Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #31

So for the records, I'm using the Amiga Version, v1.73
I just created a fresh character and went straight to him like you and he did not want to join.
Then I reloaded, took Silk with me (without having him join a guild) - Boldin still didn't want to join.
Finally I trained a bit, made both Silk and my main character join the fighters guild (and thus made it impossible for me to have a thief - thought this could be a trigger or something) but Boldin STILL doesn't want to join.
Now I'm stumped.
This must be a bug. Wonder if I can hack boldin into my party by hexing around the savegame.

Old 14-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #32
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
So for the records, I'm using the Amiga Version, v1.73
I just created a fresh character and went straight to him like you and he did not want to join.
Then I reloaded, took Silk with me (without having him join a guild) - Boldin still didn't want to join.
Finally I trained a bit, made both Silk and my main character join the fighters guild (and thus made it impossible for me to have a thief - thought this could be a trigger or something) but Boldin STILL doesn't want to join.
Now I'm stumped.
This must be a bug. Wonder if I can hack boldin into my party by hexing around the savegame.
O I forgot - I'm using the German version (there are differences between the language versions too, regarding bugs and such, if I'm not misinformed)

Old 14-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #33
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
O I forgot - I'm using the German version (there are differences between the language versions too, regarding bugs and such, if I'm not misinformed)
I just tried the German v1.93 from thalion webshrine (which are pre-installed adf files with default character). Boldin joins on that one.
So my HD install/disks are b0rked and so is my savegame.

Old 15-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #34
Acethor
HECU Marine

I never played the Amiga version, so I don't know what the bugs are there. It certainly seems like a bug though, Boldin not joining. I have played the PC version extensively though, so there's a couple of bugs here that you can take advantage of if you want an upper hand on the game. Of course you can choose to simply not use them if you're a gaming 'purist'

Two of the main bugs worth mentioning are the 'Item Charge' bug, and the 'Missile Bug' as I call them. The Item Charge bug occurs when you use up all the charges in a magic item, and while the item will disappear from your inventory (make sure it's equipped before you use the last charge), all the attributes the item gave will stay with your character. For example, with the Firebasher and Frostbiter swords that you can find, give them to one of your fighters and use up the charges on both, one after another. Your fighter will now have like 40+ damage, AND an empty slot in hand to place another weapon. Not to mention that the character also retains special bonuses as well such as +LP, +SP, or +Attributes. This can be used for any equippable items such as swords, staves, helmets, brooches, armor, basically anything that has magic charges that can be used up. Think it's not fair? Well there's another bug which dis-allows you to use the "balsam" potion, which gives like +60 damage for 10 rounds to your character (the game crashes when you drink it) so I think it all evens out

One thing to watch out for though is a "counter-bug" which occurs if you do this too many times on other characters. You will notice that every time you exhaust a weapons charges, your main character's weapon or armor value(depending on whether it was weapon or armor that you were exhausting of charges) will be MINUSED by however much armor or damage you have from your weapon. Wait, I know this sounds confusing, but let me make it simpler. Say you have two characters. You give Firebasher to your second character and you use all the charges in order to take advantage of the bug. Your first character is holding a knife (nothing else) which has 3 damage. When you use up the last charge on the Firebasher, you will notice that your first character now has 0 attack. If you unequip the knife, the attack will go down to -3. It's the same with armor. There is however a way to get around this. Try to get the Bi-Handed sword from Sansri's Temple, and the Boots or Clothes of Moira from wherever. As you may know, both are cursed items (Bi-handed sword does -5 damage, and armor of Moira gives 0 armor), but I'm sure you can already guess how they may be used to cheat this bug. Just equip them on your main character, then exhaust the charges on your weapon or armor. You'll have to pay a healer to destroy them for you afterwards though.

The second bug, the 'Missile Bug', occurs when you hold a missile weapon (Bow, Longbow, Sling) in your hand, and instead of holding an arrow in your right, hold a SHIELD (Towershield, Shield of Parry, Buckler). Next time you attack, your character will fire the shield as if it were an arrow, and the shield's defense/attack and anything else you gain while holding it will be added to your character! But the shield will disappear, which means you are free to put another shield in and watch your defense count soar! Be warned though that having multiple shields of the same type in your inventory as the kind you are firing, they will all disappear. Best to use a combination of roundshields, bucklers, small towershields, and towershields. You can stack as many shields as you want on your character, and unlike the other bug, this one has no negative side effects. So when you find that chest in the Castle of Manyeyes with like 20 shields in it, don't sell them ... You know what to do.

I'm not sure if these bugs are present in the Amiga or German versions, so you should test them out if they work.

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 29-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #35
Wolfus

I have to tell, that I finished Amberstar about 5 times and I have favourite party:
Wolfus (warrior - main character)
Silk (thief - Twinlake)
Gryban (paladin - Crystal)
Trasric (b.wiz - Crystal)
Crag (w.wiz - tower)
Drobanir (warrior - Gemstone)

I tried other characters (g.wiz from g.wiz tower, monk from Snakesign and thief from dragon's island), but I think they are not as good as my fav. characters...
Wolfus is offline                         Send a private message to Wolfus
Old 31-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #36
Acethor
HECU Marine

I agree with all except Silk... It's just way too easy to go to Gelinda's castle and pick up Boldin, who is already a (lvl 6 IIRC) Thief.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #37
Wolfus

But Silk have nice moustache AND! Thief in Ambermoon said Silk was first guildmaster of new found thieves guild. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it helps to build atmosphere
Old 04-01-2010, 04:16 AM   #38
Acethor
HECU Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus View Post
But Silk have nice moustache
LOL hehehe

Silk is the new guildmaster huh. In AS the guild mistress was Breth's sister or something...
I really need to get around to playing Ambermoon...
Are you using WinUAE?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #39
Wolfus

Most of the time real Amiga 1200, outside of home WinUAE on notebook. Great way to use WinUAE (not only for beginners) is http://hobring.esero.net/games.htm - there is step-by-step walkthrough and also prepared easy-to-use "packs" with popular Amiga games.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #40
Acethor
HECU Marine

Have you played the version here on Abandonia, the DOS version? If so can you tell me... how does the graphics compare to the Amiga version? Better or worse?

Because I heard that the Amiga's gfx are better, but when I look at screenshots I don't see much of a difference