Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 24-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #31
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

I would love to see a 'Where Are They Now' article with Oliver Twins, who created Dizzy. Although I don't know how accesible they are.

How about a 'mock' interview with a classic computer character, for example Simon The Sorceror. He's a sarcastic guy, and it would be funny to read about how he is such a hero. He could also keep insulting the interviewer. Doesn't have to be Simon though. It could be, for example, Malcolm from Kyrandia games, or anyone really.

On a similar note, how about talking to a minor charactor, about how being in a computer game has scarred him for life. Example, the hamster from Maniac Mansion \ Day Of The Tentacle could tell of the abuse he suffered at the hands of Bernard and Wierd Ed... how he was cooked in a microwave, then frozen in a freezer only to get unthawed in the future... how he was used as slave labour to powr the Chry-O-John etc.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 24-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
Well the mag is supposed to be an extension of the site and since Abandonia doesn't host console games ... Besides, I think it will make things too confusing by mixing it all up since many games had releases on different formats. 3 pages is not bad if you ask me.
Considering that we already have a whole website for PC games, this should contain different stuff too.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 24-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #33
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
Considering that we already have a whole website for PC games, this should contain different stuff too.
Well if you can get enough content, be my guest to go over those 3 pages, but I won't stuff it in along with the rest of the content because with the multi-platform releases, that would just be too confusing. Abandonware is a term mainly used with PC games after all (don't believe me - google Abandonware and see how many console sites you'll find compared to PC games sites).

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 24-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #34
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I would love to see a 'Where Are They Now' article with Oliver Twins, who created Dizzy. Although I don't know how accesible they are.

How about a 'mock' interview with a classic computer character, for example Simon The Sorceror. He's a sarcastic guy, and it would be funny to read about how he is such a hero. He could also keep insulting the interviewer. Doesn't have to be Simon though. It could be, for example, Malcolm from Kyrandia games, or anyone really.

On a similar note, how about talking to a minor charactor, about how being in a computer game has scarred him for life. Example, the hamster from Maniac Mansion \ Day Of The Tentacle could tell of the abuse he suffered at the hands of Bernard and Wierd Ed... how he was cooked in a microwave, then frozen in a freezer only to get unthawed in the future... how he was used as slave labour to powr the Chry-O-John etc.
They're good ideas but you need a good and creative writer for all of them. The interview is the "easiest" to pull off, provided we can actually get in touch with the people we want.

But writing comedy (which the other ideas would be) is a lot harder to do.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 24-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #35
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
Well if you can get enough content, be my guest to go over those 3 pages, but I won't stuff it in along with the rest of the content because with the multi-platform releases, that would just be too confusing. Abandonware is a term mainly used with PC games after all (don't believe me - google Abandonware and see how many console sites you'll find compared to PC games sites).
The mag itself is called ''Abandoned Times'', though, not ''Abandonware Times,'' even if it's supposed to be some sort of extention to the site. Just saying.

But I'm not complaining. Just having a small section that covers console games is good enough to me.
Old 25-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #36
Acethor
HECU Marine

Just like Red said, isnt the mag supposed to be an extension of the site? Which is dedicated to classic dos games. The thing is though that if the section on console games is too small it would look out of place .. so better to either integrate it into the mag... or not.

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 25-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #37
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Well, if it's an extention to the site it doesn't really need its own tagline, either.

But that's a topic for another day.
Old 25-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #38
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The first issue is supposed to be a test, isn't it?
We'll see what works. What the readers want more of. And so on.

That most people are reviewing PC games doesn't mean you can't review console ones. As Red already mentioned, the size of the console section can be increased if we have more content for it than required to fill the minimum.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #39
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Yeah. Good point.
Old 27-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #40
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

To sort of alter or build on Frodo's ''mock'' article idea a bit; Why not have, in any corner of a random page, the text ''Always remembered...'' next to the sprite of a character from some classic game/s? Perhaps Guybrush Thriftweed (wink wink)? We could do one per issue. Would flow along nice with the magazine title and the potentional slogan (''Abandoned but not forgotten'', which seems to be the most loved).

I might be the only one who actually cares for small details like that in magazines, though. But I actually love them, in all honesty. It just adds a nice touch.