Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favoruite game genre?
Action 3 3.90%
Adventure 33 42.86%
Board 0 0%
Puzzle 1 1.30%
Racing 2 2.60%
RPG 23 29.87%
Simulation 4 5.19%
Sports 0 0%
Strategy 10 12.99%
Unsorted 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Panthro
Man of Science

RPGs and Adventure games (I chose RPG in the poll though).

Which is why Quest for Glory is probably my favourite adventure game!
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 23-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Karterian

I prefer RPG games as RPG games can also include strategy (check "realms of arkania" turn based battle sequences), action (check "Keys to Maramon"), adventure (check "Quest for Glory". Not much of adventuring in mosty of them but it is there) and puzzle (most have some). Adventure as a genre comes right after RPG, as i have my faves like monkey island, police quest, sanitarium etc.

Last edited by Karterian; 23-01-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: no reason :)
Karterian is offline                         Send a private message to Karterian
Old 24-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
chris_doom_k.
Forum hobbit

I'd say platform games but there are not in the poll, why? I chose action but i play all genres except adventure games. Of course i have played The Secret of Monkey Island which is amazing!
chris_doom_k. is offline                         Send a private message to chris_doom_k.
Old 25-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm quite disappointed to see how small the votes for Strategy is. I'm sure that a few years ago it would have been at least the double, maybe even triple.

Adventure fans always been important on this site in the past too however. No surprise there. The amount of votes however still surprise me.

The real surprise here is RPG. I have nothing more to say than: huh, what? I could not even name you more than one or two classic RPG games that we have on site by heart...
Old 25-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Eagle, good RPG is like good Adventure, but bigger. Genie's Curse, Betrayal in Krondor, Heimdall, Realms of Arkania or Starflight, for example, are much more than dungeon romps like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. RPGs are... shapeshifters. They could be anything from dating sim to hardcore strategy. Other genres have a problems with it, if they tried to be something else without RPG.

Strategies wasn't super-popular all 2000s (when I can watch it), and I can guess that it was the same state before too. It need too much attention and have too many restrictions. And when scope widens (like in 4x games), game immediately stumbles in bad AI issues. I seen it many times. For example, famous Alpha Centauri practically unplayable on settings bigger than "big" maps. I can push margins much more, but in result computer lose track of all this land and miserably failed. Ugh.

And in last years there wasn't any exceptional and wide-known turn-based strategy at all. Most of it either too casual (as Civilizations or HoMM), or too obscure (as most Paradox games). And RTS actually not "strategies" at all in core. It's more like "tactical management simulator". So no wonder that people do not like strategies too much - they rarely sees _good_ strategies.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 25-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I completely agree with you Smiling Spectre. The quality of games in general consistently dropped in the 2000's and it really take a high quality game to make a good strategy game. No wonder nothing good got out of it. Also no wonder why I think very badly of the gaming industry right now, considering strategy will always be my preferred genre.

I browsed the RPG list on Abandonia and I have to say that many games seem to be quite badly listed. It has probably a lot to do with what you just said: from what I understand of your opinion, you seem to think that any game with a sliver of RPG element is a RPG game. I certainly don't. As a base rule, I expect a game which boast itself in a specific genre to at least have about 25% of the game based on the genre in question... Many games which are boasted as classic RPGs don't fall in this category at all (and any of our members who are old enough know what I think about Diablo II in that regard).

I really wish there were good strategy games nowaday.
Old 26-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #17
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

There were just as many old bad games as there are new bad games. Not to mention some of the best games ever made came out long after 2000. RPG is a weak genre, it needs to be put onto another genres play style to make it work. Otherwise all you have is a whole bunch of character sheets and a dark screen and are playing Pencil and Paper D&D.

People have been pointing out they like Strategy games and the genre, they just prefer another one more. Just because it isn't someone's number one genre doesn't mean they aren't fully in love with the Strategy genre as well, they just like another one that bit more.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 26-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well... Considering that the percentage of what I consider "new bad games" rise up around 85%... No, there certainly wasn't as many bad games before in my book.

I'm curious to know, which game got out in the 2000's which was that good? If you tell me Fable I'll stop replying.
Old 26-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #19
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Fable, just to make you stop replying. But lets see from just my Steam list games that came out after 2000.

Borderlands, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dead Island, Dungeons of Dredmor, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead, Minecraft, Overlord 1 and 2, Recettear: An Item Shop Tale, Saints Row 3, Terraria, The Witcher.

And that is just games I have on Steam, or I use Steam to launch not even all the games I have on my PC at the moment. If I had to list every game that has come out in 11 years over PC and consoles that is good...well that would take forever.

And that doesn't include MMOs like WoW and SW:ToR.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 26-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #20
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well, too bad the vast majority of this list suffers from the YASFPS syndrome... And also, I thought we were talking about RPGs. I think Recettear is a classic one and I stopped looking at the next ones for lack of time...

The only game which look remotely interesting is Dungeon of Dredmor... And it's a graphical Roguelike. I would actually need to pay to play a Roguelike? Even worse, on Steam? A program I'll never run on my computer? Right.

If that's the best you can link to me then I think it prove my point. I never said there was no good games ever made during the 2000s... But the ratio of good games in the 2000s versus the '90s is like between one to five and one to ten.

And that's a shame.