Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Default ArmA 2 Anyone?

Does anybody here play ArmA 2? (made by the same people as OFP 1).

It's a pretty good improvement over the older games and it provides way more scripting abilities which has lead to some pretty awesome community made game modes.

My favourite game mode is called Warfare (CTI for those OFP players). I actually script my own version of Warfare which I've been working on for about a year and four months now.

A summary of what the Warfare game mode is all about (for those who are new to the series or have not played any game in the series yet).

The whole map is used (ArmA maps are pretty big, 225km^2) and on the map there are capturable cities spread out. There are three teams on the map, two are playable (which are usually NATO vs Russia & Other "Opfor") while one team is a resistance group that initially holds all towns on the map. Both playable teams have commanders which build bases, provide support and perform upgrades to get better weapons/vehicles/etc. The more towns each side captures, the more income they are provided. The end goal of the mode is to either Annihilate the opposing team or capture every town on the map.

Just a warning to those who have not played arma 2 yet and wish to purchase it, you need a pretty strong PC. You'll want to aim above the recommended requirements, which are:

- Quad Core CPU or Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 + or faster)
- 2 GB RAM
- Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, ATI Radeon 4850 or faster (with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM)

I'd say you should have above this if you wish to have a better experience:

- Quad Core (2.4ghz+)
- 4 GB RAM
- 9800GTX+ or 4850

Having said that, if anybody is interested in playing, make sure you do NOT buy it on Steam (they get patches late and have a plethora of other retarded issues). Get the Combined Operations version (ArmA 2 + Expansion) on Sprocket -> Here.

It might seem expensive, but I've logged about 1400 hours into it and I'm still enjoying it.

Also if anybody does get it and wants help with the scripting language, please PM me or add me on Xfire/Steam/WLM.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister