Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 25-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
britneylou

Wink

I've downloaded the DOSbox program following the tutorial to a T, and although it's up and running, it doesn't start up with a C:\, but a Z:\ which i understand is the basic system drive. now, i sorted that prob by going to intro and mounting the c-drive, but when i search the directory it goes straight to the main c-drive directory - i.e. my whole hard drive, rather than the '4 lines of output' which the tutorial says should appear. Am i doing something cringingly wrong here?Well, i am a girl after all, and doing all this is a bit new to me.
Also, when i've tried to overlook this prob by downloading the suggested tutorial game 'flashback', i had problems with saving the game as my computer unzips files with extraction wizard rather than win-zip. Should this really be a problem? Tried with another game or two but then when it comes to running it in DOS, there's no install or run option. AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! this probably doesnt make sense but would v much appreciate any guidance cos i want to play police quest, like, now!!!!

x x x britters x x
britneylou is offline                         Send a private message to britneylou
Old 25-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What do you mean by four lines of output?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 25-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
britneylou

well, it says on the tutorial, when u look at the directory of 'CDrive' (i.e., the new folder u need to create when dosbox is first created), that the directory will only give four lines of output, with "0 Files(s) 0 Bytes." but instead it opens a whole can of crap and shows everything in my hard drive. and, just to moan about something else, (altho it must be all linked) when i do the TEST folder it says to do, it attatches it to my hard drive rather than the 'CDrive' folder in Dosbox. oh dear, i'm afraid i'm quite blonde (even tho i'm a brunette).
britneylou is offline                         Send a private message to britneylou
Old 25-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Odd. What system are you running? DOSBox works fine for me in WinXP, but I never could get it to run in Win98.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 25-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
britneylou

winxp here too, thought it would all be okay, esp as i'm follwing the 'recipe', something i wudnt normally do. ive uninstalled and reinstalled too many times to count, as i'm sure i'm doing something wrong. oh, woe.
Old 25-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Flop
Hero Gamer

It seems to me that you've accidentally mounted your whole harddrive instead of just the C:\dos\cdrive folder. This isn't really a problem as you can just type:

cd dos
cd cdrive

and you'll be in the folder you want. But just to make sure, could you please post what your config file says under [autoexec]?
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 26-06-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
britneylou

oke doke, will have a go... i put exactly what it says to write under the autoexec in conf. but just to make sure i cut and pasted it on a few of my attempts in this whole shebang :

mount C C:\DOS\CDrive
mount D D:\ -t cdrom (or any other letter of your CD drive)
C:
CLS

if this isn't right then no wonder!

x x x
Old 26-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Take out the bit in parentheses to start off. Mine looks like this and I've no problems:

mount c c:\dosprogs
mount d e:\ -t cdrom
c:
cls
dir /w

Maybe you need lower case letters?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 26-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Flop
Hero Gamer

It's not case sensitive AFAIK. Try to remove the line that says CLS, and see what it says when you start DOSBox.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 26-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #10
britneylou

New Problem!

I mentioned i was unzipping the compressed file of flashback with extraction wizard, but when i try and extract it to the dosbox cdrive it comes up with an error window saying:

file skipped unknown compression method

and won't extract it, even to another location - i've tried them all!
Closed Thread