Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #41
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Without the movie-clips, it lacks its main sweetness. The rest's the old Civ, in Windows-form, with better graphics and some new wonders. Still a great game, although it became repetitive after my second game (got a strategy then that made me crush all, killing the entire challenge)
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 23-01-2005, 04:21 AM   #42
Intellivison

Heh this game reminds me of my highschool days. We had this game on the computers in the drafting lab. Got sent to the deans more than once cause I was caught playing this instead of practicing the cad systems.

Thanks alot for this one.....ahh such memories LOL

Like the time I climbed up on a desk and turned the clock ahead 15 minutes, got out of drafting early for a week. LOL
Intellivison is offline                         Send a private message to Intellivison
Old 05-02-2005, 05:57 AM   #43
Mardi-Gras
Forum hobbit

Maybe i just fear change, but I still think Civ2 is better than Civ3. And I'm a big fan of Colonization also. My idea of perfection would be a Settlers 2 game with the research tree capability of Civ2 and the micromanagement (and piracy) of Colonization. Umm... now I'm trying to ork out a way of adding elements of UFO:EU into it. That'd be too cool. I'm gonna go lie down.
Mardi-Gras is offline                         Send a private message to Mardi-Gras
Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #44
goblins
Game Wizzard

you know ive got both (just brought civ 3 and to be honest they are both good = civ 3 because it has additional elements but civ 2 also had its share of advantages _ the main thing with civ 3 is the ease at which bombers and fighters can be rebased without moving them over several turns) and also another thing with civ 3 is the AI wasnt quite as good as it could have been with a complex game)
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 08-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #45
Evilzealot

I remember I played this game when i was 9. I remeber that i could play this for hours and that my parents would force me to go out when i was playing this game. And I also like This more than Civ III.
Evilzealot is offline                         Send a private message to Evilzealot
Old 17-02-2005, 07:18 AM   #46
bill jones

Quote:
Originally posted by LotharGR@Mar 29 2004, 04:01 PM
No it isn't realistic at all. And as i said above, that is not the only problem of the game. Also, the company that produced Civ III ( Firaxis ) had imported some very good ideas in their previous game, Alfa Centauri, and they didn't put them in Civ III. I didn't expected to see custom units like in A.Centauri ( that would be very difficult and somewhat unrealistic ) but at least i would like to see cities in the water ( of course in very technologicaly advanced civilizations ), or the very nice landscape that A.Centauri had ( in a more "earthly" version of course :P ) ...For me, CiV II still holds the title of the best Civilization style game ever
I've played all three of Civ games and they all follow the same trend:

"STRUGGLE IN BEGINNING as rivals are just as powerful as you.
YOu reach a point where you're the strongest in the world and it's a cakewalk."

Seriulsy, the AI is too stupid to coompletely conquer you after you are a superpower.

Of the three, Civ 2 is the best in my opinion. Because you can customize it! Edit the rules.txt and the units.gif files and you can have a complately different game.

I would play Civ 1 again before I will ever play Civ 3 again. Civ 3 is nice and all but it's too slow and complex. I believe the series are about conquering the world and Civ 3 doesn't do that too well.

Old 17-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #47
Gimpy

Civ 4 is in the works, it is not being made by fraxis, The Sid Company has steped in and plan on makeing it.

So Far what has been said is they are keeping to the formula so there will be very few changes form the other games, the one change people will notice is that Era combat will be more real...Modern troops will distroy bronze age troops and such...

you can read the full article in "Computer Games" magazine March issue i beleive (cant find it atm, has a dark elf from World of warcraft on the cover

Old 18-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #48
Hanzo

This is by far the game I have wasted my time on the most. Civ 3 on the other had was just to slow and ugly. It didn't flow nearly as smooth as this jewel, sort of why Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 are wayyyy better than the fourth game.
They put in encumbering graphics when they should put in more gameplay.

Civ 1 on the other hand had two things that i miss in civ 2, those being the castelbuilding part, instead of a ugly throneroom, and at the end when you could sit back and enjoy a nice view of the worldmap and see just how smart you really were

(P.S My best result was that one time when I beat it on diety, I got well
over 200% in the end raiting )
Hanzo is offline                         Send a private message to Hanzo
Old 01-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #49
Beldar

I just love this game, and I love it even more when playing against other human players. Reason is because the AI is incredibly stupid and cheats a lot.

Some examples :
I spotted 2 AI triremes full of units in a 2 square lake... :blink:
They make too many suicide fights, like attacking my tank with a legion...
They are free to cancel a peace treaty by attacking one of your units WITHOUT suffering diplomatic relations with others.
2 AI civilization that I have NEVER met agreed to make an alliance war against me.
I heard that it is impossible to win in Deity difficulty.
And many, many more...

www.civfanatics.com is a great site about the Civilization series, and you can see that they say the same thing about the AI in Civ 2.
Beldar is offline                         Send a private message to Beldar
Old 01-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #50
lethe
Game freak

Civ II was the best of civ's for me just cause you couldn't start in fixed positions in the 3rd. Diplomacy and pretty much everything else was developed in the 3rd, but the fact I could start americans in australia or india, and the poor graphics of units in the 3rd (they all looked alike) make me play civ II whenever I feel like playing one of them.

And gotta love the little extras like the high council and the palace room. k:
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe