Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Eliniver

Okay. I'm running WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness on DOSBox 0.65. I also have D-Fend V2 as a front end. I am able to run the program fine, except for two problems:

1) I'm unable to view the introduction. Civ2 requires the CD in the drive for viewing movies, so this is not too serious. But if it can be run w/o the CD, does anyone know how?

2) Choppiness at times. When I'm playing the game (NOT when at any main menu/paused menu, when actually playing). I get like a nanosecond of lag every few seconds. Also, the map scroll is painfully choppy as well. To advance it one "row/column", I need to tap the arrow key numerous times as well.
---
On the WC2 setup, I have the Digital Setup at Gravis Ultrasound (the test works fine...the Gravis was determined via AutoDetect). Music setup is SoundBlaster (not autodetected. Gravis's autodetection says that it does not work). However, all sounds work fine in-game.
---
VGA display, 4000 CPU cycles.

Old 23-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Master MC
Hero Gamer

Quote:
1) I'm unable to view the introduction. Civ2 requires the CD in the drive for viewing movies, so this is not too serious. But if it can be run w/o the CD, does anyone know how?
If I understand the question correctly - you can make an ISO of your cd and emulate it using Daemon tools. DOSBox has a function to emulate ISOs. If I'm not mistaken it's

imgmount C ".......\warcraft.iso" -t iso

Correct me if I misunderstood the question! No hard feelings at all.

By the way,
I remember playing Warcraft 2 perfectly in Windows (so without DOSBox)?
Master MC is offline                         Send a private message to Master MC
Old 23-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #3

I have run it on Windows before...just did again moments before I posted this. It does work fine on Windows, but with the drawback of music and some pretty fast map scroll (even if you mess with the in-game speed sliders). The remaining sounds are a tad static-ish as well.

Old 24-04-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
Data
retired

4000 cycles is a bit low for warcraft 2.
Old 24-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
natas
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliniver@Apr 23 2006, 05:44 PM
Get a NOCD patch in the warez scene, if You own the original CD nothing is wrong with that. But NEVER visit a warez site without having Antivir and some sort of anti adware protection running!

I use many NOCD patches; I don't have large HDs in all off my computers for having to play disc jockey all the time ...
natas is offline                         Send a private message to natas
Old 24-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If it works in Windows, but with problems - try using compatibility modes and VDMSound.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman