Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #21
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Old 23-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Stop overexagerating... It took me little less than a year, and it was because that game is extremely complex. It would probably take a lifetime for anybody to master it, let alone play enough games to write a review.

Beside, you all seem to be missing the whole point. Why ask me to contribute when the problem doesn't rely there at all? I'm already contributing: I'm stating a problem I have with the site. Just like Steyr27.

You might not care in the least but I really did stop to even visit the main page of this site years ago because I was fed up with what I consider useless updates. That is a problem. Most of the crew just choose to ignore it by hiding behind "if you want it fixed then contribute" shenanigans...
Old 24-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #23
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

But that's the solution of your problem. If so many reviews are contributed that we have to do daily game updates, there is no place to annoy you with extras updates daily. And the more game updates the more readers according to your theory. And we want more readers, don't we? Actually, not necessarily. We make a site about old DOS games. If nobody besides us would be interested in old DOS games, we would still make this site. Since we like these games, we wouldn't switch to Wii games just to get more readers. And, honestly, if someone comes here to simply download games and away he is (perhaps coming back for five minutes to ask questions because he didn't read the manual we have as an extra), and this visitor doesn't like boxshots or the like - then I don't care. We are here for the whole gaming experience, and someone who doesn't want or understand that isn't our main target audience. He is welcome, but he has to find his stuff between all the useless extras by himself. We won't place only his favourite articles in our supermarket.

I don't consider you as a visitor. That was just an example for our largest audience since you seem to want to do hard calculations.

P.S. Back when I did a daily boxshots update, we surely had more readers than we would've had if there weren't updates at all.
Old 24-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

If you don't like them, then ignore them. I like them and I use them. Box shots are like art to me. There's more to the site than just game downloads and reviews. News is news. Whether or not you care about it. Reminds me of PC hardware sites where people bitch because there's mention of an Apple product, and they feel news should be tailored specifically for them.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 24-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #25
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well, that's exactly the point. Why not tailor the news specifically for everybody? Make it so you have an option to remove the news about specific things.

It is not that I don't like boxshots... It is simply that there is now almost only that in the news and, sorry to break it to you all, I didn't come to this site to look at art... So when I go to the front page and see 90% boxshot news, I completely lose interest.

Also, for contribution... You know very well that most good games are already reviewed. There might be a gem left here and there, but most of what we have left to review is crappy games. Add to that the fact that as much as I'd like to do more reviews I just can't seem to be able to find the time to do it... And you end up with a little amount of reviews. I don't think that will ever change either: we all have a life outside this site.

My own contribution is more forum related. I have been the mod of Troubleshooting for a long time now. I do try to readily help people who can't play those games we have on site. That's not nothing either... But it won't be a factor in solving this problem either.

That's pretty much the main point I'd like to introduce. You can add secondary points all you like, the main point still remain. Even if we had 100 reviews to suddenly fall in our hands, I know we would not see them the day after. Updaters would feel like those updates which were already planned have to be given priority, then we'll want to keep a reserve of reviewed games to make sure we have something to show people on the front page for a while, etc.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #26
jesters.ice
Forum hobbit

Keep the boxshots coming. The games feel more complete this way. That's all I have to say.
Old 31-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #27
Pex
Game Wizzard

We could obviously make a poll whether or not people want to know about updates regarding boxshots, but I don't think that should change anything. I, for example, don't even bother reading an update if it's for a game that I don't care about and it doesn't make difference if it's an update about the game itself being put on the site, or about a manual or a boxshot. But that doesn't mean everybody else feel the same about that game. Same is with the boxshots.

The whole point is that this is a non-profitable site run, managed and contributed to by volunteers. We are not trying to sell a product and therefore trim updates to attract special target group. We are not trying to win some prestigious award of a forum with most of the active members. As someone said, we would keep running thing the way we do whether we had 1000 members or 10, because that's what the site is made for - preserving abandoned games and all that comes with them, whether it's an award winning title and the crapiest game ever.

So, if someone desides to stop visiting the site just because the news are (lately) only about the boxshots, that's their choice and no one's loss but theirs.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #28
Alexis78
Forum hobbit

I think that the box is a valuable thing.

Thanks to the scanned boxshots some people can do posters from games, mostly using that shotboxs, like these here:

This one is printed on canvas, itīs expensive, 200 dollars! but itīs amazing

compare the size with a CD

This one hasnīt the letters, only the drawing (here is a lot of work).

No words...

And so on

Besides all of this, I like to see the boxes, remembering it, or comparing with other editions, languages, formats, etc...why not?

And about the latest news is only showing boxes is because the people uploads what they want/can, so if they "only" have boxes, manuals, etc...thatīs the news!

And if you complain about it, look it in the other languages, there are some "latest news" from years ago, so, at least you have news in english.
Alexis78 is offline                         Send a private message to Alexis78
Old 09-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #29
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You guys are still no closer to understanding the point... This is kind of sad.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #30
Aramazon
Abandonia nerd

The issue being: the news has been swamped with box shots recently...yeah I've noticed that too...the site's been a real drag lately with updates that get me excited...I mean game updates.

I'm not denouncing box shots, I appreciate them and one day when I've got tons of cash to burn I'll make epic posters of my favourite games thanks to them.

I think the issue is that lots of people check the website frequently because they like to see the game updates...I know I love reading every single new review out.

Lately I haven't been so active, but I do check every day, and there haven't been a good number of game reviews over the past couple months.

Now let me propose a solution:
Clearly we need more game reviews...what if a new forum section was created JUST for reviews...the needing reviews list thread seems a little bit...dry, there's some reviews on there that have been TAKEN for a long time now, games that I would happily write a review for.

Admittedly, I still have War Wind 2 taken, but I couldn't bring myself to keep playing it long enough to get a good review, it drove me up the wall.

Also Conqueror wasn't on the list, but it was in the ISO cellar.

Make an entire section just for reviews so that we can renew the whole review list. Also, so that we can have a place to put up our reviews unofficially for critique and proofreading. I know I would love that.

Make people aware that lots of great games in the ISO cellar need reviewing, I did Blood and Magic a while back, I'm finished writing my review for Conqueror so that game could be made as an update real soon.

I've tried to review that one game on the reviews wanted list called Discovery: In the steps of Columbus, but I found I couldn't play it and I couldn't find any help online...that's the kind of thing we could post about in the reviews section..."I'm trying to review a game, anyone know how to play it?"

I'd be more than happy to get back into Mechwarrior 2 and write a review for that as well.

What I'm suggesting is put more focus on encouraging reviews, and then let's get those good ol' game updates coming in.
Aramazon is offline                         Send a private message to Aramazon