Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't know about any differences concerning security between Home and Pro. Both include the Windows Firewall. By the way it's a personal firewall, if you install another one you must disable it (the installer will probably do it for you automatically), since two personal firewalls are no good. (Personal means that it's software installed on the computer itself, not on a separate machine.)

As I said Pro is more configurable, but unless you're a sysadmin I don't think you'll care. It's true you can change permissions directly, and in Home you have to do it from safe mode or from the console, but what do you want to change that for? As it is there's order, every user has his folder for documents, folders for settings, there's a folder for shared documents and folders for shared settings, and the rest needs admin rights to write. Changing this setup will just turn things disorderly and hard to find.
Old 17-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #12
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

why would ypou need more users anyway? On my computer there is only one user and both me and my wife share it.

the other family computer features (besides us) my bro and my father. Seems to work OK all these loooooooong years. except for the incident where i deleted the system files and some other files by accident. But i rectified that with special undelete programme. so there.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 17-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

One of my friends had multiple users on his (XP Home) computer. Somehow, all of the users now have no admin rights, and so he is kinda stuck, given that he can't access the Control Panel and can't find his XP CD.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 17-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
gamers2k

Has he tried booting into safe mode?
gamers2k is offline                         Send a private message to gamers2k
Old 17-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I believe some of the utilities on Hirens Boot CD might help in this case.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
why would ypou need more users anyway? On my computer there is only one user and both me and my wife share it.
Because you need at least one admin, and using an admin account for everyday matters is grossly unsafe, especially in XP. Yes I know it's what most people do, but it's not a good idea. My computer has an admin account only I can access, my personal limited account for everyday use (also protected with a simple password so that my documents are private), and another limited account for guests.

Actually there's the additional "Administrator" account, but that only appears when booting in safe mode. I guess the reason is to be able to fix the problem of AlumiuN's friend. If even that account was deleted or downgraded, I'm afraid the least you can do is a repair re-installation of Windows (you needn't lose your documents).
Old 17-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
SlowCoder
Game freak

There are features that are hidden in different versions of Windows.

For instance, did you know it's possible to get XP Pro to build a software RAID, something that generally only server based OSs are supposed to be able to do? Yes, it is, and natively too. But you have to enable that feature with registry hacks.

What this means to me is that really, Windows XP Home, Pro, etc. are all to a great extent the same, but with the different features enabled/disabled depending on the version.
SlowCoder is offline                         Send a private message to SlowCoder
Old 18-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #18
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
Because you need at least one admin, and using an admin account for everyday matters is grossly unsafe, especially in XP. Yes I know it's what most people do, but it's not a good idea. My computer has an admin account only I can access, my personal limited account for everyday use (also protected with a simple password so that my documents are private), and another limited account for guests.
yeah but winxp home never asks you when you install them for any admin password. they only ask how many users and i selected one so i only have that one user there. yeah not secure i know.

then again i have the documents all over the place and befor ei even had to re-format the drive when winxp crashed (turns out the failure was caused by faulty sata wire).
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 23-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #19
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

Many thanks !!

Now it is time to lower my bank account
Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra
Old 23-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #20
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incappucciato d'Ombra View Post
Now it is time to lower my bank account
Are you? XP is not for sale any longer AFAIK.