Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #311
BillyH666

Hello again all you people, I just got a bunch of good quality floppy disks and have been going on kind of a nostalgia kick. So I was wondering if anyone has floppy img files for Arena? It's not essential, I've just noticed some files have original images for download and would like to maybe get that good old floppy feel. Anyway, no biggie if nobody has any just a request.
BillyH666 is offline                         Send a private message to BillyH666
Old 24-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #312
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH666 View Post
Hello again all you people, I just got a bunch of good quality floppy disks and have been going on kind of a nostalgia kick. So I was wondering if anyone has floppy img files for Arena? It's not essential, I've just noticed some files have original images for download and would like to maybe get that good old floppy feel. Anyway, no biggie if nobody has any just a request.
So sorry, dear BillyH666,

i have no img files of one of my favorite RP game.

yoga
Old 27-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #313
BillyH666

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
So sorry, dear BillyH666,

i have no img files of one of my favorite RP game.

yoga
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo! Ah well, I wasn't actually expecting anything. Luckily I now have an Arena CD burned as my plan b!
BillyH666 is offline                         Send a private message to BillyH666
Old 14-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #314
BillyH666

So, I finally got Arena to work on ME using an ems emulator. it runs well without sound, which brings me to my problem.... When I'm in ME, my sound card has auto soundblaster emulation, I've used it with daggerfall and the like, but when I set add sound in Arena, it starts without sound, I can proceed to the main menu but when I try to load a game or start a new one, the Insufficient Base Memory message pops up and closes the game. Could it be because the ems emulator only gives me 32mb of ems? I'd really appreciate the help.
Old 14-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #315
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH666 View Post
So, I finally got Arena to work on ME using an ems emulator. it runs well without sound, which brings me to my problem.... When I'm in ME, my sound card has auto soundblaster emulation, I've used it with daggerfall and the like, but when I set add sound in Arena, it starts without sound, I can proceed to the main menu but when I try to load a game or start a new one, the Insufficient Base Memory message pops up and closes the game. Could it be because the ems emulator only gives me 32mb of ems? I'd really appreciate the help.

Dear BillyH666,
I understand Your hard problem and know very well how feels the hero without sound warning in endless corridors of Daggerfall.
Excuse me, I do not know yr PC, but if You are able to use:
1. XP
2. 7
with DosBox, maybe You will be satisfied?
Virtual machines are also solution in some cases.

Please, can You inform us about your character and progress, if any?
I think that without Passwall spell is impossible to win.

Everyone of us meets situation when s(he) thinks that no solution and no victory is possible. I still remember my problem with Fast falling doors in Dungeon Master 2. Seven long days poor yoga tried and tried and tried to run under the doors. At last i ran under..
Or my funny battle with Lord Xeen..
So, be brave and You will win.
Stand up and fight!
You are lucky to play one of the best RPG. After BoK.

..and do not run as stupid one but step by step carefully advance.

Good luck.

To be fair i ignored sound and music in many games.
I used my headphones and good music replaced game's one, which is very ordinary in many cases.
yoga
Old 14-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #316
BillyH666

Well, with a 12 mhz pentium 3 and only 256 mb of actual ram, I think i'll find some celtic harp music and play away!!!
Old 15-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #317
BillyH666

Welp, got sound to work using vdm for win9x, still has an insufficient base memory crash, so guess i'm playing deaf!
Old 15-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #318
Scatty
Treasure hunter

You've got a Pentium III with 12 (!) Mhz? How is that possible? Not even a 486 line of processors had such low clock speeds.
That with insufficient memory, your problem is not 32 MB of EMS memory, it's more than enough. The problem is that Arena, being an earlier Dos game, requires much conventional memory (look here if you're not familiar with it), at least 580 kb for playing with sound if I remember correctly. I don't know about this EMS emulator, but if you're playing this game directly from Windows then it's a bad call, you would need to configure startup settings for the Dos part in the files autoexec.bat and config.sys correctly to have enough conventional memory available.
Or you'd need to play it in DosBox, though with 12 Mhz speed... wow.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 15-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #319
BillyH666

I would play it from pure dos with my village idiot disc, but the sound card I gots has no dos emulation , and it's a laptop so no part swapping for that. Luckily I know how to edit the autoexec through regedit, bypassing ME's wonderful resetting autoexec file. I'm gonna see if I can free up some conventional memory without blowing my compie up (she's an old gal.) and either boast about my success or cry....
Old 15-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #320
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

PIIIs had clock rates from 450 to 1400 mHz, the 12 mHz is probably a typo

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman