Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Perplexico

Default 2 games: 1 top-down season-changing cutesy strategy game. Other: Descent-style 6DOF

Hi! I'm trying to remember 2 games (both found on the same demo disc, around 1995.. I've searched for it, but can't remember..) from a PC magazine in the mid 1990's, in Europe. This is as much as I can remember:

1) A top-down, (real time strategy?) game where you have these cute little sprite-looking creatures. The seasons change, and in winter they build igloos. In spring, these little flowers sprout up.. For the life of me, I can't remember anything more about it.
As pointed out on Reddit, it's Baldies.

2) A game, sort of similar to Descent, where you're a ship that can fly in 6 degrees of free movement. The color scheme was very distinctive -- it was black, with vibrant neon orange and yellow colors. You'd have to navigate from room to room shooting things.
Edit: As pointed out below, it's Pyrotechnica.

Thanks for your help, everyone. Cases closed. You're all amazing.

Last edited by Perplexico; 22-10-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Perplexico is offline                         Send a private message to Perplexico
Old 21-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Perplexico

Update on game #1: Someone on Reddit pointed out that the first game I'm looking for might be "Baldies" (link to Abandonia file for it: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/622/Baldies.html)

This looks VERY similar to what I remember, minus the seasons changing -- that definitely helped. Apparently the studio made a sequel called "Skullcaps" which does have winters, and the Igloos I remember, but there's something a little off--I don't remember building soldiers or anything like that. It was more light-hearted, kiddy, snowballs, etc. Maybe it's another game that studio made.. Hm..
Perplexico is offline                         Send a private message to Perplexico
Old 21-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
Bugamn
Abandonia nerd

I think they ask for people to post only one game request per thread.

Anyway, on the second game you should try searching for Descent-likes, they aren't very numerous. A quick search found this thread on GoG. Some of the highlights are Radix, Terracide, Forsaken, Defiance, with mentions also of Terminal Velocity and G-Police.
Bugamn is offline                         Send a private message to Bugamn
Old 22-10-2015, 01:29 AM   #4
Perplexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugamn View Post
I think they ask for people to post only one game request per thread.

Anyway, on the second game you should try searching for Descent-likes, they aren't very numerous. A quick search found this thread on GoG. Some of the highlights are Radix, Terracide, Forsaken, Defiance, with mentions also of Terminal Velocity and G-Police.
Thanks for the advice--and my bad, about the 1 game per thread. I checked that out, but it doesn't look like any of those are the game I'm thinking of.

It's very distinctive looking -- almost all black, but with super-bright orange and yellow enemies. Hm..
Old 22-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
Amayirot Akago
Hiya, dollface.

Was the Descent-like game Pyrotechnica, perhaps?

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/47...otechnica.html
Old 22-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
Perplexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amayirot Akago View Post
Was the Descent-like game Pyrotechnica, perhaps?

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/47...otechnica.html
That's it! Thank you! <3 You're the best. I wonder why, in many searches, it never came up, despite the obvious parallels to Descent and the rarity of free movement shooters?