Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Pole Position

PREPARE TO QUALIFY

Pole Position is a racing game. You are a F1 driver and You want to be a Champion. Sounds easy and that easy it is. There is no plot, no track selection just simple racing on pre-defined tracks in order from easy to hard.

PREPARE TO RACE

Driving in this game is very easy. You can define keys as you want, you got acceleration, brake, turn left & right and just one button to switch gears (because your bolid has only 2 gears). When you drive You need to carefully avoid your opponents and signs near track. Just touch them and your car will explode taking some seconds from your precious time. Time is most important thing in this game. Noone cares about places - You just need to get the finish line before time gets to zero.

GAME OVER

Graphics aren't good: 4 colour palette, screen looks like divided in two parts. Lower shows your road, upper shows some mountains which scroll right and left when you go through curves.

Getting This game to run is a little bit tricky so read "how to run.txt" file before getting nervous.

by bob-satan
Old 30-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #12
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

This one I've replaced quite some time ago.

Prince of Persia

Just who could resist a challenge of putting oneself in shoes of a Persian prince who's only mission is to rescue his princess captured by an evil sultan! What else do you need to create a game out of it? A weapon (sword), some obstacles (spikes, crumbling panels to jump over, falling stones...). And there you go! A legend has been born. This happens to be the first PC game I played in my life, so perhaps that's why I'm so sentimental about it Graphics are superb, so is the sound, gameplay...need I say more? NO! Download and play!

by Kosta
Old 30-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

The one replaced by red_avatar a long time ago.

Beneath A Steel Sky

Personally, I am a fan of post-apocalyptic stories and games and a reader of Sci-Fi literature. This game forces the player to travel deeper and deeper into the disturbing world of an overpopulated earth: large cities reminiscent of Isaac Asimov's Foundation and beautiful scenes make this game a classic.
You are the unfortunate son of a genius who was one of the scientists who invented a supercomputer to rule over men's lives. Everybody is hostile towards you. There are many ways to die, so save often!
The version you can download here on Abandonia is for DOS. It has music and sound effects and I prefer it because of its size. However, if you have a broadband connection and wish to download the CD version which can be played using ScummVM, you can do it by clicking HERE.

ScummVM is also the best way to run the CD version of the game on modern computer systems. Otherwise you won't be able to run it from Windows at all.

by Borislav Dobudja
Old 30-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Flight of the Amazon Queen

- "Hello, I'm Joe King!"
- "Well stop it then!"
This is my favorite part of this excellent adventure game, that could easily stand shoulder to shoulder with any LucasArts adventures (and that says a lot)!

To make a long story short, you have a spoiled dame on board your plane and you crash in the middle of the Amazon rain forest. While you're looking for a way to repair your plane she's off into the wild green yonder. You, of course, have to go after her to discover that she's with a tribe of Amazons, that like to take men prisoners and do unspeakable things to them (in the most pleasurable way possible). That's why two guys are desperately trying to get back to their camp (last time they didn't want them, because they had a strange rash on a part of the body not appropriate to mention – at this point). There's also a gorilla in the jungle, but after a series of long philosophical conversations, this gorilla realizes it is completely out of its place and vanishes into the air.

Needles to say, if you complete the game you get the woman back and become a hero (not an Unknown one), because everybody will remember your name - JOE KING (joking).

by Sebatianos

Last edited by TotalAnarchy; 30-07-2009 at 12:28 PM.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 30-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Wacky Wheels

I could go on writing epic tales about how addictive and fun this game actually is, but I suppose the easiest thing to do would be for you to buy it I know, I also hate the fact that Apogee is trying to actually earn money on those old titles, but hey, that's how big corporations work! They are just trying to squeeze out as much money as possible from games that have no right to be sold at this day. However, since this place is reserved for a review, I'll give you a few hints. There are several animals at your disposal (panda, racoon, moose, tiger, lion, shark...) and you choose which one to race with. There are 3 categories of levels, each one containing about a dozen. Thats's over 30 levels, and trust me, it will take a while before you get bored with a single one. The racing model is quite simple. Throttle, brake, steering, handbrake are all the elements you have to master. And of course, no game is fun without weapons, so there are some hedgehogs, oil tanks and fireballs at your disposal on each level. The sound is just amazing, graphics are also excellent, two-player mode is supported and last but not least, addictivness can be compared to one involving heavy drugs

by Kosta

Last edited by TotalAnarchy; 30-07-2009 at 12:28 PM.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Gobliiins

Gobliiins was one of those games that always gave me a headache, but were incredibly addictive and fun to play. This game was (and probably still is) extremely buggy. There was some kind of a combination or password that had to be entered before starting the game, and if you did that wrong, the computer would freeze. This was also common during the gameplay itself. I remember braking the reset button because of its over-usage while playing Gobliiins

Nonetheless, the bad parts aside, this game is very original, and beautifully made. You are in control of 3 goblins, each of them having some special abilities. For completing each level, you'll have to carry out some tasks. Some puzzles are simple, but some will require you to let go of logic and use your imagination None of the levels and missions are alike and the scenery is very diverse so the game never gets dull. The graphics are pictoresque and very detatailed for the time. On the other hand, the sound is unsatisfactory so that's another drawback, but since this is and adventure / puzzle game it's not essential. In conclusion, an absolute must for all adventure/puzzle lovers!

by Kosta
Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Goblins 3

Here comes the last of the Goblins trilogy. It is very often that quality of movies and games deteriorates with every new sequel, but fortunately, this was not the case with Goblins. Goblins 3 are just as good as Gobliins 2 and Gobliiins were. I would even dare to say that they are better. The quality of graphics and sound increased, while all the other necessary ingredients remained equal. The scenery in which the storyline takes place is simply breathtaking, thus the huge screenshots. It just seemed unfair to compress them and loose the quality It's a shame that this is the last sequel, but nonetheless they will all be remembered in a good way. If you've come here you probably played the first two parts already so I don't have to yackety-yak about how the game is played or what is it about I will just say that it is just enjoyable as the other two, so if you liked them, you'll love this one as well! Have fun!

by Kosta
Old 05-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #18
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Space Invaders

Space Invaders, one of those classic games that everyone loves. It was first released in 1978 by Taito. Two years later it came to America and became globally popular. As a matter of fact, it was so popular that it caused a coin shortage in Japan, and the country's coin supply had to be quadrupled.

The aim of space Invaders is as simple as they get - stop the alien invaders from landing. To stop them you must shoot them down using your tank / ship. To make your job harder, the invaders will shoot at you, move left and right, and slowly increase their speed as they draw near.

The controls should not give you much trouble as they are as simple as the game's story:

Left CTRL = Move left
Left ALT = Move right
Right shift = Fire!

Now go kick some alien asses.

by chickenman
Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #19
Acethor
HECU Marine

Bouncing Babies (A12Alex), Gobliiins (bob-satan), and Space Invaders (bob-satan) reviews replaced on-site.

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 27-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #20
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Terminal Velocity

Terminal Velocity is a fast paced action game where you pilot a futuristic craft and carry out various missions. You kill the bad guys of course

Weapon power-ups, engine upgrades and craft improvements can be picked up after destroying certain buildings. The missions can get a bit repetitive as your goal is usually to destroy a few buildings and then reach the exit. The best thing about this game is probably the flight model which is very attractive.

The game engine is very well done, so you can derive pleasure just from flying near the ground or over the clouds. The music and sounds are satisfactory. One thing I didn't like about this game is the infinite number of enemies. I usually like being thorough while playing games, so I would normally wipe out all enemies, and then complete the tasks, but in this game it cannot be done. You simply have to shoot your way through and ignore the crafts that are behind you.

Still, the game is pretty addictive and you won't give up on it easily. Let that be a warning

Don't place the game into a directory that contains more than 8 letters or the game might return weird errors.

Give it as many cycles as possible, preferrably over 15000.

By Kosta