Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #251

One thing I find about master of magic that can keep it interesting, is the computer players are occasionally able to get a very rare spell quite early -- myrran computer wizards can sometimes clear a tower after 30 turns, for example. With save/reload and an editor like momedit you can make the computer player get whatever very rare spell you find the worst -- for me and my 11 death books it's great unsummoning, followed by another computer player getting life force, and suppress magic after that, time stop... That can even things up, sometimes, even if one is an expert player. In addition, in theory it is possible to start on a tiny island with room for only your land-locked capital city, and it's also possible to have no neutral cities on your plane, and it's possible to have chaos rift cast on your capital, and it's possible your plane has only 11-book opponents, it's possible the computer player's unsummoning and life force spells always dispel whatever you cast -- so one game in a billion all these things, and more, can happen at once! In theory, there is no formula to win every single game, even though you might reasonably expect to win every game you happen to play. Somewhere out there a billion monkeys who are perfect master of magic players are playing, and one of them is losing due to an incredible confluence of unfortunate events.

Old 17-05-2006, 07:14 AM   #252
Dan Hanegan

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Apr 22 2006, 03:17 AM
When it say impossible its really imposible. At least to me.
I find that the key to winning on impossible level is to grow quickly. You want a race with a good population bonus and cheap settlers. You also want a decent military unit that doesn't require a ton of infrastructure to build.

To me, the barbarians are ideal. +20 population growth, 60 point settlers, and the awesome berserker unit.

The berserkers are almost too good, they seem like cheating. 6 figures per unit, thrown attack 4, melee attack 7, these guys have more offense than paladins and are way easier to produce. With 3 hearts per figure they also soak up damage well.

Warlord ability is crucial. Expand rapidly to 4-6 cities then send your berserker armies out to crush everything in their path :Titan: . You only need 1 or 2 cities producing military units, the rest are only needed for taxes and food to support your armies.

After your first 2-3 berserkers are built pause production long enough to build an alchemists guild, this will give your units magic weopons, which affect creatures with weapon immunity (like shadow demons) and get +1 to hit. Be sure to stack a shaman with each army so damaged units heal quickly.

I have never been able to win on impossible with a Myrran race, they all grow too slowly. Even if I manage to survive the wandering raiders, by the time I really get anywhere some enemy wizard is casting the spell of mastery .

Old 17-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #253
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I used to prefer berserkers too, but lately I really like stag beetles (don't remember the according race right away). Though I must add I haven't tried impossible yet...
However these stag beetles were produced quite early and were ideal to take over both nodes and neutral/enemy cities. Plus it was the fastest I ever wiped out an enemy wizard (on hard level).
What's really annoying is when an enemy wizard starts shattering every decent spell you're casting...
And I have to agree, while Myrran provides quite some opportunities, I find the environment is so tough compared to Arcanus that it slows you down early in the game. Which is deadly on the higher difficulty levels.
I've been much into casting Gorgons lately. Before I considered them way too expensive for what they did, but against the right enemy they can be very impressive.
Old 17-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #254
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:

I find that the key to winning on impossible level is to grow quickly. You want a race with a good population bonus and cheap settlers. You also want a decent military unit that doesn't require a ton of infrastructure to build.
Yep, just like civ but when doing that in impossible i found that my 5th city is more a trench than a city + i take a big army to capture a node and lost it to a magic spirit.
Old 17-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #255
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@May 17 2006, 12:46 PM
Yep, just like civ but when doing that in impossible i found that my 5th city is more a trench than a city + i take a big army to capture a node and lost it to a magic spirit.
True, very annoying when you can't cast guardian spirits!
There's a reason why the computer usually stacks up quite an army on his own nodes if they are only guarded by magic spirits.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #256
Oldschool gamer

I first played MoM when it first came out in the 90's. I've been looking for it again since i lost the copy years ago. There has never been another stratgey game to compare to it, past or present.
However, i was never a fan of the Myrran races. THe strongest was High Men with Life magic. Once Paladins have invulvnerability, you can't loose.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #257
Ahnassi
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sarua @ Aug 26 2004, 07:56 AM) [snapback]10524[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, now you have that jewel of the game here! Have fun with it, anyone!
Btw, my advise is: choose Myrran-ability and take as race the Night Elves, they produce one magic point per population and their ranged units (magicians, clerics etc.) are more powerful than any of the other races.[/b]
Also every Dark elf unit has ranged atack. But other Myrran races also are extremly tough. Trols with their regeneration are almost imortal when yuo cast few spels on them. Dragon untis can fly so they don`t need ships.
[/b]
I am always choose Myrran, Race=Draconian, face=Sss'RA, magic books Life=2,Nature=2,Sorcery=2,Chaos=2. Starting spells: holy armor,stone skin,confusion,eldritch weapon.

The reason that I love Myrran is that you have only one opponent on your plane. This give you time to make your heroes a real behind-kicking monsters. . Also you can concentrate on your cities development instead of producing spearmens for defence.

Then I fly around the capital with 2 units separately (spearmen starts at 12 o'clock, swordsmen at 6 o'clock, then move by spiral clockwise). When i enter a lair with Great Wyrm or another non flying MegaMonster I start cast confusion on those creatures,
after several tries you can take them under control. And get a cool stuff at start of the game.

Having a lot of different magic books helps to change spells with almost any wizard and you can find a lot of spells of different realms in ruins.

Also I take a neutral cities of non-flying races. Just Fly and Confuse.

Ahnassi is offline                         Send a private message to Ahnassi
Old 01-06-2006, 05:44 AM   #258
Gamefreak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnassi @ Jun 1 2006, 04:22 AM) [snapback]233575[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The reason that I love Myrran is that you have only one opponent on your plane. This give you time to make your heroes a real behind-kicking monsters. . Also you can concentrate on your cities development instead of producing spearmens for defence.[/b]
That's only true up to difficulty level normal, on difficult or impossible there're often additionally other wizards besides Sss'ra starting on Myrror, or they set up cities later in the game there and spawn across their area of land.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:34 AM   #259
Ahnassi
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Hanegan @ May 17 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]230926[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Apr 22 2006, 03:17 AM
When it say impossible its really imposible. At least to me.
I have never been able to win on impossible with a Myrran race, they all grow too slowly. Even if I manage to survive the wandering raiders, by the time I really get anywhere some enemy wizard is casting the spell of mastery .
[/b]
I am using Item Make program (supplied with MoM) to edit first 255 items to make it really cool
Make every 2nd staff to have a FlameStrike X 4. Plus Good hero. And you will win even at Myrran.

There is a whole site dedicated to Heros and thier roles in the game. I have a copy of this site.
Write me and I can send you that manual
Ahnassi is offline                         Send a private message to Ahnassi
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #260
Raasted
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
first played MoM when it first came out in the 90's. I've been looking for it again since i lost the copy years ago. There has never been another stratgey game to compare to it, past or present.
[/b]
Well - Age of Wonders 2 is probably the game that matches MoM best - it lack a lot of the charm of MoM - but basically it's the same game (with a lot of small differences)....It isn't as complete a game as MoM - I mean, a game from the early 1990s that features brilliant strategic and tactical gameplay, some (rather good) role-playing elements, great music, okay sound effects - and Civilization at the same time....damn

/Raasted
Raasted is offline                         Send a private message to Raasted