Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
JohnnyDanger
Lurker

I downloaded this oldie and now i cant get it running. First thing is it wont find my soundcard, second is it needs more "virtual memory"#

my computer is pretty new and i have win 2000 on it. is there any chance i can make it work?

thx

JD
JohnnyDanger is offline                         Send a private message to JohnnyDanger
Old 24-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Roggah

Hi there johnnyDagger I have the soultion for you .. .. But I also got another problem that I want to be solved I cant zoom in or zoom out in the game with Home and End as it say in the key configuration and I have even tryed to change the buttons to Z and X but it doesnt happend anything so if you can solve my problem in return I would be happy :help: ... But here comes the solution you want.. :

You need VDMSound program, just install it and a patch for syndicate Wars called SNDFIX.EXE (try google and get it somewhere)..

when you installed that launchpad you must rightclick the PLAY.BAT and select Run with VDMS (music symbol). youll get a wizard where you must choose between a default or custom one. choose custom -> new configuration from scratch -> advanced and on the program tab (where you start) click the "close dos window on exit" box.

In the compatibility tab: click the video box "enable VESA support" and "enable low-level network support" in MIDI tab DISABLE MIDI box. so NO midi. Also disable Adlib in Adlib tab. Oh yes No joystick either.(dunno why I also read it from somewhere)

In Sound blaster tab enable soundblaster of course and make sure IRQ number is 7, Baseport is 0x220, 8-bit DMA:1, 16-bit DMA:5, DSP ver = 4.05 (soundblaster 16). but I think these are defaults but just make sure. then you are done. Whew

there was a forum with a thread where they explained how to do this I cant find it anymore it did work... looked for hours to find that page again. Else I would paste a link here

Anyway you need to install that SNDFix.EXE in your SYNDICATE WARS folder of course. change PLAY.BAT to .doc and make sure it reads only these lines:

@echo off
dosdrv
setsound
@main /w /g

save it and make it .BAT again. this will make sure you will get through the set sound menu make sure you have NO midi sound on and you have Sound Blaster Pro (EVERYTIME you start up the game you MUST do the Sound check with Sound Blaster Pro or else it wont work.)

Hmm I dont have any problem with the memory but this will fix your sound problems anyway and maybe fix the memory problem as well I dont know..

Happy fighting
Roggah is offline                         Send a private message to Roggah