Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-06-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Default Close Combat

I remember, a while back, I played this great game, called "Close Combat: A Bridge to Far" and it was so awesome. I love tactical combat games (including Brother in Arms and GI Combat Episode 1, which isn't that good but still ok) and now im once again hooked on realisstic tactical combat. Seconds ago, on the Demo of CC:aBtF, I had a rifle squad distract a german tank while my 2 shermans flanked around!

I wish I had the full game, but can't find i anywhere, and dont buy stuff off internet...Wish this game were free....

Anyways, anyone still play these games?
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 15-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
RPG

I like tactical games iv played Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood , BiA Road to Hell
Sudden Strike , Blitzkrieg
and the game that you posted looks pretty good
RPG is offline                         Send a private message to RPG
Old 15-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
RPG

If I actually know from where to download this (Close Combat A Bridge too Far) can it be played on windows xp
RPG is offline                         Send a private message to RPG
Old 15-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Ermuli
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG View Post
If I actually know from where to download this (Close Combat A Bridge too Far) can it be played on windows xp
I just tested the game with Windows XP SP3 and at least it started all OK. It is a retail copy.
Ermuli is offline                         Send a private message to Ermuli
Old 15-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Im just goona see if I can order a Bridge to Far from a local pc shop.

BTW Sudden Strike 1 is fun, I like it too, wish that game was free too. Are you from a different country? In North America it called BIA: Hells Highway. Wish I had a better pc so I could get road to hill 30 and earned in blood. Never played Earneed in blood yet but I love BIA cus it's both realistic and fun, if you like tactical/realistic like games

ANYWAYS, im goona get some cash then go order the game, if it's still possible..
Old 16-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Thraka
Forum hobbit

None of those games compare to the Close Combat series. Close Combat has been known for a great degree of realism and great soldier mental state AI, I never found the other games to be close. (Except for the Combat Mission series)

Matrix Games aquired the Close Combat license and published Cross of Iron which is a reworked Close Combat 3 (russian front) game engine with updates and new content (i think) I have it and have played multiplayer on it, worked like a charm!

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=335

Your PC Shop may order it for you.

One of the best fan sites for Close Combat:
http://www.closecombatonline.com/CSO/
http://www.closecombatonline.com/forums/

Last edited by Thraka; 16-06-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Added link to CSO and the Forums
Thraka is offline                         Send a private message to Thraka
Old 17-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

i wish i had a good pc, so i could also get first to fight.

GI Combat is ok, it's made by some of the ppl that made Close Combat..

And i love Brothers In Arms, just cause it's D-Day and on (later in the series, like Earned in Blood, Hell's highway, and supposibly the next ones supposed to be in the Battle of the Bulge) but it's first person shooter, with tactical elements, and realism, cus you can't just go clash and slash, Dont think it's tactical? Example. On one of the levels, i had a Flak 88 on top of a hill, with i think a 4 man german fire team protecting it's rear flank, so what did I do? I went to the side, and planted a charge on a hedge/wall thingie, and then ran threw it up the hill, and luckily it only got one shot off, and missed my squad and I took out the gun crew, then flanked the germans protecting it's flank, thats when i lost a guy. When i got my squad to form up at the top of the hill, one of m guys was running to me and right when he stopped, his head like, exploded and he was dead...

Anyways, time for my close combat experiences....

I've played Bridge to far on my bro's pc, cus he has full version, and in like a home made mappy thingie, We had 2 german mortar crews set up in two different forests, and a Panzer on a hill nearby, watching the lower lands, aswell as heavy german resistance in the near by town. SOOOO I got an artillary strike on the hill, which sadly failed because the Panzer moved to support the town, but was destroyed by my anti-tank gun, and then i got a squad to cover the rest of my platoon/company while they ran for the little forests under heavy mortar fire, and managed to destroy the 2 mortar crews.

Then, i pulled my squad out of the town and had my men line he tree line of the forest, and all the german squads who came met the deafening barrage of my anti-tank gun, as well as withering machine gun fire. After about 15 minutes of this, I bombarded the town for a bit, then moved all my squads in, and captured all the key points