Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #471
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Tried compatibility modes, VDMSound or DosBox already? I think not. Give them a go.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #472
Acolyte

Thats against logic X-COM 1 is free X-COM 3 is free but 2 is still sold strange isnt it.

Old 29-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #473
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

That's CD-Access for you.

With well over 70 in stock, they'll be "selling" their copies for at least a few years.

Sometimes one wonders... how much of them are really original and how much are... should we say... quite not.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #474
Acolyte

Well yeah they will be selling those games to the end of the world cos nobody will want to buy it when they can get its wonderful prequell or good X-COM Apocalypse 4 free. In this situation nobody would like to play the Wicrowaved steak known as X-COM TOTD

Old 02-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #475
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

True enough.

-- Reed Richards
Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #476

Hello boys and girls here!
I downloaded both games, I mean X-com 1 and X-com 2. But both games have a problem, namely they crash on the Battlescape. I have versions for windows-use. Lately I tried to run them with Dosbox, but I can't get it started, because I don't know how to make \ for the mount command. Can anybody help me?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #477
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There is a key on your keyboard with | \ symbols on it. Just press it.
Unless that doesn't work - which means you'll have to mess around with the keymapping a bit.

-- Reed Richards
Old 10-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #478
Horoma

Personally, I like TFTD much more than the original UFO, especially because it provides more of a challenge, even at beginner level. Who didn't get his entire team slaughtered the first time he/she encountered the lobstermen. And what to think of the vicious tentaculat. I remember walking into the big central room of an artefact site, immediately noticing no more than 8 tentaculats at close distance. That really scared the hell out of me, even as an experience player. These suckers can turn your entire team to zombies in no time. I must say I never got that thrill from UFO. Despite it's flaws, and the fact that it is more a remake than a sequel, I just love this game so much.

Some tips :

- When you start your game, immediately sack aquanauts with low morale. The morale stat rarely increases, you don't want panicking soldiers, but more importantly, you don't want your better soldiers under alien control (MC).

- Try to get better weapons as soon as possible. Use gas cannons and jet harpoons (auto-fire) to start, and switch to sonic pistols/sonic blasta rifles as soon as possible. Gauss rifles (auto-fire) are great as well, but I usually skip them.

- Research is very (!) important, especially in the beginning. The tech tree is weird though. For some important advancements, like (magnetic) ion armor, you'll need to research several things in a specific order. You need a lot of luck to accidentally find it. Get your hands on the tech tree, it will save you a lot of frustration.

- Lobstermen are though to beat with regular weapons. Thermal shock launchers usually stun them in 1-2 hits however. At close quarters, thermic lances are very effective and use little time units.

- When tentaculats are in sight, always shoot them before you target any other aliens. A dead soldier is still better than a zombie. If you don't finish them right away, your mission can turn into a disaster in just a few turns.

- If you can afford it, get a transmission resolver in every base. Not only will you detect more alien ships, you will also know their type, the main alien races on board, and details about the mission. That's a lot of vital information ! Don't shoot ships on colony supply mission ! Follow them, and you're likely to discover an alien base.

- The better you play, the more likely the aliens will come for your base. Be prepared.

- The game gets a lot easier once you get magnetic ion armor and mc disruptors. You'll need some training for the latter to be effective though. Use magnetic ion armor to enter ships from above (use disruptor pulse launcher to punch the walls if needed), while the aliens are waiting at the front door.

- Never research Tasoth Commander. There is a bug that will prevent you from finishing the game if you do.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #479
laiocfar
NOD Commander

True about bug, but i am not sure if it was the tasoth... this game is heavy bugged.
Old 15-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #480
melthas
Abandonia nerd

I tried to run the game in DosDOX but it wasn't helpful. Game always lagged and sounds were frozen sometimes. I tried VDM Sound instead of messing with DosBOX, the game works flawlessly with VDM Sound but still got one problem. When I click the directions for rotating the geoscape, it starts whirling and doesn't stop before one spin, no matter how fast I'm :wallbash: How can I fix this?
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas