Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
LordTenebrae

Hi, I'm posting this because of a problem I've been having with Doom. I've noticed you guys have Doom II (instead of the first one) on your database, so I got Doom II too and I'm experiencing problems with the same stuff as well.
The problem I have is regarding the sound effects. I usually run Doom without any special programs, but with the SETUP first. I can configure two types of sounds; MUSIC and FX SOUND. If I play Doom (or Doom II) without FX Sound, it runs perfectly -either with background music or not- but whenever I try setting up the FX Sound, things get messy. I've tried every possible set up for FX Sounds, but the only one that works (partially) is Sound Blaster. The problem is, on Doom I, everytime there is a FX Sound Effect, the screen freezes for a very short moment, not really annoying at first, but imagine how the game runs using a Plasma Gun or a Machine Gun- lots of mini-freezes get really annoying. As a result, the sound also comes out choppy. I've tried running the game with DOSBox, but no matter what number of cycles I try, it's running waaay too slow. VDMSound runs the game too, but the Sound Blaster problem persists. Note that, on Doom II, whenever a FX Sound Effect goes on, the game slows down a LOT, which makes it impossible to play. That means I can only run the game without FX Sound Effects if I want to play it the right way, and I'd really like to change that (it works fine with Background music on though, and I think that's because it doesn't run on Sound blaster)
I've come to the conclusion that Sound Blaster is the problem. I've tried browsing through the forums, and the 'Sound not working FAQs' too, but I can't find anything that works. Do I need any special Sound Blaster 16/Pro drivers? I've also looked for those, but I've got nothing.
Does anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.
:wallbash:
LordTenebrae is offline                         Send a private message to LordTenebrae
Old 15-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

If VDMSound doesn't work for you try DOSBox but, configure it to emulate a dynamic CPU core, which will allow you to reach higher cycles with the same machine. However if your machine is very old you might not be able to play Doom through DOSBox at all. Another option, aside from VDMSound, is installing real DOS in a separate partition of your hard drive, but that will only help if your soundcard is old enough to support SB16 emulation.
Old 15-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Roadkill
Forum hobbit

Strangely enough it my doom II or doom wont work either way for some reason... it gets to the loading screen but then just hangs.

anyone else having the same problem?
Roadkill is offline                         Send a private message to Roadkill
Old 15-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
LordTenebrae

QUOTE(Japofran @ Jul 15 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]243444[/snapback]
Quote:
If VDMSound doesn't work for you try DOSBox but, configure it to emulate a dynamic CPU core, which will allow you to reach higher cycles with the same machine. However if your machine is very old you might not be able to play Doom through DOSBox at all. Another option, aside from VDMSound, is installing real DOS in a separate partition of your hard drive, but that will only help if your soundcard is old enough to support SB16 emulation.
[/b]
Ok, I will try the dynamic thingie. I'm too lazy to do the DOS stuff with the partition and all, but my head still lingers in the idea that I might need some sort of sound blaster driver...

QUOTE(Roadkill @ Jul 15 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]243451[/snapback]
Quote:
Strangely enough it my doom II or doom wont work either way for some reason... it gets to the loading screen but then just hangs.

anyone else having the same problem?
[/b]
I used to have that problem when I ran Doom on VDMSound. I downloaded the latest VDMSound version and it stopped, you can try that and see what happens.

Open for more alternatives in case the dynamic cpu core thing doesn't work~

**EDIT: I've tried the Dynamic CPU Core, but it still runs slower than Doom without any programs. My computer is not that old though, so I don't really know what's up with that. Hoping there is a solution ._.
LordTenebrae is offline                         Send a private message to LordTenebrae