Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Lockett from Lemon

Default I don't get any sound with the CD version of Loom.

Yes, I know that it bypasses the sound card to output CD sound directly to the speakers. Apparently, that trick doesn't work in DOSBox. Is there a way to get around this problem? I'd very much like to be able to hear the sound.

Also, why doesn't my avatar display correctly? It's supposed to be about half of that size.
Lockett from Lemon is offline                         Send a private message to Lockett from Lemon
Old 08-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Bypassing the sound card ? that will be the day.

Anyway:
Download the Loom version from AB, it's ready to run in dosbox.
Music works in dosbox, default config.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 08-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Lockett from Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Well, I read a few posts to that effect on various forums. I don't know if it does or doesn't; all that I know is that it plays sound directly from the CD.

Quote:
Anyway:
Download the Loom version from AB, it's ready to run in dosbox.
Music works in dosbox, default config.
Yes, I know. The only problem is that it's the floppy version. With EGA graphics and ADLIB sound. I'm trying to run the CD version, which has VGA graphics and CD sound. Did you read past the first sentence of my post? Did you even read the topic name? I could run the floppy version all day, but I want to play the CD version. Which is why I asked for help here.
Lockett from Lemon is offline                         Send a private message to Lockett from Lemon
Old 08-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockett from Lemon View Post
Did you read past the first sentence of my post? Did you even read the topic name?
Yes, I did. You didn't mentioned the floppy version, did you? So I did.

So now I'm gonna answer to your topic title, after reading it twice carefully.
You can't get sound, but I can, and yes, with the CD version.
No problems at all if you setup the game properly.

A good begin is:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17476
Some more here:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=90
Have a nice day.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 08-07-2008 at 07:18 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I know that it bypasses the sound card to output CD sound directly to the speakers.
Well, I read a few posts to that effect on various forums. I don't know if it does or doesn't; all that I know is that it plays sound directly from the CD.
CD-Audio data is not processed by your CPU but fed directly to the soundcard through the CD-audio (or, in some cases, digital-audio) cable. The soundcard then outputs the audio stream to the speakers.

Whoever claimed it bypasses the soundcard was either an utter moron or criminally incompetent in basics of PC construction - probably both, actually. Only complete fools would repeat this kind of "knowledge" anywhere for any purpose different than taking a piss off the original poster's stupidity.

Quote:
Yes, I know that it bypasses the sound card to output CD sound directly to the speakers. Apparently, that trick doesn't work in DOSBox. Is there a way to get around this problem? I'd very much like to be able to hear the sound.
1. Did you mount your CD drive in DOSBox? What syntax did you use?
2. Did you install the game through DOSBox?

If your answers to both are "Yes", then there is still one thing we can try. That being utilizing a CD copying program to make a BIN/CUE (not ISO, NRG or whatever else) image that will contain the data and audio tracks. Then instead of mounting your CD drive, mount that image using the IMGMOUNT command and it should work all fine and dandy.

Quote:
Also, why doesn't my avatar display correctly? It's supposed to be about half of that size.
The forum automatically resizes avatars to 85 px. No exceptions.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
Lockett from Lemon

Quote:
Yes, I did. You didn't mentioned the floppy version, did you? So I did.
Yes, but I didn't mention the floppy version because I didn't care about it. The problem was that I couldn't get sound with the CD version, not that I couldn't play the game.

Quote:
So now I'm gonna answer to your topic title, after reading it twice carefully.
You can't get sound, but I can, and yes, with the CD version.
No problems at all if you setup the game properly.
That's reassuring.

Quote:
Thanks; I'll check those threads out when I can.

Quote:
Have a nice day.
Sorry if I came off as a little angry in my last post. I was in a bad mood. I'll be more courteous in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
CD-Audio data is not processed by your CPU but fed directly to the soundcard through the CD-audio (or, in some cases, digital-audio) cable. The soundcard then outputs the audio stream to the speakers.
I see.

Quote:
Whoever claimed it bypasses the soundcard was either an utter moron or criminally incompetent in basics of PC construction - probably both, actually. Only complete fools would repeat this kind of "knowledge" anywhere for any purpose different than taking a piss off the original poster's stupidity.
Thanks, now I feel really stupid.

Quote:
1. Did you mount your CD drive in DOSBox? What syntax did you use?
I'm not playing it from an original CD; I just downloaded the files off of some site. I mounted the directory as my D: drive and added "-t cdrom" after the filename. It loaded perfectly; the only problem was the lack of sound.

Quote:
2. Did you install the game through DOSBox?
There wasn't an installer.

Quote:
If your answers to both are "Yes", then there is still one thing we can try. That being utilizing a CD copying program to make a BIN/CUE (not ISO, NRG or whatever else) image that will contain the data and audio tracks. Then instead of mounting your CD drive, mount that image using the IMGMOUNT command and it should work all fine and dandy.
OK, I'll try that when I can.

Quote:
The forum automatically resizes avatars to 85 px. No exceptions.
Oh, goody.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

As you don't have the original CD but a downloaded pirate version (yes, it's illegal) you would probably better try scummVM.
http://www.scummvm.org/
Loom is supported by scummVM.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I'm not playing it from an original CD; I just downloaded the files off of some site. I mounted the directory as my D: drive and added "-t cdrom" after the filename. It loaded perfectly; the only problem was the lack of sound.
In this case, you can skip each and every one of my prior suggestions.
Because that archive is 100% sure to NOT contain the audio tracks from the original CD.
To get CD-audio music, you'd either need the original game or an image of the entire CD including the audio tracks.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman