Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #41
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Sorry, I just browsed your text through and it sounds very much like the albion-no-cd-problem that has been solved several times before. Try to search for it.
Old 26-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #42
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You can take screenshots if you run the game in DosBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #43

I was one of world buiying albion and i say and reccomend that this is one of the greatests game on world, for me is the best game ever in almost every points.. Thanks Kosta to put game on site!! And thx Albion for producing here.

I want also to say if exists a club a fan or a IRC channel of Albion and Marathon fans...

Old 12-08-2006, 01:48 AM   #44
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rabadi @ Mar 4 2005, 08:46 AM) [snapback]74703[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, this game looks interesting. However, it is probably not for me, seeing that the combat system is turn-based. I do very miserably with turn-based. So I guess I am going to pass this one.
[/b]
Well, forget what I said there. Since that time I have played a few turn-based games and have tried to learn to appreciate this combat system. So, I am giving Albion a shot right now. I already started playing it, haven't encountered any battle, though, since Tom has just crashed on the planet. I straight away agree that the 3D part of the game is annoying. The 2D part is excellent.

I downloaded the game from Abandonia here before the ESA incident. Too bad it is ESA protected now, so there is no chance to add the intro movie. Anyway, so far I experience no problem. I do not encounter the CD problem a lot of people are experiencing. The game runs with either VDMSound or DOSBox. However, in DOSBox, the game is quite slow. Too slow for my taste, honestly. Reducing or Raising the cycles does not seem to affect the performance. In VDMSound, the game plays much faster, but 15% to 20% of the right side of the screen get truncated. I am not too familiar with VDMSound, I do not find an option to set the resolution or to play the game in window mode. Anybody has a suggestion? Otherwise, I have to bear with the slowness of this game in DOSBox.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 12-08-2006, 03:40 AM   #45
QUICKIE

their are ways around that like i just got the game today from the underdog

almost all the good games what i cant download here (buy or esa) i get at underdog or abandonier but this place is the best with the quickest downloads

any tips?

Old 14-08-2006, 01:35 AM   #46
rabadi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rabadi @ Aug 12 2006, 01:48 AM) [snapback]248045[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Since that time I have played a few turn-based games and have tried to learn to appreciate this combat system.
[/b]
I am afraid I had spoken too soon. I encountered the first battle yesterday, and after observing how the combat system works, I decided it is not something I would enjoy. That, and the unbearable slowness of this game on DOSBox, eventually led me to stop playing. As for the 20% screen truncated problem on VDMSound, I read a few pages in the beginning of the thread, and see that I'm not the only one who experiences this problem. I would guess this game will work better in a Win98 environment, and work best in a pure DOS one.

Quote:
Fights are round-based (don't scream)...[/b]
I guess the review has already warned about the combat system, so I guess the blame is on myself. Oh well... time to move on to try another game
Old 14-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #47
melthas
Abandonia nerd

Don't give up so quick. Albion is one of the best RPGs I've played ever. A friend of mine had given me the CD. I installed and started the game. When I saw the first part in Toronto, I couldn't stand more than 5 minuted and deleted all the game. This whole process repeated 3-4 times. When I saw the high rating on Abandonia, I thought that it should mean something ang decided to give it a try. For a while I only played Albion and completed it. It really is a good game, world, story plot, characters, etc. Even though I played it on pure Dos with the CD, I also had the screen problem. But it doesn't effect the gameplay.

About the Turn Based Combat; some people like RT and some people like TB. Even though RT is ok, I always preferred TB. It's like chess to me. If you can get used to it, you could be addicted to the game.
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas
Old 15-08-2006, 01:16 AM   #48
rabadi

It is the slowness of the game on DOSBox that is not bearable. It really kills the game for me. Also I have observed the combat system, and just decided it is not my cup of tea. I mostly prefer real-time system. My exposure to turn-based system is very limited, mostly to those games made with RM2K/RM2K3/RMXP. When I started the game the other day, I was just hoping I would like it, but it just did not interest me. The point that it *looks* like a chess does not help at all, 'cause I don't like chess. Maybe it is related to my childhood experience, you see, my elder brother is a chess maniac and during our childhood days he always forced me to play chess with him whether I liked it or not. As the result, I now hate chess to the death :bleh:
Old 20-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #49

i can not do the trick involveing running and clicking at the last moment to increase your reach in 2D to grab things over benches.

Old 20-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #50
melthas
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 20 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]249784[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
i can not do the trick involveing running and clicking at the last moment to increase your reach in 2D to grab things over benches.
[/b]
Don't do it, it's a cheat. The game is much more fun otherwise :bleh:
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas