Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #111
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Yes raising a 'new nation' is thrilling except I hate it when I am obliged to obliterate a 'native village or tribe' :angry: I prefer capturing the other Europeans' cities

But like all the other Sid Meier's games it's great, BUT I still maintain it come second to Civilization I. k:
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 15-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #112

colonization? probably one of the finest games ever!
i like the idea of "raising a nation". in cooperation with a friend of mine we changed the texts of the game, pretty funny. the most interesting side of this game is that you are powerful - you decide to wipe out indians or - my favourites - the french. ;-)

Old 16-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #113
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Use colonize, not viceroy. Viceroy is the information holding file for running the startup menu. Otherwise, its ran as a program within a program and cannot run the game properly by itself.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 17-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #114
bahman
Abandonia nerd

There are many many reasons to attack native as following:

1) if you have mission in their vilage then they all convert, so you can get populated much much much faster. You can easily buy 5 dragons and bless 5 unites and you can get 5 native each turn which means a city with population 10 every other turn. That is the main issue. In another hand the converted native work much better on the filed than normal unit (obviously worst than expert unit) so your cities expand much more faster. Latter you can have them all converted to normal unit so you can teach them what experties you like.

2) Treasure. Especially if you attack city rather than camp or vilage. Oh man 13000 $.

3) Having their land for free. You just need few pioneers to bulid the cities behind the line of your attack. The converted natvie should be send to city soon.

4) Having less trouble. That is obvious, they are just unpredictable.

bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 18-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #115
a15drian
Game freak

Send a message via MSN to a15drian

Here are some cheats
alt+W+I+N a cheat bar will apear
in the colony
shift+4=money more money
shift+1=all upgrades
shift+5= press a cargo and it gives you +100 of that
shift+t= gives you a colonist
shift+s= select a colonist and put him there were you wan't him and then use this cheat to upgrade him to were you put him ok
Old 19-11-2005, 01:17 AM   #116
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
There are many many reasons to attack native as following:
Nah, i prefer too be cool with them, but the choise itīs done when electing the ontinental congress, if i got the option Francisco de Soto or Hernan Cortez. I chose the first and let the indians got a happy life. But sometimes only comes Cortes and if u get Juan de Sepulveda too, itīs the same. U can try to attack other europeans, an early attack in the game could be very beneficial. I never builded too many cities, never more than 9 and somes where only plate mines.

I can understand why to cheat a girlfriend, or why to cheat a party, or even a friend. But cheat the AI in a pc game...
Old 21-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #117
*Happy*

9 cities? That's way too much for me - the main problem being the irritating unit limit - I once had 14 colonies, but I could barely defend them because of this.
Also, it really helps if most or all of them have access to ore - it's needed for the 2 most important things in the game - tools and muskets. This works especially well on the higher difficulty levels, as the king always raises the prices for tools and muskets really high, allowing you to make loads of money.

As for the indians, the 2 biggest problems about them are that they can't stand large colonies and that they like to make unprovoked attacks on your treasure units. However, you can really rip off the poor indians when trading with a wagon train (buy 100 silver for 200 gold!).

The AI for the Europeans is poor and really shouldn't be much of a threat - I usually ignore them, except for their juicy merchant ships that fall foul of my privateers

Old 25-11-2005, 02:41 AM   #118
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
As for the indians, the 2 biggest problems about them are that they can't stand large colonies and that they like to make unprovoked attacks on your treasure units.
The best places to build colonies in América (at North, where now is USA and South, where now is Argentina). In free maps, i can make an initial colonization(exporting just raw materials), a quick campaing of cleaning wich will give u some veteran soldiers and that must end with the raze of the indian capital(relations goes to good again) and a second colonization(industralization). I donīt know why but i like my troops at cities, attack always the enemy(this game itīs like civ where the key of war itīs to fortify and hold out), here attack, attack any unit near your city. :Titan:
Old 15-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #119
bahman
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Nov 19 2005, 02:17 AM
Nah, i prefer too be cool with them, but the choise itīs done when electing the ontinental congress, if i got the option Francisco de Soto or Hernan Cortez. I chose the first and let the indians got a happy life. But sometimes only comes Cortes and if u get Juan de Sepulveda too, itīs the same. U can try to attack other europeans, an early attack in the game could be very beneficial. I never builded too many cities, never more than 9 and somes where only plate mines.

I can understand why to cheat a girlfriend, or why to cheat a party, or even a friend. But cheat the AI in a pc game...
9!? Oh man no way. I am playing a game in a wast lant and I am currently have 28 cities (as far as I remeber and all have more than 15 and they are in perfect condition). Oh man I don't remeber how many Caravan I have, I can't keep track of them. Well I don't think if I can finish this game.
bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 19-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #120
Aname

LITTLE CHEAT

there is a way to play alone (no other europeans) , dig on the files and open the one that holds all data on movement, construction costs etc (dont remember the name of the file "menus" maby") then make caravel movement 0 and play as the dutch. (WIN is a game killer)

SOME TIPS

Unload civilians built colony and click on all its squares before meeting the indians,that will save you from buying their land.

Create self suficient colonies , farmer/lumberjack/carpender/ore miner/blacksmith/farmer are the way i bult my cities.I find that the most difficault ware to have is ore, so save before building.

Plow forrests around enemy colonies (lame but it works), dont mess the market that much , get styvensant and a customs house, get loads of horses everywhere (you can transfer even 2 of them in a colony and they will multiply) . When playing in america 1 port is enough , expand inlands . Use wagons as warehouses for horses/guns , wagons are great for moving supplies but not for trade.

Built a couple of unis , one for statemen and one for craftsmen.Use indians , you can sell them anything without having the prices dropped, they can also train your colonists early on. Im not a big fan of missionaries but if you can hundle the load of converts are not completely worthless.When you are big enough to built a catherdal your colonies will give you extra population on their own so cathedrals are a waste of time & meterials.

Be sure that the king is boycotting all of your products before sending the guy that erase them in the councill (sp?) , that will give you extra time before the taxes start rising again.