Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-09-2004, 05:05 AM   #51
revgb
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to revgb

the dog that follows u around is dogmeat hes a faithful compainion and he kiks ass.
(at least i tihnk ur talking about dogmeat)

bloody mess was an awsome perk
revgb is offline                         Send a private message to revgb
Old 05-09-2004, 08:00 AM   #52
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

If fallout 3 will use the same engine as the next elderscrolls game, I would follow the countdown to the opening of the new website of TES4 (or whatever they're going to do) perhaps they'll show some screenshots of what they've got at the moment (way back last year people running the fansites were already invited to check out the new engine...) by now they must have something... perhaps it'll give us an idea of what fallout 3 will look like

so far the countdown is still going on (5 more days)
Old 05-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #53
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hope we do get some screenshots. I'm not sure what they could improve drastically on the existing engine except the faces. Other then that some animation things I guess and texturing. The existing game still looks awesome and has a hard time running on anything but the best computers on good detail levels.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 05-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #54
unclefester
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by The Picard@Aug 31 2004, 11:43 AM
IF this is getting a first person perpective then it will still not be a FPS. Especially the shooter part would be absent. Just look at morrowind. That is anything but a shooter. It has the emerging power of actually being able to walk through the world but there are no endless waves of enemies jumping out from every corner. I think that is what they are trying to do with Fallout3 and I am anctious to see some results.
I think that fallout if wasreal time and had fp perspective would be like a fps. When you entered the military base it was full of mutants. You could throw a grenade and kill three of them.
unclefester is offline                         Send a private message to unclefester
Old 05-09-2004, 01:53 PM   #55
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by The Picard@Sep 5 2004, 12:10 PM
Hope we do get some screenshots. I'm not sure what they could improve drastically on the existing engine except the faces. Other then that some animation things I guess and texturing. The existing game still looks awesome and has a hard time running on anything but the best computers on good detail levels.
are yout alking about the Morrowind engine?
The morrowind engine was, in my opinion, terrible.
I mean it has okay graphics, but I can run Doom 3 on Ultra Settings faster than Morrowind in a crowded area.

The textures (both the people and objects) weren't pretty.
they looked stretched and fake.
I realized this after playing mods that improved face textures and object textures completely. And a new mod that completely changed the models of PC and NPCs (making it smoother and much more realistic)

And CTD's (crashes to desktop) aren't uncommon either while playing morrowind.
Most players are asking a more stable and up-to-date engine.
That doesn't mean Half Life 2 models and things like that (it would be nice) but more like farcry (which also has amazing graphics)
A large drawdistance.

One of the biggest atmosphere issues in morrowind was that you didn't feel like you were on an island with an active vulcano spewing lava.
You'd see fog.
Even on the volcano itself you'd just see dark rocks and some lava once in a while.
Players expected to see morrowind like in arena. Up in the air a gigantic towering volcano spewing lava down its slopes.

I hope Fallout 3 and TES4 use a stable AND pretty engine (well who doesn't?)
Old 05-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #56
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I think you are being a bit too harshe on Morrowind here. Sure it had some points you can moan about but on the whole it looked (and looks) amazing. It is powerhungry yes but then it does a whole lot more then any FPS. Don't compare Morrowind to a FPS because it is not. It works differently and tries to do different things. People especially work a lot different then in FPS. Each person in Morrowind is a unique individual that is handeled by the computer as being unique. FPS have monsters that are all the same and behave all the same (you might have different monsters but all Helldemons act like oneanother).

Morrowind was buggy as was every Elder Scrolls game before it. The people that are working on the games are not the best in the bussiness but they try to cramm everything they can think of in a single game and this leads to problems. Playing Morrowind led to crashes now and then but it was not unplayable because of it.

As I mentioned in my own post faces, animations and textures were the biggest grippes you could have with the graphics of Morrowind and I hope they improve uppon that in the new engine. Better weather effects are of course welcome (like fog) but it was not something I missed perticularly when playing Morrowind. The existing weather effects are breathtaking (well they were when the game came out).

I too hope that the new engine will improve upon what exists today, What I wanted to say with my orrigional post was that even today the graphics of Morrowind are still top notch and with very little alteration could fit in any game in the genre.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 05-09-2004, 03:23 PM   #57
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of morrowind.
But I just hope they've learned from their mistakes.
A lot of people (including me) are hoping for a great game (be it fallout 3 or TES4) it would be a terrible shame if they disappointed all the fans.

Well for the time being the big fans are in a TES-nirvana what with all the clues given about the next TES game.
Turns out the Bloodmoon expansion contained far more foreshadowing hints than we expected (the first 3 lines at the top of the countdown pages were from some madman in Bloodmoon)
The title will probably be Oblivion and will be about the death of the emperor and the downfall of the empire (well, perhaps not downfall, just chaos)
The gates of oblivion will open and the deadra will (probably) swarm the land.
There will probably be talk of an heir to the imperial throne.

Some say that because of all the political unrest the game will take place in the Imperial province itself!
while others claim the game will take place in the province of Summurset isles because thats where the gate to oblivion is (don't ask me, thats just what I heard the lore-fanatics say in their geeky voices)
Personally I think it'll be in summurset since that is, like Vvardenfell (gamingworld in Morrowind) surrounded by water and thus an easier choice than a province surrounded by land.

But personally I'm hoping for Cyrodiil (the imperial province) I miss the political intrigue in Daggerfall.

Anyway, i'm way off topic
Old 05-09-2004, 05:09 PM   #58
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It does sound interresting and no matter where it will be set the game world will be huge and varied like before. We will know more in five days.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:00 PM   #59
alienstookmybeer

I tried replaying Fallout 2 on my XP system and it crashes with a Can't load text/fonts error. Anyone see this and know how to get around it?
alienstookmybeer is offline                         Send a private message to alienstookmybeer
Old 18-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #60
BlackMageJawa
Game Wizzard

Hmm, I've had no troubles with Fallout 1 or Tactics on my XP machine. I wasn't planning to even install 2 until I'd finished the first game, but I could just give it a quick try to see if there are any problems.
BlackMageJawa is offline                         Send a private message to BlackMageJawa