Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Default Raided a second hand store today...

...And got Star Wars Tie Fighter (included the novella), Lemmings (Atari ST) (with manual), CD version of System Shock (with manual) & Neverwinter Nights (with manual and a map), all with boxes, for about 5 USD in total.

Made my day.

Can't wait to go there again in the future to see if they have gotten some more games!
Old 14-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Xhumed
[BANNED]

It's a buzz finding games like that I found some last week and it makes you feel like shoving the other customers out of the shop screaming "There mine, all mine", sigh, getting excited about old games :embarassed:
Xhumed is offline                         Send a private message to Xhumed
Old 14-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
red_avatar
Administrator

I used to get the occasional dream of finding a second hand store that sells classic games cheaply. No seriously - there used to be a second hand store that got the occasional treasure not far from here and it was always a joy going in there to see what some poor sod dropped off for next to nothing. I guess that, after it closed, I missed finding those treasures .

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 15-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
U-Boat Commander David
Abandonia nerd

We still have stores like that around here, but they are not doing good... had lots of fun with stuff from there waaaaaaaaay back in 2005

U-Boat Commander David is offline                         Send a private message to U-Boat Commander David
Old 15-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

You're lucky... I've no shops like that here

(or, at least, I don't know about their existence)
Old 16-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Damn right I'm lucky.

Here's their little price system (at least I *think*...): A game from the late 80s/early 90s, with floppy disks: 0.6 USD. From around the same time (up-to 1999, I think), but with CDs: 1.2 USD. From 2000 and forward (...obviously with CD): 2.5 USD (ridiculous, right?). All stuff with boxes, I believe. No idea what they charge for games in DVD- nor CD cases-only.
Old 16-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
CrybKeeper
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Boat Commander David View Post
We still have stores like that around here, but they are not doing good... had lots of fun with stuff from there waaaaaaaaay back in 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintopotere View Post
You're lucky... I've no shops like that here

(or, at least, I don't know about their existence)
Game Stop, Game Trader, we have a couple here. The best place to find a good collection of old PC games or any selection at all, is a second hand store. Even these stores are getting out of PC games. It's sad for the solo PC gamer, but online gaming is the new trend.

Retail outlets are liquidating their stock of PC gaming software and whittling it down, to online games, computer essentials and media. Again, this is a topic I have researched and written a few articles about it.

Here is an excerpt from my blogs at USA Today:

Is PC Gaming A Dead Platform?
Posted 9/30/2008 10:25 PM EDT USA time
Thinking of trading in your computer for an XBox360? Think again, because you may want to hold on to that PC. Those who say PC gaming is dying off, should really take a second look. In fact, it's totally the opposite and the gaming market is dominated by PC gamers.

Up until late 2007, the hard data on PC game sales was extremely lacking. Most experts were positive that PC game sales were shrinking, but no one could tell for sure, because the NPD - A marketing analysis group that tracks all video game sales - had never attempted to track the on-line portion of PC game sales. Nor had any other marketing research group.
In late 2007, Intel and AMD decided to team up... to save PC gaming and hopefully find a better way to track the actual sales of PC games. Early this year, the two chip giants joined forces, along with Microsoft and Dell to create the "PC Gaming Alliance"

Now that the PCGA is keeping tabs on actual sales, the truth has finally come out and the hard data is showing that PC gaming is on the rise. PC game sales are larger than any one console's game sales, holding over 30% of the total gaming market as of 9/18/08.

According to PCGA President Randy Stude, "The PCGA analysis clearly shows incredible growth in online PC gaming, proof that the industry is far stronger than anyone has reported," Stude also said, "Today’s consumers shop where they live - online..."
Sources: NPD Group, PC Gamers Alliance.org, Intel

Last edited by CrybKeeper; 16-05-2009 at 07:07 PM.
CrybKeeper is offline                         Send a private message to CrybKeeper