Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-08-2006, 02:53 AM   #1
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

I heard that a new version of Abandonia (and Reloaded if I assume correctly) is currently planned. I do not know whether this has been suggested or even already planned or not, but I was wondering if it is possible to include printable review format in the new version.

Sometimes when I read reviews that I like on AB and AR, I often print them to .pdf to keep. Other times I just save the review page into .htm file. The reviews on AB, when printed or saved, are actually not bad when opened on Acrobat or viewed with browser. But the ones on AR turn messy I don't know if the problem is on my side or not, so if it is actually my own problem, my apology.

Anyway, if it is not too much problem, perhaps a printable format can be added? Just a suggestion, if it is too much trouble then forget about it.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 AM   #2
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Well this is the right place for an idea like this.

I don't know what I think about it tho. Printing off reviews? Why would you want to do that? Not that I'm saying it's a bad idea... at least not for my reviews.

But I don't see why would you want to have a review of a game on a, and let's not kid ourselves, mildly popular at best website on paper? So that you can show it to your kids when your old and tell them about the good ol days when anyone for any reason could make a "web page" instead of the neuro-feeds that your kids will be into? I mean, this ain't CNN. This is harly an authoritive site on games. That's what mobygames is for.

I'm not trying to belittle the idea. I just don't understand where it's coming from. But, hey, lets hear from some others. If everone else thinks it's a good idea who am I to balk?
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 11-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #3
rabadi

It is mostly for... what do you call it, memorabilia or something. When I download a game from Abandonia, if I really like the game, I will download the manual, music, walkthrough, box scan, etc. and not just the game. Maybe it's just my way of *immortalizing* the game for myself. I do not print the .pdf into paper, just burn the .pdf file along with the game and all other things mentioned before to a CD-ROM. And yeah, it would be great to be able to show them to kids in the future

As for mobygames, if I really like the game that I download from Abandonia, I even go to mobygames and print additional info from there too. Add info from Wikipedia as well, if I really like the game. Maybe it's a collector obsession

But as I said, if it is too much trouble (and I can imagine it is not simple to change the program), then forget about it.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Shouldn't be that hard to copy-paste the text into word or notepad or something, surely?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 AM   #5
rabadi

But it will lose the AB and AR "feel" then. Usually I just print right from the browser into a .pdf file (in this case, I am using the free PrimoPDF), or merely save the review into .htm (complete with the images) file. So, no copy and paste is actually necessary. It's just that when I open the .pdf or .html file, usually it turns out messy (mostly with AR review, while AB one is not bad at all actually). Again, I don't know whether this messy problem is on my side or not.

Anyway, basically this is just a suggestion, so not a big deal