Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-03-2005, 10:41 PM   #11
JJXB
Pi-voh

i just downloaded it and it worked fine.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 20-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #12

BI2 didnt have movies,you are probably thinking BI3.

Old 20-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #13
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 20 2005, 05:23 PM
BI2 didnt have movies,you are probably thinking BI3.
Yes it did. Beside the intro, there were small in-game movies of your advisors.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 20-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
red_avatar
Administrator

Battle Isle 2 had a disk and CD version - the CD version had animated in-game movies of vehicles and actions (like invading a building).

Yes this game is great - I bought it back in 1994 and while it takes quite a bit of effort to really get the hang of this (think Shogun Total War but turnbased in terms of complexity) it really pays off.

I really want to add a note though: Advance War on GBA was very popular a few years back but when you play Battle Isle 2 you'll immediately see how heavily Advance Wars was based on Battle Isle 2. Ammo, resupplying, fuel, movement types, buildings, battle screen - all copied from Battle Isle 2.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 20-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
lgonggr
Forum hobbit

I've played this game for quite some time and just a word of warning. Some of the missions are HARD. Nevertheless, very highly recommended as it is indeed one of the best strategy games around and heaps of fun.

As it is bloody HARD (I don't know if I've actually managed to finish it), so here are some pointers.

Units can be repaired (altough they will lose experience in accord to the amount of damage they have sustained), but they can often NOT be replaced. Try not to get your units killed, especially your irreplacable ones, but withdraw and repair them instead.

Correspondingly, your ammuniton, fuel and repair vehicles are priceless. Guard them at all costs. And of course destroy the enemies support vehicles any chance you get, especially the easy to kill fuel trucks. Many times I've won a no-win scenario because the enemy ran out of fuel. The ammunition trucks can take a lot of punishment. Use them to block the enemy in a pinch.

Experience is vital. The exterminators (A-10 tank killer like planes) are absolutely devastating once they reach elite level. Use them to blow up easy-to-killl targets and make sure they stay alive when they are elite. They can kill almost anything.
Another devastating unit are the buggies which can move in and fire FROM A DISTANCE of one square and get out safely. When these guys are elite they are incredibly usefull.
Correspondingly, don't hurt the enemy, but KILL the enemy, so he will not have experienced units to confront your elite ones. Be extremely wary of experienced artillery units. Use air power to take them out. Use artillery to soften up units and wipe them out with regular units. When your artillery is elite you have a good chance of stopping anything the enemy throws at you. Be wary of air attacks.

There are lots of other delicious units in the game, like the holy railgun, but most require careful planning to be used to their best advantage. Example : The mines are pathetic, untill you use a cloaking vehicle to hide them. Suddenly they are deadly due to their first shot ability. Always make sure units support each other.

If you control the air you generally will win. Make sure the enemy's AA units don't get experienced or you'll be in trouble. Wipe out his fighters ASAP.

Sea battles are very tough. Go for the carriers and battleships if you can. Always move in groups guarding two support vessels (so they can support each other).

Capture any building you can. A nice tick is to hurt all the units guarding an enemy building. Next turn he will withdraw most of them for repairing. Now smash trough and capture the base. You will have captured a lot of units k:
Make sure the enemy never does this to you

Intelligence is very important. Guard you radars and radar-planes carefully and kill the enemy's any chance you get. If you can see him and they can't see you, you'll get first shot. Deploy them as far to the forntline as you dare. Lose all your radars and you're dead.

When you are on the offensive (like always) you are at a disadvantage. Select your goal and smash trough. Make SURE you don't overextend your lines or you're dead. Make sure the enemy overextends its lines, isolate and annihilate them.

The terrain may change, use this to your advantage and be ready ! For example, when the river freezes, the impassable bridge can be bypassed over the ice, isolated and taken with a rear attack or the enemy's support lines devastated with a kamikaze mission. Always keep a reserve force if you can to deal with oppertunities and contigencies.

Strangely enough, no one has mentioned this game is incredible fun for multiplayer. Many is the time I've gloated supreme when another friend's forces were obliterated :evil:

Summary : one of the best strategy games ever made.
lgonggr is offline                         Send a private message to lgonggr
Old 21-03-2005, 06:02 PM   #16

Anybody got/know a site which has the manual for this thing?

Old 22-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #17
das_M

BI2 is defintively one of the best strategy games ever. But it can be really frustating, when you´ve smashed the enemy and your time is up and you have to start again, I had to play the level "WABIKDO" about four times.

And I have a question. Does anybody know what to do with the crystals, what is the use of them?

Old 22-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #18
DSmidgy
Abandonia nerd

Crystals are for transfering materials from shops that produce them to shops that don't produce them - so you can build units there.
DSmidgy is offline                         Send a private message to DSmidgy
Old 27-03-2005, 06:07 AM   #19
Ka

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Mar 18 2005, 08:39 PM
Ever heard of Civilization series? (best turn based games :))

civilisation ..
yes, i should have written: "the BEST turn based stratagy WARGAME", okay..
but: i dont play Civ anymore, even the new releases and version, BUT i do play BI2.. so..
perhaps..

ahm.. except alpha centauri, for sure, but thats another .. legend.

ka

Old 03-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #20
Faidros

Remeber this as a good game. I know I have the original disk somewhere but I cant find it. Reason I havent played for a long time is that I didnt get DOSBox until now and since I couldnt find my disk I downloaded a copy from this site.

I got problems with the game though. After winning the second scenario the game returns me to the begining of the same scenario and doesnt let me move on to the third.

Are anyone familiar with that problem or do anyone have a suggestion on how to solve my problem?

/Faidros
Faidros is offline                         Send a private message to Faidros