always when you don't take damage or always when you do take damage... I think I should test it...

I found also another crash point, where the game seemed to crash every single time (when you do things in a specific way). Near the blue flame you have to do that big jump behind or at the end of the loose platform. If your steps go in a specific way and you time your jump so that you would jump at another part of the loose platform, the prince decides not to jump at all and runs straight to the pit, and then the game crashes. Fortunately, there's a saving point very near. And what's more, you most probably die and respawn at it before you get to that crash point, and then you possibly realize to save the game at that point, just to save time.

That reminds me, the jumping system really sucks in PoP2. In the prequel, the jumping system was much better. It auto-adjusted the run steps so that you could always jump as close to edges as possible. In PoP2, if your steps have wrong rhythm, it might not be possible to jump over a big gap. In the level 11 or 12 in a specific place colliding with a half-opened gate before jumping would always doom the jump to fail. However, both games had this annoying feature or bug that when your legs or middle body hits an edge in the end of a jump, you might not be able to grab that edge anymore.

Maybe the father's sword crash also needs you to be at certain position... try to grab it from different positions :S