Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
wackypanda
Abandonia nerd

ISO should be on FTP now.
wackypanda is offline                         Send a private message to wackypanda
Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #12
wackypanda
Abandonia nerd

I'm not sure if Admiral Sea Battles can run from an archive. It installs WinG if installed from the ISO and has a config.exe that stores video and audio settings in the registry. I'll put the archive up if you think that can be fixed.

Admiral Sea Battles ISO is in the Cellar.

I won't have time to do the review for a while yet, so I'll leave that up for grabs.
wackypanda is offline                         Send a private message to wackypanda
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypanda View Post
I'm not sure if Admiral Sea Battles can run from an archive. It installs WinG if installed from the ISO and has a config.exe that stores video and audio settings in the registry.
I remember a similar problem with Nightmare Creatures. We settled with providing a registry fix. As for WinG, installing it is as simple as copying the DLL to c:\windows\system32\ But still all this means it can't be run directly from an archive.

Personally I think it's obvious that as we start including Windows games, we should, and will have no choice but to host original installers instead zipped program files. But we'll have to discuss it among the staff.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #14
wackypanda
Abandonia nerd

For Admiral Sea Battles it would be nice to run it from an archive, even if WinG and the registry entries have to be added manually, because the installer tries to measure free space and won't install if it gets freaked out by today's hard drives. But that route runs up against a CD check anyway. A virtual machine is the only other option.

The archive is about 18.5 MB zipped, so I'll go ahead and put it up first. (That brings up another point - the installer has 4 size settings. This was the largest one which would remain under 150 MB when unzipped.)

I'm guessing the main problem with offering installers is the size of the things?

Crush! Deluxe seems to be 95% functional if run from an archive (there are certain minor things to avoid doing) but for the CD check. I'd like to have a crack for that myself. Is there any news on that?

Last edited by wackypanda; 05-03-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #15
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Personally I think it's obvious that as we start including Windows games, we should, and will have no choice but to host original installers instead zipped program files. But we'll have to discuss it among the staff.
I don't think this would be a problem, Japo. None of the Abandonia staff members gave me concerns regarding my zipped archive for the Lost Mind of Dr. Brain containing the original installer.

You just might want to have a standard reminder for people that if the game needs to read from the CD, they need to keep the folder with the installer in the exact same spot as when they first installed it. This is because the installer folder is made to be the CD-ROM drive for the game; thus, this means the installer folder is treated like a real CD-ROM drive.

Proud Beta Tester for Desura Since October 28, 2010
Expack2 is offline                         Send a private message to Expack2
Old 05-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #16
wackypanda
Abandonia nerd

That assumes that the game is forgiving enough to read from "CD" that way. Anyway, let me know what to upload and I'll do my best.

Last edited by wackypanda; 05-03-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypanda View Post
I'm guessing the main problem with offering installers is the size of the things?
No necessarily, certainly not in the case of old games that take very little space anyway. It's the custom in abandonware websites, probably because that way the games are easier to play right after download, or because it's easier to find archives that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expack2 View Post
I don't think this would be a problem, Japo. None of the Abandonia staff members gave me concerns regarding my zipped archive for the Lost Mind of Dr. Brain containing the original installer.
Yes, up to now, when there's any difficulty, each game has been decided individually, by whichever updater was in charge of any particular case. But nowadays, as more and more of the new additions to the abandonware catalogs will begin to be for Windows in a greater proportion, we need to come up with defined conventions for them.
Old 27-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
wackypanda
Abandonia nerd

I found some interesting extras for Crush! Deluxe: http://www.cannonade.net/crush.php

The page has two things for download, a stats manager and an "all-star jam" for merging players from different teams into a new team. I don't know whether we can redistribute the installers. The exact conditions for redistribution (as provided in the readmes) are:

Quote:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
accompanying software that uses the DB software. The source code
must either be included in the distribution or be available for no
more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be
freely redistributable under reasonable conditions. For an
executable file, complete source code means the source code for all
modules it contains. It does not include source code for modules or
files that typically accompany the major components of the operating
system on which the executable file runs.
...but the creator's site itself does not provide source code. Could we provide a link to the site under extras or something?
Old 17-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
wackypanda
Abandonia nerd

I'm writing up a review for Admiral: Sea Battles (assuming no one has taken it). I have absolutely no idea how to make it run from an archive, so I don't know what to put under "How to run the game". Any ideas?