Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Exclamation What do you truthfully think of modern horror gaming?

Right. Where to begin. Oh yeah! Capcom literally ruined Resident Evil after they drifted it into an action series. It may as well be called COD: China Crisis. The ending to RE6 was laughably bad (I'm referring to Chris' ending). It just needed some Aerosmith music and it would have been a precise rip-off of Armageddon. Everything about it was annoyingly generic.

Operation Raccoon City was bogus and therefore shamefully does not deserve to be associated with the franchise, but it is. Some of the Silent Hill titles have retained that series' trademark mix of grotesque creatures and foggy atmosphere, but has only received a lukewarm response. They didn't even continue ObsCure. That's because Hydravision went bust. Final Exam on Xbox LIVE is allegedly a reboot of the first game, not that I care much for it.

Really, now. A lot of horror games (not counting indie ones) are all practically just action games kidding on they are horror games. Even noted examples like Dead Space are just coping RE4 and RE5 but giving it different enemies and similar viewpoints with weaponry to suit where the story takes place. I realize this genre is pretty much dead now, as there's not much else to do, but I reckon if they started producing games like Clock Tower and Siren again, they could see a revival of the genre. The Evil Within looks superb, BTW. I also wouldn't mind a faithful remake of Dino Crisis, or even Alone in the Dark coming to DLC.

I loved pretty much all the horror games from 1996 to 2004.
Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted
Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Sure, Resident Evil had a lot of horror in it... horrible controls, horrible camera angles, horrible story...

If you want horror, there's plenty of choices: Amnesia, Outlast, Cry of Fear, a ton of zombie titles...

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 13-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

I just think Capcom messed up big time with RE6.

In the new year, I might just go back and play the others starting from RE1 on GameCube and totally miss RE5 and RE6.
Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted
Old 08-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #4
saibot216
Super Freak

To me horror games these days are more about the jump scares instead of making you truly afraid of your surroundings and making you dread about what's ahead.
I will always point to Martian Gothic being a shining example of horror because you aren't given a weapon until like halfway through the game and the enemies don't actually die. It's so fantastic to me because you truly dread what's coming up.
Silent Hill was pretty good with creating really creepy atmospheres and a good soundtrack to accompany it.
A lot of people say Doom 3 is scary, but to me that game is such a one trick pony that there is no way it can really be scary. You enter a room, monsters spawn, you kill the monsters, you enter the next room, rinse and repeat.
saibot216 is offline                         Send a private message to saibot216
Old 10-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I wouldn't say that the Horror genre in videogames is dead. The previously mentioned by Tomekk Amnesia (both Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs) and Outlast are pretty good examples of it.
Of course, there're not that much more of it to mention, but that's true for all PC / console videogames at the moment anyway, what's with the mobile games market.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just to make my footprint I suggest take a look on Deeper Sleep (and its original: Deep Sleep). They are witty, scary, spooky horrors, even if one or two puzzles are a bit hard, and none of them are too long (but the two allows you a nice easter egg).

And Sonny 3 is coming (probably at the end of 2014).
Old 08-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

One game I'm looking forward to is The Evil Within. It's by Shinji Mikami, and I actually have faith that he can revive the genre. All the horror games in recent memory have been falsely promoted as being 'fear you can't forget' and all that drivel. Pardon my face palm moment.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

It was a very nice facepalm moment

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 08-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Late last year, I also downloaded Final Exam. It looks terrible.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
ultimate11

Is it dead? Well that depends.

On one hand, the big names (like RE) haven't been as much fun recently, but the more indie games (and, um, Japanese-locale based games) are somewhat scary. (Chaos;head, for example, was pretty horrifying, so I heard).
ultimate11 is offline                         Send a private message to ultimate11