Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

Default Community Outcast

Let's say that there's this game you really like, and you're a fan of it. However, you have to exclude yourself from the main community or fanbase for the game and become an outcast, because you feel the community is corrupt or something bad like that.

Have you ever had to do that? Because I had to. And with one of my absolute favorite games, Mortal Kombat:

I live in America, the land of the free. As such, I have the right to like a game series my own way and own style. Which is what I need to do with Mortal Kombat, because there's a lot in the new 2011 game's storyline that I don't agree with. I had to become an outcast from this series's fanbase for a very good reason: They relish communism.

No joke. They always force you to like the series their way. And they deny you the right to choose for yourself. Two examples:

1. They force you to hate Midway Arcade Treasures (which has arcade emulations of Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3 on it) because they think it's not "arcade-perfect", and deem the only way you're allowed to play the games is through MAME (which I hate using for several reasons). Rubbish. Midway Arcade has always been a good way for me to play the arcade versions of those games at home, on my computer (better than MAME IMO), and on the go thanks to my PSP.

2. Basically, the only games you're allowed to love and cherish under their evil dictatorship is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat 2011, with the reason being that they're the only two that are used for high-level tournament play. More rubbish. Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 may not be tournament fighters, but they're the two games that got everyone into the series in the first place. The PS2 trilogy of Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon was also worth playing despite the "brokenness".

I had to endure totalitarian rule from this community for a long time. I finally got fed up with it and fought back standing up for what I believe in. Unfortunately it didn't get me very far, as they ridiculed and banned me for not embracing their hateful tyranny.

I still love Mortal Kombat, but now, like I said, I love it my own way. With Mortal Kombat II my favorite game in the series, and owning several copies of Midway Arcade Treasures across several platforms. I may be an outcast, but it's better to be free than to have no rights.
SpiDoL is offline                         Send a private message to SpiDoL
Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I don't think communism means what you think it means.

Anyway, if you like something who cares what other people think
Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I've witnessed several communities like that. At the beginning they were ok, but as they started growing, a sort of majority formed itself, and this majority always tried to impose their own view on things. For example, I was part of a local community, and after 2-3 years of existence they banned all discussions related to some free MMOs like Mu and Lineage 2 or online FPSs like Counter-Strike, because they "cause" addiction etc. While I agree that game addiction is a bad thing, I'm against people imposing their will on others just because they think they're right. That was around the time when I found it appropriate to leave the respective community.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

My point exactly.

My local buddy likes to call these communities and people "Opinion Nazis", and I think that's the perfect term for them.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Two words: Star Wars. I reject the new trilogy and nearly everything that was released in the recent years. This can also put you in the minority...
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The minority being the people who are correct.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

This shouldn't be considered off-topic, but the following is my own interpretation of the Mortal Kombat storyline, which the community scolded me for creating which in turn led to my revolt against them:

Quote:
Before I state my take on the story, I want to explain why I'm doing it:

-Because I'm more of a retro gamer and mostly like classic games better than new games.
-Because this way I don't end up hating Mortal Kombat 2011 and fearing the direction the series is going.

There are three versions of the Mortal Kombat storyline:
1. The canonical story of Mortal Kombat 1, 2, 3 + Ultimate + Trilogy, and 4 + Gold. The story progresses as it originally did, and when Liu Kang defeats Shinnok at the end of MK4, Earthrealm is saved forever, and everyone lives happily ever after. The End.

2. The "What-If?" story of Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon. In my view of the canonical story, Quan Chi is captured and killed by Scorpion at the end of MK4, thus Scorpion truly avenges his family and clan. But since I consider MKDA a "What-If?" story, Quan Chi is allowed to form the Deadly Alliance with Shang Tsung in this new timeline, thus starting the chain of events that lead to Armageddon and Earthrealm's impending doom. Which leads to...

3. The "Alternate Take" of the "What-If?" story, a.k.a. Mortal Kombat 2011. In my view, the Alternate Take can't really be the canonical story all over again, partly because things were already messed up BEFORE Raiden messed things up. For example: Nightwolf, Kitana and Jade, Sektor and Cyrax, Jax, Quan Chi, and Baraka were never part of the original tournament. So I base it on the "What If?" story, because that's where it fits better.

That's my take on the storyline. You're welcome to disagree with me, but just remember: I've loved Mortal Kombat ever since I was a child, and by doing this take, I'm trying to defend that love and keep it going, whether the series goes for better or for worse.
I felt in the new game's storyline that Raiden, when he altered time, did too much damage and not enough healing. This especially affects my favorite character, Sub-Zero, who was turned into a robot, killed, and turned into an evil slave thanks to the tinkering with time. I was going to switch to Scorpion as my favorite character, who I'm equally good with, but I ultimately decided not to, because part of the reason I don't like the new game's storyline is that Netherrealm Studios (formerly Midway Games) like to play favorites, and they abused that privilege tremendously with this installment. For example, Ed Boon (the creator of Mortal Kombat). His all-time favorite character is Scorpion, and he abused the privilege of having a favorite character by having Scorpion beat up and kill Sub-Zero in all the promotions and merchandising for the new game.

I still play Mortal Kombat 2011, but deep down, I'm extremely disappointed with the direction it had the story go. However, with my custom interpretation of the MK storyline, I don't have to fear what happens to Sub-Zero anymore. Like I said, IMO only the first four games are canonical, and every other game (including the 2011 game) is a spinoff. I honestly think it works well this way, and I'm sure you guys would agree.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yeah, well actually... I just don't get it why would anyone be so serious about a fictional universe. I mean, I haven't seen these kind of things on forums before (banning certain topics) but I'm sure those administrators who commit such deeds are criminally insane. And this has nothing to do with MK, it's general. I can pretty much imagine your situation, so I understand your problem SpiDol.
Well, all I can say is, that you don't really need those villains to enjoy the games, do you? It's not that it would be on-line only.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Tracker has been banned*

*Just kidding!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Two words: Star Wars. I reject the new trilogy and nearly everything that was released in the recent years. This can also put you in the minority...
Prequel trilogy? What prequel trilogy?

Seriously, SpiDol, good for you. Look up "thought police" and trust your own instincts. No one should ever tell you what to think. So ignore everything I just said. Or don't. Or...aarghnevermind.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete