Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #11
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post

I believe that besides the USB Flash Drive, you would also have the following alternatives:

01) Boot via USB Flash Drive that was mentioned above;
02) Boot via External Optical Disc Drive;
03) Create an Image of your Hard Disk using Acronis True Image (has been the best, worsened and improved again!) and similar programs during Windows Boot via USB Flash Drive and External Optical Disc Drive;
04) Verify if your Notebook has such a Toshiba Original Factory Restore. You could do this via USB Flash drive, External Optical Disc Drive and / or during Windows Boot (repeatedly pressing one of these following keys depending on the hardware F5? F8? F10? F12? );
05) My older brother uses Windows 7 and 10 and by comparison, Windows 10 is far more user friendly, intuitive and more compatible with modern technologies. However, I am still using Win7...
I just wanted to specify that the F5 and F8 keys allow access to the Safe Mode. Then you can perform the Original Factory Restore. This is only on branded PCs.

The F12 key would allow access to the Boot Menu, which would be useful when after the Boot, you select the Acronis True Image Flash Drive while the External Hard Drive would only be to restore / save the PC Image via Acronis True Image / Macrium (bigger Images, more time consuming to check Image Integrity, more time consuming to restore an Image ) / etc.
Old 22-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
I just wanted to specify that the F5 and F8 keys allow access to the Safe Mode.
Those keys no longer enable safe mode in Windows 10:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-wa...ode-windows-10
Old 22-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #13
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
The options you show are also visible for me, I just scrolled down to crop.
Nah, in _my_ case all this options exists too (and I have Pro), but "Delivery optimization" visible on screenshot is below them. So, it seems, it absent for home edition really.
Old 22-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

Apparently F8 doesn't work since Windows 8 *in practice* when you have a fast hard drive, because it boots too fast, even though the key hadn't been removed from Windows. They say it happens specially if you have an SSD and UEFI, but for me F8 wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried, and I have a 10-year old PC with a rotary HDD.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/b8/...n-ever-before/
Quote:
When you turn on a Windows 8 PC, there’s no longer long enough to detect keystrokes like F2 or F8, much less time to read a message such as “Press F2 for Setup.” For the first time in decades, you will no longer be able to interrupt boot and tell your PC to do anything different
In short, if you want to enter safe mode, try F8. If it doesn't work, don't wait for it to boot and press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Try again, and if F8 fails three times and you interrupt booting with Ctrl+Alt+Del every time, Windows will then give you a boot menu where you can choose Safe Mode -- guessing that there's something wrong, the same if the user or a PC problem interrupted booting three times in a row.

Re:update advanced options, I see the same as you, including the "delivery optimization" and so. I just cropped it :-)

Last edited by Japo; 26-10-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 25-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Option?

Quote:
Apparently F8 doesn't work since Windows 8 *in practice* when you have a fast hard drive, because it boots too fast, even though the key hadn't been removed from Windows. They say it happens specially if you have an SSD and UEFI, but for me F8 wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried, and I have a 10-year old PC with a rotary HDD.

In short, if you want to enter safe mode, try F8. If it doesn't work, don't wait for it to boot and press Ctrl+Alt+Supr. Try again, and if F8 fails three times and you interrupt booting with Ctrl+Alt+Supr every time, Windows will then give you a boot menu where you can choose Safe Mode -- guessing that there's something wrong, the same if the user or a PC problem interrupted booting three times in a row.

Re:update advanced options, I see the same as you, including the "delivery optimization" and so. I just cropped it :-)

Hey, mates,

do you know some option which will tell me,

even i am gaming, that new event occurs in AB?

Danke.
Old 25-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #16
Japo
Autonomous human

Do you mean email notifications? In your forum control panel:

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/pro...do=editoptions
Scroll down to "Default Thread Subscription Mode"

And per individual thread:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sub...ewsubscription

Even in the past century when our decaying forum board was developed, we had such options. No iPhone app though.
Old 25-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #17
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:

Those keys no longer enable safe mode in Windows 10:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-wa...ode-windows-10
Quote:

In short, if you want to enter safe mode, try F8. If it doesn't work, don't wait for it to boot and press Ctrl+Alt+Supr. Try again, and if F8 fails three times and you interrupt booting with Ctrl+Alt+Supr every time, Windows will then give you a boot menu where you can choose Safe Mode -- guessing that there's something wrong, the same if the user or a PC problem interrupted booting three times in a row.

I installed (or upgraded) Windows 10 Pro from my old Windows 7 “Ultimate”. I am not even a bit sorry to downgrade to Windows 7 “Ultimate”.

I’ve actually checked that the F5 and F8 keys for Safe Mode do not really work anymore. If I need to enable Safe Mode, I will follow your hints and links! (not Capo nor Paco !)

yoga , if your hardware was Desktop, it would be interesting to have multi-boot where Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 could coexist.

It is recommended that each operating system be installed on separate Hard Disks so that the Boot Menu (F12) is enough to select which Operating System to run.
Old 26-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #18
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Spy

yoga , if your hardware was Desktop, it would be interesting to have multi-boot where Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 could coexist.

It is recommended that each operating system be installed on separate Hard Disks so that the Boot Menu (F12) is enough to select which Operating System to run.[/quote]

Really nice idea.

When i finish Risen ....

Yes, i do have Toshiba laptop and Desktop PC.
As reserve variant for bad days.
Ah, i have 2 HDD only of Desktop PC!?

Is it true that ICQ is spying program?
(I do not have it)
Old 26-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #19
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:

I installed (or upgraded) Windows 10 Pro from my old Windows 7 “Ultimate”. I am not even a bit sorry to downgrade to Windows 7 “Ultimate”.

I’ve actually checked that the F5 and F8 keys for Safe Mode do not really work anymore. If I need to enable Safe Mode, I will follow your hints and links! (not Capo nor Paco !)

It is recommended that each operating system be installed on separate Hard Disks so that the Boot Menu (F12) is enough to select which Operating System to run.
I forgot to mention one very important detail. Before I upgrade, I backed it up using Acronis True Image.

The first time, unfortunately, the Image Integrity check failed. Already the second time, the Creation of the Image was successful!

And another detail: using Acronis True Image, the System Restore tool as well as the Original Factory Restore (using Safe Mode) would lose its meaning because you simply have to back up regularly or before upgrading, installing a program, etc. It would be just a suggestion, but each one decides for what he/she thinks best of his/her own interest.

Another thing, I do not know if Windows 7 Pro provides Windows XP Mode. I know Windows 7 Ultimate, there was such a tool, although I have installed Oracle Virtual Machine much better than Windows XP Mode (on my Desktop).

Even so, if it is possible, in my opinion, if your Hardware offers many Hard Disk Bays and you also have multiple HDDs, it would be better to use the Multi-boot feature than installing the Virtual Machine. That would be just my opinion.

Even though my Notebook is older, as the HDD is SSD, it is still fast during Boot and Windows Update. I am very satisfied with the experience of using Windows 10 Pro. It is very worth installing SSD on any Hardware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post

Quote:

Really nice idea.

When i finish Risen ....

Yes, i do have Toshiba laptop and Desktop PC.
As reserve variant for bad days.
Ah, i have 2 HDD only of Desktop PC!?

(I do not have it)
Awww... Too bad! Unfortunately, branded PCs do not offer many HDD Bays (only 2 or 3 and Mini-SATA (mSATA) slot!)...

My Dell Desktop PC also has only 02 HDD Bays... OTOH, my mounted Desktop PC (Multi-boot with WinXP and Win7) has 06 HDD Bays!

I am not sure if ICQ is a “spyware”, but it has lost popularity and many users over the years... It has only 11 million users in 2014...
Old 27-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #20
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
(I do not have it)
That, and Skype, have been getting some bad reviews from time to time, due to automatic bot spam programs and people sending unaware people virus links and attachments. Though it can be avoided by disabling accepting things from people not on your friends list (I think, at least Skype should have that option), most people don't seem to bother or know settings of these programs well enough.
I don't use either, Facebook website is bad enough as a social meeting place, and those two programs are worse, meaning security isn't very good.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty