Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Oddbrother
Forum hobbit

Default Hosting Data and Audio Separately

When hosting a CD-ROM game that has audio tracks in it, I'd like to suggest that the data track (ISO) be a separate downloadable from the audio (CUE/WAV). This leaves less to download at a time, and having an option to include music is there when people want it. No need to put them both in one large file (BIN/CUE/CCD/IMG/ETC.) unless it's part of a copy protection scheme.

By audio, I mean the music that you could hear if you put the game CD in a music player (tracks 2 and up).

Other possibilities would also to be to separate any other content that would otherwise be skipped in-game if not found and/or prompted you to have another CD to do that. Some games can do this when they have or want large video files (but not need them).

Last edited by Oddbrother; 24-09-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Oddbrother is offline                         Send a private message to Oddbrother
Old 25-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

We can host rips on the website, but the whole point of the ISO Cellar, besides not missing content, is to preserve the exact image of an original disk. So on the Cellar we'll always go for a single image, for the sake of preservation/fidelity.

On the website we go for rips when it's necessary because the full game is too big for us to host. Anyway we've traditionally hosted DOS games in ready to play format instead of images. But none of this in the ISO Cellar.

Do you have any individual game case in mind?
Old 27-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Oddbrother
Forum hobbit

Currently not what’s in Abandonia right now. They either have yet to be approved and/or hosted first.

By the way, you wouldn’t happen to support classic Mac stuff, would you?

Last edited by Oddbrother; 27-09-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Oddbrother is offline                         Send a private message to Oddbrother
Old 27-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

We're PC exclusive since the start.

(Honestly I'd be in favor of expanding into any platform, but there are so many more important things that need to be improved, and that we're unable to do...)
Old 14-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Oddbrother
Forum hobbit

Okay, my best example would be this.

I have the U.S. version of Fatal Racing (Whiplash). However, the CD has been physically damaged and I've only been able to get the data tracks from it without problem. I haven't had the same luck with the audio tracks though and gave up on those.

Since Fatal Racing is already hosted in The ISO Cellar, and its audio tracks are mainly the same as my CD, what if I either...
  1. just hosted the data track from my CD independently, or
  2. forge an image using the data track from my CD, and the audio tracks from the already hosted image instead?
Would this be acceptable?
Old 16-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

If it's also for the ISO Cellar I think it's better to rebuild a single image file. Although if you have the same exact edition as the one already in the Cellar, it's better just to mirror the same file. If your edition is different (country etc.) it would be valuable, and it could be rebuilt since we can assume the audio tracks are the same.

If it's for the main website we'd first need to figure out if the audio fits into the maximum size at all. If it does I guess it would have to be ripped into mp3/4/etc.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
alfredsoo90
Lurker

A big thank to all of you that participated, TotalAnarchy in primis, who dedicated lot of time and energies to make this happen.