Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-01-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
goblins
Game Wizzard

It seems my thread on the old classic elite went walkies ( of course it is still under copywright and the source code not freely available but....)

Oolite which is a clone of elite but is an open source project started with all new code (it aims to imitate elite but it hasnt used one bit of the original code) the game has been built up from the ground by an indepednat group of programmers and therefore is available under the GPL license and also from sourceforge.net - what im proposing is that anyone interested in helping these guys out (curretnly only a mac programe) but currently being ported to windows and Linux and PC platforms it could be good programming experience for abandonia members that are interested

mods please allow this thread to remain. Im going to wait until the windows CVS comes out (windows port) and then im going to continue my C++ self teaching education and i might eventually be able to do something with it.

Discussion thread now open
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 23-01-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
quatroking
[BANNED]

Quote:
C++ self teaching education
You mean that you make a program that make your own homework?
give it to me!
quatroking is offline                         Send a private message to quatroking
Old 23-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

He meant that he's teaching himself how to code under C++. A program that'd make your homework for you's nearly impossible to make, simply because homework covers too wide a range of subjects and tasks.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 23-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Jan 23 2005, 06:59 PM
A program that'd make your homework for you's nearly impossible to make, simply because homework covers too wide a range of subjects and tasks.
You could write a prog to do your math homework pretty easily

But, I suppose if you know how to program something like that, you probably don't really need a program to do your homework.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 23-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Yup, can cut it down into smaller parts, like specific tasks for geography homework, or for French homework or something like that. Maths'd be the easiest... if you know how to do the maths (the programming itself doesn't require knowledge of it... only got to have the formulas somewhere so you can implement them)

Anyways, back to Oolite k:
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 24-01-2005, 04:32 AM   #6
goblins
Game Wizzard

it has potential oolite that is as for doing youre homework - google always helps.
Yes i am learning bits of C++ as i teach myself to use it and there are C++ tutorials as well im using dev c++ available as open source / freeware from www.bloodshev.org or com.

Many of hte game projects at sourceforge.net are written in dev c++ so its a good place to read existing game code as a edcuational move.
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins