Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Jabberdau

I happen to have the english cdrom version of GK1 including the "making of" video. Problem is, that now when I no longer use Windows 98, the install program will not install the Windows version which worked fine in Win98 (I am using WinXP) because it "disqualify" my screen since it cannot run in 256 colors. Is there any way to bypass this annoying test so I can install anyway, because I can´t get the DOS version to work with the speech which is the hole point of having the cd version. Anyone got a clue?

Old 06-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Try right-clicking on the executable, go to the Compatibility tab, select the check box for "run in compatibility mode for..." try win 98 in the list, and click the "run in 256 colours" button, then hit OK and run it again.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 06-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
Flop
Hero Gamer

I got the DOS version to work, with speech, no more than three months ago. I believe I used DOSBox 0.63, and as far as I remember I had no problems whatsoever. Have you tried that? You can mount the cd in DOSBox and install from there. Here is guide on how to do that. Good luck.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 06-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
Jabberdau

LOL. Would you know it was that easy to get this game to run. Stupid stupid me argg! . I didnt even have to use the win95 kompatability mode. Just went into the cd and used "256 colormode" emulation on the setup.exe file. Then I could install the windows version. And when the game was installed i went into the windows menu and right clicked o the start icon of the game and choose the same "256 color mode" option there and the bloody thing works sound and all. I have keept this in a box since I got XP because I couldnt get it to run. Damn! LOL have NEVER thought that that compability option ever worked in the first place. Well im off to play! k: thumbs up to you for hitting the nail right on the spot(and a visit to underdogs he heee!).

Old 07-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, I do have that CD as well, and IIRC it can be installed under DOS. I know I did that, at least.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman