Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #161
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Feb 18 2005, 07:37 PM
The biggest effect from walls is when you're up against ranged attackers (archers and such, or any unit with a ranged magical attack): walls will protect the units inside, though there's quite a random factor included.
Also, if you're defending and one of your units is significantly stronger than the others, place that behind the gap in the wall, forcing all non-flying units to fight your strongest unit first.
Besides, enemy units running around in your town during combat, will increase the chances of buildings being destroyed. Walls help to keep them out.
But honestly, I never bother building any walls
Plus, city walls extend scouting range of your city overland.

Old 16-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #162
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest+Mar 1 2005, 02:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 1 2005, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-caesar007@Feb 18 2005, 04:23 PM
wow you were right about the paladins ... they are very strong , i don't have a unit that can match their strength , one paladin destroyed 4 turtle dragons yikes

kind of weird , paladins don't seem that strong but in combat it seems they are very very strong
The palladins' strength is in their 'first strike' ability. They basicly get to deal all their damage before the enemy gets to strike back. So, the four figures would make 8(is this their attack, can't recall?), yeah, 8*0.4*4 ~= 13 damage. That damage is applied, and only then whoever remains gets to retaliate. IF someone remains! They also get magic immunity, so you can pretty much waltz to any ranged magical unit and beat the living hell out of them. Shamans or priests could very well beat even hammerhands if there are enough of them. But one palladin unit wipes the floor with them.

You have to be careful with units that have 'negate first strike' like pikemen, though. And also those with thrown, breath, etc. ability. That's what makes barbarians so kickass. They suck for building or money or research, but they get thrown attack, and if you train and enchant them up enough they can kill things really well. [/b][/quote]
Barbarian melee units with thrown attack don't care about flying opponents, because they don't have to wait to be attacked like most other ones. This is the main advantage of a female hero "Shalla the Amazon". Properly trained, equipped and enchanted, she can easily beat 8 Sky Drakes in AUTO mode. :Titan:

Old 16-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard+Mar 1 2005, 06:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lizard @ Mar 1 2005, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 1 2005, 03:52 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-caesar007
Quote:
@Feb 18 2005, 04:23 PM
wow you were right about the paladins ... they are very strong , i don't have a unit that can match their strength , one paladin destroyed 4 turtle dragons yikes

kind of weird , paladins don't seem that strong but in combat it seems they are very very strong

The palladins' strength is in their 'first strike' ability. They basicly get to deal all their damage before the enemy gets to strike back. So, the four figures would make 8(is this their attack, can't recall?), yeah, 8*0.4*4 ~= 13 damage. That damage is applied, and only then whoever remains gets to retaliate. IF someone remains! They also get magic immunity, so you can pretty much waltz to any ranged magical unit and beat the living hell out of them. Shamans or priests could very well beat even hammerhands if there are enough of them. But one palladin unit wipes the floor with them.

You have to be careful with units that have 'negate first strike' like pikemen, though. And also those with thrown, breath, etc. ability. That's what makes barbarians so kickass. They suck for building or money or research, but they get thrown attack, and if you train and enchant them up enough they can kill things really well.
Infact magic immunity provides immunity also againts all breath,gaze etc attacks...
That is why are paladins so strong.Units like drakes,chaos spawns etc..That kill almost every unit just with their gazes/breaths MUST enter melee attack with them.And in some causes(chaos spawn) is it their doom.Btw magic immunity enchantment is also resistent to dispel magic spells... :w00t:
Sorcery Rulez!!! :Brain:
Btw one advice to all ranged heroes players.Recuit some missle ranged heroes(tj with bow slot,fo example shuri...)And create bow with haste ability...They will be able to shot twice per turn .Unfortunetly you cant put haste enchantment on staff or wands... [/b][/quote]
It isn't EXACTLY true. Doom Gaze of Chaos Spawns has an effect on paladins or other units with Magic Immunity. :not_ok:

Old 16-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Mar 2 2005, 10:14 PM
doomDRAKES seem good for defense behind a wall , paladins can't attack them so if you place the doombolt where the opening in the wall is you are safe against certain attackers as long as no ranged attacks of course , but stagbeetles will destroy them and doombolts kind of suck if they attack , just my experience
But try to Chaos Channel Doom Drakes - they always get demon skin effect and then they don't suck so much. Their main strength lies elsewhere - they have 3 flying movement, so produced early (easily done), they can sweep all neutral cities on Myrror very fast in the game, and this is enough to win.

Old 16-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #165
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Mar 8 2005, 05:45 PM
and about this doombolt , ok i been fighting against some unit called "doombolt" it looks like a bird i think , so not sure what you are talking about that it is a spell ...
Not doombolt but doom bat - it looks like a giant, black, one-eyed bat. IMO it is misplaced unit which doesn't fit with rest of legions of chaos. Imagine a vampire bat from death realm of magic, having a vampiric ability instead of immolation. Wouldn't it be neat?

Old 16-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #166
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Eh, why not give it BOTH immolation and Vampiricism?

If you want to change the world, go help make MOM2.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 16-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #167
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Apr 8 2005, 05:00 AM
Okey, some things to correct here, as I noticed that during playing the game (and I used to play it maaany times ).

Life-Leeching
1. First of all, if a unit or a hero has a life-leeching ability (artifact, skill), the increased chance to hit REDUCES the chance to leech the life (thus also reducing the chance of killing an enemy completely with life-leech). Therefore are the Deathknights and heroes not so good to have this ability - little use of it then, as they have good chance to hit. And the better the chance to hit is, the less the possibility to leech life.
2. Second, the ranged attacks DON'T leech life. No, they don't. I tested that many times, especially on Ravashak when he still was weak and had little chances to hit. Didn't work. Also doesn't work with the Demonlord. (This is a bug)
3. Third, ANY unit can be raised from dead through life-leeching. I was able to have a colossus killed with the wraiths once, and I had him after as an undead unit. But, a summoned unit turned to undead state costs additionally 0.5% of mana to their normal mana cost. Thus useless on summoned units, they're better as non-undead then. Also it works on heroes. Oh yes. Got to love this unique Lifepriestess hero when she passed away with help of the wraiths early in the game.
But the during the combat summoned units can't be raised from death after the combat ends. No way. Tried that with Air Elementals and Earth Elementals. Enemy can have them, but players not (this is a bug). [ANSWER]

Invisible Units / unexplored terrain
1. Any invisible unit CAN be seen by computer enemy. You have to think, the computer enemy is the computer that runs the game, and as such he knows and sees everything in the game. Yes, the computer enemy players should behave as if they wouldn't see the invisible units, but they don't in this game. They can see and attack invisible units on the map, just that they "can't see" them in combat (at least that works).
2. Also, the enemy computer players don't need the map / player revealing spells (Nature's Awareness, Awareness, Earth's Lore) as such, they can see every player and every place on the map at once. Just think on Jafar, when he casts his Floating Island near your starting city, should be known to everybody, is a common event. He doesn't have any units near your city, neither does he have any terrain-revealing spells cast. So this is also the awareness-cheating of the computer.

Heroes with chance to hit
Some heroes have that skill that increases their chance to hit (forgot the name) additionally. Now, if you create an artifact for them that has the maximum possible bonus value to hit on it and the hero has this chance-to-hit increasing skill AND the hero has a high level like Demigod AND the hero is a melee attacker only - they very often won't hit the enemy anymore. This seems to be also a bug of the game, in that with this combination the chance to hit of a hero goes over into a negative value because of the too high number. How to negate it? Don't add the chance to hit bonus to an artifact for this hero. Should be fine then (was then for me).

With that said, there are many more bugs in the game, like the game crash on casting the Chaos Channels Lycantropy spells sometimes. Or also that the volcanoes converted to mountains and further by the Change Terrain or that very rare Nature global spell spell stop to produce mana. A pity there was no additional patch for that, but this is how the game will remain now seemingly forever...
The ONLY way to have your summoned units marching on overland map is to cast Word of Recall on them. You would think it IS a bug, but (surprise!) it isn't, because they have 7 mana upkeep cost , not worth the effort for Phantom Warriors. But this way you can quite fast produce quite an army of Demons!

Old 16-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #168
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge of Mitra@Apr 30 2005, 07:22 PM
I have beaten this game on Impossible mode with everything but nature.* The most imbalanced thing I would say is, Torin the Chosen.* That guy is a robust unkillable nightmare, give him some cheesy items and watch him own.* As far as units go, my friend played a pretty mean hafling/death combo that he could almost beat impossible with.* Haflings slingers are the muck.* Sorcery rocks, if you ever get Time Stop off, you can wreak some havoc, sky drakes are decent, the phantoms at the front own, flight is good.* Confuse is the best spell for them though, it rocks the house.* I beat Impossible very easy with Sorcery, considering I had to pump up Torin to win with Life, though I did that on my first or second try, took me more tries with Sorcery.* I was never great with Nature, as far as races go, I'd have to say the dragon race, high men, dark elf, or haflings are the best.* All the other races seemed lacking.* Chaos magic is fun, you had some many spells that just wasted all of the opponents bases etc, if you got ahead of someone it was easy to win with Chaos, but you have to get spells like Chaos rift etc etc going before its very good, then have a million volcanoes set up to upkeep you spells.
Anyone else have a problem with some of the death spells?* Like eternal darkness or something just crashed my game after a few turns of casting it, so was that ever fixed?* as fast as heroes I liked to have, any one with noble/sage.* I always booted Valana the bard, that bitch crashed my game.* Mystic X was a pretty awesome random bit, the necro was good, the drake was decent, the chaos guy was decent, auron was decent, when it came down to hit giving them a platemail of X amount of power was all they needed. ;p I generally always did full books and alchemy for my caster, if I chose Myrran i went with Dark Elf then conquered some Drake cities and used the combination to own some things.* Shadow Demons rock at the front, great for pestering opponents weaker cities.* *

This game rocks the house, hopefully the second one does to.
I agree, Sorcery rocks, but is a bit expensive. On the opposite side, you can steal enemy units using Confusion/Word of Recall combo! :evil:

Old 16-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #169
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Hey bub, you can look at previous posts, copy them and use the quote button in the reply screen. DO NOT triple post. It gets annoying.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 18-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #170
Gamefreak

I remember there was a useful event (meteor hit town, magicless time, star conjunction) in the game before the last patch - the discovery of a new mine, like mithrill or jewel, near some town. Too bad that doesn't happen in the final patch anymore, that was handy...