Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Dino
Call me Edmund

Well, I'm listening to new Queen live album with Paul Rodgers (ex. Free, Bad Company) named ''Return of the Champions'' and I would like to know what do you think about it.

The fact is that it could never be the same again without Freddy, but these rock legends still delivered a stunning performance, in my opinion. Have you heard it, and what's your opinion about it?
Old 30-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Haven't heard it, but it's like you said - there will NEVER be another Freddie Mercury. To me, it's just not the same...
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 30-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Sorry, this is just fake. It's just for the money. Had they been wanting to make music again, they could've made a "new" band. But using the name "Queen" for this is just disgusting. Freddie Mercury was more than just one quarter of the band. And there's no way any other singer could ever do him justice. And now it's even just Deacon and May PLUS a "new" singer and PLUS a new bass-player. That says quite something. I even dare to speculate that Paul Rodgers wasn't their first choice, but the first/only one willing to play that foul game.

Sorry, but give me an honest Queen-tribute band any time over that garbage.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 30-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #4
Dino
Call me Edmund

Quote:
But using the name "Queen" for this is just disgusting

They're not. Even the cover clearly states that - ''Queen+Paul Rodgers''. Queen stands for those who infact are The Queen (and it's May and Taylor, not Deacon). They're not into fooling anyone.

Quote:
Sorry, but give me an honest Queen-tribute band any time over that garbage.
Well, that's your choice. Personally, I would rather listen to that ''garbage'', all those songs performed by people who have actually written and performed them (even if it lacks Freedie) than by some tribute band.
Old 30-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Well, you asked for opinions, didn't you?

And please, don't split hairs here. "Queen" is "Queen", wether you put a "+ Paul Rodgers" behind it or not. And it's also still only TWO original members.
And personally I believe, that most tribute bands have indeed more dignity and respect for the material. It's the same with many "old" bands these days, sadly.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 30-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Dino
Call me Edmund

Quote:
Well, you asked for opinions, didn't you?
Of course I did, because I was aware that this could be a good topic to discuss. I just didn't like that ''garbage'' stuff of yours. But you made your point, and that's ok with me.

Quote:
And personally I believe, that most tribute bands have indeed more dignity and respect for the material. It's the same with many "old" bands these days, sadly.
I couldn't think that way, aren't tribute bands infact those who try to get money from playing their idols' songs? If those were good bands, they would probably make a success with their own stuff.
Old 30-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

I said "garbage", because that is what it looks like to me. I could say rip-off or fake, if you prefer.
And cover-bands never pretend to be "the real thing", but just a tribute-ban, reprising their "heroes'" tunes. But that is just what this "Queen-reunion" looks like to me... pretending that THIS would still be Queen, which it just isn't.
Quote:
If those were good bands, they would probably make a success with their own stuff.
Sorry, but this is rather naive (and also wrong in so many ways), and I guess you even know that yourself.
Old 30-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
Dino
Call me Edmund

Quote:
pretending that THIS would still be Queen, which it just isn't.

It isn't COMPLETE Queen, and could never be without Freddy, as I said in my first post. But I still like it, guess I'm to fond of those songs...

Quote:
Sorry, but this is rather naive (and also wrong in so many ways), and I guess you even know that yourself.
OK, maybe I was a bit harsh there, but at least that stands for those tribute bands that sell their stuff in CD shops with covers like: QUEEN (font size 40), and beneath it barely readable: ''performed by tribute band XY'' (font size 2).
Old 30-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Just so i know, is this "Queen" stuff a temporary thing, like for one tour + live album, or is it supposed to last ? Or was it supposed to be temporary but became lasting because of success ?(like Kiss and their "supposed to last one year reunion tour" that ended up the real thing because of megabucks and renewed fame). If it's just a one tour gig and because the cover clearly states Queen + paul Rodgers, and him being not too bad a choice, i think it's OK. If it becomes the "new" Queen, then i will have to open the rift between the worlds, and do some serious bargaining with a minor demon (it's not worth a major one, and the kind of bargain involved can be quite draining) to make sure that some serious $hit is sent their way ! :twisted:
No one, and that includes Brian May himself, should mess with Queen ! :ranting:
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 30-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I don't really care, as long as it's good music.
Judging from what you've said Overlord, I'm inclined to check it out, being a fan of Queen.
You know, a semi-original band is better than no band.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy