Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #141
Raasted
Abandonia nerd

It's a very nice feature (again, Jordan Mechner - )

I discovered the trick, when I had just made the jump, hanging on the ledge - and my friend asked me something - I held SHIFT, and answered him, and when I looked back at the screen - hey, the gate was lifting

/Raasted
Raasted is offline                         Send a private message to Raasted
Old 27-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #142
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell@Apr 21 2006, 02:00 PM

In the room with the exit, there is a ledge on the right hand side. The slab over the pressure plate that opens the gate on the left side of the room will fall if you walk on it. You may also be able to drop down to the ledge on the left, from above, but I have not tried it, you have been warned.
I finally tried to drop down to that ledge on level 9, from above. I died, so the rest of you have been warned. I also discovered an amusing bug that lets you finish the game in less than ten minutes. If you reload a saved game, but fail to win and start a new game, the second level is replaced with the level that the saved game started at. If you reloaded level twelve and run out of time, the next game is really quick. Facing Jeffar with only four points of life was daunting. I have since finished the game twice within the alloted hour. There is still some exploring I want to do on level ten, but have yet to figure out how to do it.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 30-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #143
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell+Apr 27 2006, 04:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rlbell @ Apr 27 2006, 04:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rlbell@Apr 21 2006, 02:00 PM

In the room with the exit, there is a ledge on the right hand side.* The slab over the pressure plate that opens the gate on the left side of the room will fall if you walk on it.* You may also be able to drop down to the ledge on the left, from above, but I have not tried it, you have been warned.
I finally tried to drop down to that ledge on level 9, from above. I died, so the rest of you have been warned. I also discovered an amusing bug that lets you finish the game in less than ten minutes. If you reload a saved game, but fail to win and start a new game, the second level is replaced with the level that the saved game started at. If you reloaded level twelve and run out of time, the next game is really quick. Facing Jeffar with only four points of life was daunting. I have since finished the game twice within the alloted hour. There is still some exploring I want to do on level ten, but have yet to figure out how to do it. [/b][/quote]
did you drop or fall down? otherwise you need to walk over those ties so they open the door which you would need later on.

you can do it by using cheats
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 30-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #144
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by gregor@Apr 30 2006, 04:51 PM

did you drop or fall down? otherwise you need to walk over those ties so they open the door which you would need later on.

you can do it by using cheats
I very carefully dropped just far enough to kill me (one level is safe, two levels causes a point of damage, three levels kills you dead.

I was very disappointed to get through that gate after the two chompers on level ten, only to find that there was nothing worth finding, or did I miss something?

Out of curiosity, has anyone successfully cheated his way past the mirror image, on level six? I seriously doubt that anything is there, but stranger things have happened.
Old 30-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #145
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell@Apr 30 2006, 11:34 PM

I very carefully dropped just far enough to kill me (one level is safe, two levels causes a point of damage, three levels kills you dead.

I was very disappointed to get through that gate after the two chompers on level ten, only to find that there was nothing worth finding, or did I miss something?

Out of curiosity, has anyone successfully cheated his way past the mirror image, on level six? I seriously doubt that anything is there, but stranger things have happened.
As far as I remember, there's nothing particularly interesting in level ten (green or major potions) and yeah, going past the two chompers is a waste of time. This is in fact one of the quickest and easiest levels in the game, a breeze compared to the three previous ones.

I'm afraid I've never gotten past the mirror image in level six.
Btw, I wonder wether it's possible or not to get the major potion in level 5 before the "ghost" does it?
TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #146
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by TheVoid@Apr 30 2006, 11:53 PM

I'm afraid I've never gotten past the mirror image in level six.
Btw, I wonder wether it's possible or not to get the major potion in level 5 before the "ghost" does it?
I cannot. The tile that you stand on to climb up to the level with the potion also opens the gate that the reflection runs through. YMMV, but I doubt that anyone else can, either. This may be the "plot point" that explains why rejoining your reflection on level 12 is the same as drinking one of those potions.

I came so close to finishing the game in under forty minutes, but my game went to pieces, once I got to level 12. I kept missing my jumps, and my reflection killed me before I sheathed my sword.

That guard on level 8 is either hit or miss, for me. I either kill him without a scratch, or my fingers never quite execute the forward-parry-lunge combination. Although not as difficult to kill, the fat guard on level six is the most fun to fight. I can get into a nice parry-lunge-repeat groove, where the clashing swords ring out and the blades flash back and forth for a few seconds, before a touch is scored. I am almost sorry if the fight ends too quickly. Jeffar is almost as cinematic to kill as the fat guard.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #147
Japo
Autonomous human

I find it advantageous to be very close to enemies during swordfights, once you've hit the foe you'll get to hit again without any likelihood of his parrying if you do it immediately afterwards. If you're not close, the enemy is out of reach for the second hit once he's stepped back after the first one.

I've just replayed this after the sequel (PoP2) and in the latter swordfights are not only much more numerous, but also much more difficult! Every foe in PoP seemed to me like piece of cake after having just played PoP2.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:08 AM   #148
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@May 1 2006, 10:52 PM
I find it advantageous to be very close to enemies during swordfights, once you've hit the foe you'll get to hit again without any likelihood of his parrying if you do it immediately afterwards. If you're not close, the enemy is out of reach for the second hit once he's stepped back after the first one.

I've just replayed this after the sequel (PoP2) and in the latter swordfights are not only much more numerous, but also much more difficult! Every foe in PoP seemed to me like piece of cake after having just played PoP2.
I should be so lucky. I can, sometimes, get in a pair of hits; however, as my speed style of play does not allow for swordplay mistakes, I am too timid in my fighting. The only big health potion that I bother to get is the one on level four. By the time I have gotten it, the closed gate barring the way to the rest of the level is open, despite my knowing precisely how it is done.

My time for the first seven levels is about eighteen minutes, and it can take me as little as twenty more to finish the game (best game yet is 21 minutes, 31 seconds, remaining).

Once I master getting in close, I should be able to slice another four minutes off my time. I have no idea how the fellow claiming to do it in fifteen minutes accomplished that feat.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #149
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Level 11or something like that (the oen that is again in the fancy palace surrounding). you can just smash down one of the tile from the above and then you can run on the top over the guard (no need to fight and time the jump) till the very end. then you go down open the doors and continue. it's saves a lot of time.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 29-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #150
heLL0
Forum hobbit

I remember playing this with my friend. We used to draw the directions and hints on a paper all exited about completeing the game...
heLL0 is offline                         Send a private message to heLL0