Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I have a basic knowledge of the 'Box's command parameters, and have tried the two solutions that the manual has told me, but I still cannot get any DOS game to run at a usable speed...

The computer has (from what I know):

Windows 2000
1.8 GHZ processor

The two things I have tried are Ctrl+F8 and Ctrl+F12 which boost the frame skipping and...i'm not sure what else, but the number goes up...sorry if I sound stupid. These two things dont even seem to speed it up at all.

Any possible fixes, my fellow Abandonians?

Specifically the games I am trying to run are Doom II and Super Bust-A-Move.

~Iowa~
Old 28-02-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

How far are you boosting the cycles with ctrl F12?

My copy of Doom II comes with a version for DOS and also one for Win 95. Does Win 2000 have a Win 95 compatibility mode?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 28-02-2007, 04:21 AM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

Ctrl+F12 should make the game faster provided your computer is powerful enough (Ctrl+F8 does so at the expense of the quality of animations). I haven't tried but Doom II is a 3D game in protected mode so I guess it will require quite a lot, and it's perfectly possible that your machine is not up to it. But there are fan-made Windows versions of Doom out there, I think ZDoom is one.

As for Super-Bust-A-Move, according to MobyGames it's for Windows?
Old 28-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

I would guess that a 1.8 GHZ would be more than sufficient to run Doom II . Thing is you have to increase the cycles A LOT. I just played a game that came out in 96 and ran it at 20,000 cycles. Also full screen mode sometimes help speed things up. (alt enter)

Here is a link to the DOSBox webpage that talks about your problem and what you might do. Kinda technical.

DOSBox wiki

"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Old 28-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

Ah well, I thought that not even the fastest machine could run such advanced DOS games. Faery Tale Adventure II is not even 3D and it runs slow in my 3 GHz.
Old 28-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

QUOTE(Japofran @ Feb 28 2007, 03:43 AM) [snapback]281263[/snapback]
Quote:
Ah well, I thought that not even the fastest machine could run such advanced DOS games. Faery Tale Adventure II is not even 3D and it runs slow in my 3 GHz. [/b]

It is the DOSBox emulation not the machine that is the problem. Try setting core=dynamic and cycles=auto. If your sound is choppy try increasing the prebuffer in the mixer settings.

Old 28-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

Thanks but I've already tried every possible optimization trick and I haven't managed. When I increase the cycles over 40,000 or so in dynamic mode it starts to go slower again. It's definitely playable, only the animation is somewhat awkward. It's the video what takes all the CPU horsepower, I've tried playing with no sound and it's virtually the same. I'm not the only one with this problem (Sourceforge link) and I guess this game has a particular problem with DOSBox, but if somebody is playing this very game (Faery Tale Adventure II) in DOSBox, please let me know how.
Old 28-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Disable the scalers and use DirectDraw output, (output=ddraw, scaler=none). That should decrease the CPU usage a bit.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

I already tried and there's no luck. In my old computer I could run it in DOS or Win98 but it crashed sometimes, maybe its buggy nature makes DOSBox slow. Or maybe it's just the game.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Which version of DOSBox did you try? Sometimes, for specific games, it's best to use an older version of DOSBox.