Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #21
omg
Games Master

the thing is the arcades were gonna die , why pay money to play when you can play at home for free. back in the days the game cabs for snes games used to have better graphics than the home version (im basing this memory on killer instinct) but even though now you get games like tekken tag which had much better graphics than the ps2 version (and house of the dead is not the same on a home moniter) people arnt fussed.
the only arcade machines that seem to always have someone around them are the dance games.
i think a lot of the things the chap said in the article made a lot of sense. he wants more autosave, and better writing. i hope that the prolification of free and affordable game dev kits plus the huge amount of open source that is always available are going to see a new generation of home coders spring up, companys of 2 or 3 people like back in the days, people who are getting annoyed and want to make adventure and rpg games, even shooters that rely on good writing and story to reach the masses. i hope if the crash he talks about happens it will mean independents who have lower development cost will take over and get some innovation back in the scene.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 01-06-2005, 12:17 AM   #22
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by OMG@Jun 1 2005, 12:09 AM
the thing is the arcades were gonna die , why pay money to play when you can play at home for free. back in the days the game cabs for snes games used to have better graphics than the home version (im basing this memory on killer instinct) but even though now you get games like tekken tag which had much better graphics than the ps2 version (and house of the dead is not the same on a home moniter) people arnt fussed.
the only arcade machines that seem to always have someone around them are the dance games.
i think a lot of the things the chap said in the article made a lot of sense. he wants more autosave, and better writing. i hope that the prolification of free and affordable game dev kits plus the huge amount of open source that is always available are going to see a new generation of home coders spring up, companys of 2 or 3 people like back in the days, people who are getting annoyed and want to make adventure and rpg games, even shooters that rely on good writing and story to reach the masses. i hope if the crash he talks about happens it will mean independents who have lower development cost will take over and get some innovation back in the scene.
it was a real bit of hardcore optimization to get anything vaguely resembling killer instict on the SNES!
i remember when it was released everyone was amazed.

http://www.arcade-history.com/history_data...=detail&id=1280

as you can see, the arcade hardware for killer instinct was very advanced.. more advanced than the N64 LOL.

the arcades died out because of greedy operators, in my opinion.. although the machines were getting incredibly expensive, too.

homebrew games exist for some consoles ; there are some decent ones for the dreamcast, etc
mostly the people who want to get into coding, music or graphics for games use the demoscene to showcase what they can do. which is great for demos, not great for homebrew games LOL.
i did notice someone made a nice little FPS game using just pixel shaders, which fits in 96k or so

http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger.html
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 01-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #23
omg
Games Master

bought back fond memories seing that killer instinct page! gotta get a working version of mame and get it, the snes version never even came close. amazing what you can do with 100mhz on a dedicated unit.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg