Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
ocoloco

I downloaded lord of the realms from this site but the game freezes/ hangs in the screen after I filled in my name.
My computer works on WinXP I use Dosbox 0.65, with and without dosbox the game freezes at the same screen.

Can anybody help me with this problem?
ocoloco is offline                         Send a private message to ocoloco
Old 03-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

When running the game in DosBox, did you do anything with the soundcard settings?
I think the filename is "setup" or "install". Run it, and input the following values:
Sound Blaster 16
Adress 220h
IRQ 7
DMA 1

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
ocoloco

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Oct 3 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]259099[/snapback]
Quote:
When running the game in DosBox, did you do anything with the soundcard settings?
I think the filename is "setup" or "install". Run it, and input the following values:
Sound Blaster 16
Adress 220h
IRQ 7
DMA 1
[/b]
I did nothing with the sound settings, i assumed the game was ready to play after unzipping.

Following your advice I have run setup.exe, in dosbox after selecting soundblaster (no sb16 option available) the setup finishes, no questions about adress/dma/irq etc, when i run the game its starts better, even with music but it still freezes in the same screen with the music playing.

I also run setup in windows but then the setup stays in a loop asking for adress/dma/irq

extra info when i start up dosbox i get this info

blaster a220 I7 D1 H5 T6

ultrasnd 240 3 3 5 5

edit: before running the setup.exe the default name is "sir shrek", after running the setup.exe the default name is "player1"
Old 04-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I've downloaded the archive. Will look into the problem.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

Well, that is strange... :blink:

I just downloaded and tried it in both ways - with and without DOSBox and it runs fine both ways...
In fact, when you configure it through DOSBox (by running SETUP.EXE), when you choose the Soundblaster it won't ask you for the parameters. Since DOSBox also emulates Adlib, try choosing it instead...

Also, what do you do after you fill your name? It's no use to press "Enter", because the game will wait until you choose the color of your "Shield". After that, if it stops for a while, just try to click both left and right mouse keys - not simultaneously...

The game "remembers" the player who played the game the last time and "greets" him - yes, that was me before I upload the game :bleh: ; unfortunately I didn't remember to "clean" it by running setup before the upload: sorry
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 08-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
ocoloco

QUOTE(Shrek @ Oct 4 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]259397[/snapback]
Quote:
Well, that is strange... :blink:

I just downloaded and tried it in both ways - with and without DOSBox and it runs fine both ways...
In fact, when you configure it through DOSBox (by running SETUP.EXE), when you choose the Soundblaster it won't ask you for the parameters. Since DOSBox also emulates Adlib, try choosing it instead...

Also, what do you do after you fill your name? It's no use to press "Enter", because the game will wait until you choose the color of your "Shield". After that, if it stops for a while, just try to click both left and right mouse keys - not simultaneously...

The game "remembers" the player who played the game the last time and "greets" him - yes, that was me before I upload the game :bleh: ; unfortunately I didn't remember to "clean" it by running setup before the upload: sorry
[/b]
Thanks i got it working know, the problem was quite simple, do not laugh, after filling in your name you have to click the right mouse button!!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Yeah, when I checked it it worked for me too... BUT, I have to sincerely thank you for making me check the archive we've got on the site.

It appears the archive has not been properly cleaned of old user data, and some of the files were altered from their original state (not to mention two of them completely missing).
I've got a different copy that hasn't been tampered with, however, and thus it will most likely replace the current archive in a few days.

-- Reed Richards
Old 11-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Oct 10 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]260457[/snapback]
Quote:
It appears the archive has not been properly cleaned of old user data, and some of the files were altered from their original state (not to mention two of them completely missing).
[/b]
Hãm, yes... Sorry about that Horseman. I know it doesn't serve as an excuse but, that was the first game I uploaded to the site and I probably missed some of the regular procedures (some that I am more aware now). I'm glad you could fix it. k:
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 11-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Don't worry, Shrek.

Besides, you could not have found out about the missing/altered files without cross-checking with another copy of the game.

Having Kosta's thumbs-up on the matter, I have already uploaded the fixed archive to FTP.
Would have replaced it too, if it wasn't that for some reason I cannot access the file manager anymore. Oh, well.

-- Reed Richards