Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
chainsoar
Master Debater

I found my brother's old copy of Supercars International in the cupboard a couple of days ago, and was overjoyed..until I discovered it's damned impossible to make it work in XP. I played around with compatibility settings and various other things, but it just refuses to work. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 28-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Dosbox or VDMSound.

Try those, and if you have any trouble we are here to help you figure it out.
Old 28-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
chainsoar
Master Debater

Dude, I can't even install it. Whenever I try to open the setup I get some error message.
Quote:
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 29-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

What does the error message say? What sort of error message?

Maybe if you gave a more detailed 'this is what I did, and this is what happened' version...
Old 29-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
chainsoar
Master Debater

Ok, now something has gone seriously wrong here...I just put the CD in to go through it again to see where it goes wrong, and to write the error message down when it came up, only to discover I actually have no D:\ drive. It has actually, physically, disappeared. Vanished. Kapow! gone. What the hell is going on?!?!
Quote:
Old 29-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Physically gone? Are you sure? Did someone actually unconnect, loosen and remove your cd rom drive?

If not, then either the cd rom drive is broken, or your computer doesn't recognize it. Then we'll have to try to tell that stupid machine where and what a cd rom drive is:
What exactly did you do with the settings? Did you physically changed anything like jumpers or IDE connection?
What did you change through software?
The more you remember, the greater chance of a successfull backtrack and 'de-bugging'.
Old 29-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
chainsoar
Master Debater

Ok, not physically gone as in ripped out of the machine, but it's not showing up in My Computer. I've got A,C, and daemon tools virtual drive E, but no D. I tried a fix I found on a website, that involved deleting parts of the registry (don't worry, I backed it up first) but that didn't work. It's just not there. I think I may know how this happened - the other day I was having trouble with sound, and while playing around with device manager I may have accidentally sort of slightly disabled something I shouldn't have. I'm gonna try device manager and see if I can find it and fix the problem.

EDIT - Problem fixed, turns out it was all down to the fact that I'd disabled digital CD audio in an attempt to make something work the other day. Back to the original problem -

This is exactly what I do and exactly what goes wrong - I put the CD in, open D:\ and run Setup.exe..a window opens then almost immediately an error comes up with the title "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" and says -

C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe
C:\Progra~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL An installable Virtual Device Driver failed DLL initialization. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I haven't the slightest clue why there's all that crap about Symantec, I haven't had Norton for months. Any ideas?
Quote:
Old 30-06-2006, 05:03 AM   #8
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

About DLL files (from Filext.com)
Quote:
A .DLL file is a support file and is used by one or more programs. As an example, if several parts of a program need to perform the same action that action may be placed into a .DLL file (library) that the various program parts can all use. This saves space and makes it easier when that particular routine needs to be updated. You should never have a need to "open" a .DLL file on its own; indeed, there really is no way to do so. Note: This file type can become infected and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this extension. If you want to look at the resources in a DLL library you can use a program like PE Resource Explorer but BE CAREFUL as messing with a DLL file can seriously damage Windows or programs if you do the wrong thing.[/b]
Also, DLL files are often associated with directx.

(I have to go now but I'll be back)
Old 30-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
chainsoar
Master Debater

OK, deleted old useless Symantec folder, and found that when I click "ignore" on the error warning the setup works. Got the game installed on my hard drive, get the same error message but again, it runs when I click ignore. Only thing is, it opens, shows the magnetic fields logo, then blackness. Nothing. Ideas? Tried VDMSound, and even dosbox doesn't help (usually hesitant to use Dosbox as my pc is too slow to run anything).
Quote: