Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Time Machine (by Cryo)

I just remembered this game while playing Little Big Adventure. I think this was too a french game, and surely it had the same game-style (calm adventuring with some arcade and shooting), but I think this was much better then LBA.

Anyone else knows this game?

Maybe in time (when it'll turn abandonedware) this will earn its place too on this site, I think it'd deserve it.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 21-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

Are you sure it's Time Machine by Cryo Interactive not Time Commando from Adeline Software Int. the same company that made LBA?
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru
Old 21-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaru View Post
Are you sure it's Time Machine by Cryo Interactive not Time Commando from Adeline Software Int. the same company that made LBA?
Ye. I have the box of it right before me. Want a scan?
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 21-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

If you don't mind, then yeah. I can't find any info on Time Machine by Cryo Interactive.
Wait!
You mean the The New Adventures of the Time Machine? Just found it a moment ago on the Wiki. Appears that this title was designed by one of Cryo Interactive's subsidiaries - the Cryo Networks. That's why it didn't pop up on
Moby's and other sources when I was looking for it.
Shit. How did it happen that Cryo managed to survive up to 2008 (wiki) and MPS didn't? Beats me.
Old 21-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Shit. How did it happen that Cryo managed to survive up to 2008 (wiki) and MPS didn't? Beats me.
Maybe because they had games like Time Machine (they had this simple title on french and hungarian, so I didn't look further for the english title, especially as with the company's name search engine found it imediatelly).

On the other hand, no idea what MPS covers...

Anyway, a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 222.jpg (6.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 21-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

Thankie for the boxshot. Cool stuff. But hey, is that game any good? I've browsed through some reviews on various sites and they gave it some low marks (3/10 f.e.). Not that I trust those sites as they're probably loaded with ignorants.

PS. MPS is Microprose.
Old 22-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Thankie for the boxshot. Cool stuff. But hey, is that game any good? I've browsed through some reviews on various sites and they gave it some low marks (3/10 f.e.). Not that I trust those sites as they're probably loaded with ignorants.
I'd say TM(Cryo) is a superb game. Fantastic graphic, awesome story, many different quest, high originality, cool atmosphere.

It can be a little unusual for many because it is french, but I saw people here like Little Big Adventure for example.

There are some drawbacks though. There can be some bugs (but I never complained because of them, so they aren't that serious or constant), and the engine has its limits (sometimes you have to shoot like in a Tombraider/Unreal, but the lack of the engine is countered by the various spells you have on your hand). Also the program has low requirement, what I always prefer.

The only "quest" what can cause real difficulty is a sidequest for one of the hourglasses (and this is not a must). You have to throw pebbles on a board (it is like throwing darts to make a comparsion). Nothing is set to stone () for this "quest", but the AI is VERY good (here and all over the game), so you'll have to throw a good score. The way it is done is setting the strenght and the direction of the throws.
With one word: it is hard to reach the needed amount. The AI won't cheat, only push you to reach a nice score, what is not easy to do.

And the final battle: it is awesome. Not too hard, not at all easy, full of fireworks. Definitly a game worth to try.

I'd give 7.8/10, and confess it doesn't really have anything to do with the novel Time Machine.

PS: the worst thing in the hunagarian edition was the dubbing. At the time the game arrived to Hunagry dubbing-voices for computergames were always the same people, who were most famous about the VERY low PRICE they costed. But even they could not ruin this game for me.

Last edited by twillight; 22-04-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 22-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I love how the characters look in some of Cryo's games:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/playst...ShotId,199233/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...eShotId,14178/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...ShotId,470218/
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 22-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Meh, I lost my old personal notes, and there is no full walkthrough out there. Not to mention that for the full story you need to do things what doesn't effect anything.

Still, I'd have been most gratful for a complete list of spells and what shop sells what spells... Seems I'll have to do this the hard way (again).

Btw, the FIRST chapter IS buggy. Fortunatelly I realised I have unlimited mana is time-spheres, so no problem with saves
Old 23-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

SPOILER WARNING!!!

I played it twice in the past, and I actually like it. I played it prior to reading the reviews on the internet and so I was not influenced by the poor scores. I admit certain parts are frustrating, like that part when Wells and Ashamira had to open a door together (somehow I found that Ashamira was always too fast), or when the enemies disappeared from the screen (while Wells could still kill them), the quicksand, the sudden camera changes (with seemingly inconsistent angles), etc. But as I said, I actually like the game.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi